Gary Rowett says Tweaks in January

Curtains

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still time for him to change his mind, again.

23rd Sept – ‘Big window’

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/derby-county-boss-gary-rowett-517996

"I don't think we did as much as we would like to have done in the summer," said the Rams manager.

"That was quite frustrating and so I think January will be a big window."

7th December – ‘not a massive window for us’

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2017/12/rams-expecting-tweaks-to-be-made-during-january-transfer-window

“I don’t imagine it to be a massive window for us. I think we will just tweak one or two areas if we can in the right way.

6 minutes ago, metalsheep02 said:

23rd Sept – ‘Big window’

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/derby-county-boss-gary-rowett-517996

"I don't think we did as much as we would like to have done in the summer," said the Rams manager.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2017/12/rams-expecting-tweaks-to-be-made-during-january-transfer-window

“I don’t imagine it to be a massive window for us. I think we will just tweak one or two areas if we can in the right way.

To be fair, I think the change in opinion might be to do with our league position. 

It's going well, and since that quote we have seen Ledley become indispensable and Weimann to get into the swing of things. 

I imagine he was wanting a CM and winger when he said that January will be a big window.

1 hour ago, EulogyForEvolution said:

To be fair, I think the change in opinion might be to do with our league position. 

It's going well, and since that quote we have seen Ledley become indispensable and Weimann to get into the swing of things. 

I imagine he was wanting a CM and winger when he said that January will be a big window.

Bang on. He was probably still smarting over the Kieftenbeld thing at that point. Now we have Ledley and we are probably in a better position than he expected. 

Focus will be on shifting people out I reckon, and maybe one winger in. Can't see any more than that.

Major surgery not required. Better not to destabilise good work so far. 

2 hours ago, EulogyForEvolution said:

A sensible, well reason post. What are you doing on this forum?!

we will certainly benefit in the FFP world with MAJOR salary savings if we were able to move on :

Olsson / Forsyth

Shackell / Pearce

Martin / Russell

Anya

Bent

Weimann

also Bryson, Blackman & Butterfield ...

That should free up so space for incomings ??

19 minutes ago, bucktwo said:

we will certainly benefit in the FFP world with MAJOR salary savings if we were able to move on :

Olsson / Forsyth

Shackell / Pearce

Martin / Russell

Anya

Bent

Weimann

If we sold 12 players we would certainly need to bring in quite a few players... not all of them you listed would we want to get rid of and many of them we probably wouldnt be able to anyway.

1 hour ago, bucktwo said:

Olsson / Forsyth

Shackell / Pearce

Martin / Russell

Anya

Bent

Weimann

Pearce signed a new contract about 4 weeks ago.

yea I know about Pearce ... 

Likely Shackall 

either one of the left backs 

Likely one of Martin / Russell 

Rowett alluded to the fact that some that move on may have done really well for him ... That brings anyone of the ones listed into the possible wheeler dealing and possibly others too ?  

5 hours ago, metalsheep02 said:

23rd Sept – ‘Big window’

We signed Ledley inbetween times.

As it’s been said already, quarter of a season 12 games played between those quotes, we have gone from 15th in the table and 5pts outside the top 6, to 6th and a 2pts away from 3rd, 3pts from 7th.

Possibly frustrated by the collapse of the Kieftenbeld transfer 27 days prior, Ledley has since gone from being a temporary stop gap to a long term signing having proved himself. 

Clearly the situation has changed between these quotes as it does quite often in football. 

If anything this is a positive for the club that January is no longer a month where we need to go big and pay the inflated fees.

Outgoings are still obviously a priority given the size of the squad and players that are not involved currently.

Would be surprised if anyone thinks this should be a big window now given our position in the table. 

Archived