Craig Forsyth

Ninos

We all see different things in different  players, but I really dont rate Forsyth......mainly due to his poor passing, distribution and crossing. He was pretty much like that the season before he got injured. I will never forget the amount of times he passed the ball to the opponants in our 0 - 3 defeat to reading...... a long time ago, but it was shocking.

I am sure someone will prove me wrong with his passing accuracy stats.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, wingfieldram said:

We all see different things in different  players, but I really dont rate Forsyth......mainly due to his poor passing, distribution and crossing. He was pretty much like that the season before he got injured. I will never forget the amount of times he passed the ball to the opponants in our 0 - 3 defeat to reading...... a long time ago, but it was shocking.

I am sure someone will prove me wrong with his passing accuracy stats.

You should be quite safe with this, easily his weakest part of the game.

50 minutes ago, philmycock said:

Lowe’s our best left back

He looks good on the ball, but he flatters to deceive in my opinion. I've seen him play in the last few u23's games and he hasn't looked anything special at that level and even looks like he struggles with pace when chasing back to defend. He does like to get forward, but hasn't been doing a great deal with the ball he gets into decent positions. He's not long come back from injury and might still be struggling with fitness though.

From whoscored.com...

Craig Forsyth Characteristics

+ Strengths

Aerial Duels / Strong

Crossing / Strong

Key passes / Strong

Concentration / Strong

- Weaknesses

(Player has no significant weaknesses)

From squawka.com

Performance Score123  Total Appearances13  Total Goals Scored 0  Total Chances Created 10  Avg. Pass Accuracy 68%  Avg. Pass Length 21m  Avg.   Duels Won 50%  Avg. Defensive Actions 7  Total Defensive Errors1  Total Yellow/Red3/0

Does rather appear that the stats don't back up the whingers' observations but that's not entirely unusual or surprising. Some folk just find it impossible to post anything without sniping at one or more of the team. 

9 minutes ago, 86 points said:

From whoscored.com...

+ Strengths

Aerial Duels / Strong

Crossing / Strong

Key passes / Strong

Concentration / Strong

- Weaknesses

From squawka.com

Performance Score123  Total Appearances13  Total Goals Scored 0  Total Chances Created 10  Avg. Pass Accuracy 68%  Avg. Pass Length 21m  Avg.   Duels Won 50%  Avg. Defensive Actions 7  Total Defensive Errors1  Total Yellow/Red3/0

Does rather appear that the stats don't back up the whingers' observations but that's not entirely unusual or surprising. Some folk just find it impossible to post anything without sniping at one or more of the team. 

Fair point, but most fans will have some criticism of certain players. its only natural. I am more than happy with most of the players in our starting 11 (and will always support every Derby County Player), but do feel that Craig is a bit of a weak link. I may be totally wrong. Its just what I see.

Would it be better if we didnt post any criticism?

24 minutes ago, 86 points said:

From whoscored.com...

+ Strengths

Aerial Duels / Strong

Crossing / Strong

Key passes / Strong

Concentration / Strong

- Weaknesses

From squawka.com

Player has no significant weaknesses vs avg. pass accuracy 68%

Someone is lying. :lol:

4 minutes ago, wingfieldram said:

Fair point, but most fans will have some criticism of certain players. its only natural. I am more than happy with most of the players in our starting 11 (and will always support every Derby County Player), but do feel that Craig is a bit of a weak link. I may be totally wrong. Its just what I see.

Would it be better if we didnt post any criticism?

Where have I said that? And are you saying folk should not counter your posts if they disagree with them? It wasn't specifically your post I was responding to in any case. Also, I happen to think that Craig is, at Championship level at least, a pretty decent left back, but then what would I know? 

36 minutes ago, 86 points said:

From whoscored.com...

+ Strengths

Aerial Duels / Strong

Crossing / Strong

Key passes / Strong

Concentration / Strong

- Weaknesses

From squawka.com

Whilst we all know Forsyth’s strengths as a straight up “stopper” in Defense, I think it’s the highlighted part that forms most of the criticism of him. Simply put, that success rate is nowhere near good enough for a defender in the modern day, we need to be able to rely on him to distribute the ball, otherwise it’ll just come straight back against us. You can make as many tackles as you like, but if you can’t then start a move afterwards it all goes to waste.

Its always been Forsyth’s problem imo, whilst you could argue his poor crossing atm is a lack of matches, I’m not convinced that his passing is really going to Improve. Trouble is where Olson makes up in playing the ball, he lacks in Defense. Lowe is the best of both, but if he can’t be relied on we need a new left back. Forsyth as an individual is a weak link at the moment, and is contributing (along with the midfield) in our struggles to control the game.

5 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Forsyth was in the team of the week against Boro, after playing against Christie, the divisions best full back.

Forsyth has been injured for the best part of two years and is still getting match fit.

I agree though Olson looked good at the start of the season and it seems strange he was dropped and never seen again.

Not having a dig at Forsyth in any way, but how long can this be used as a way to defend criticism towards him? We're nearly halfway through the season.

46 minutes ago, 86 points said:

From whoscored.com...

+ Strengths

Aerial Duels / Strong

Crossing / Strong

Key passes / Strong

Concentration / Strong

- Weaknesses

From squawka.com

His key passes have always been good.

It's the easy 5/10yd ball he struggles with.

However, he's always been like that, and bearing in mind he's coming back from two career threatening injuries, I'm willing to give him more time yet.

A fully fit and firing Fozzy is still a major plus at our level.

On a slightly different point, what defender doesn't defend side on, easiest way to get beat is to be square on to an attacker, especially at full back. 

25 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Player has no significant weaknesses vs avg. pass accuracy 68%

Someone is lying. :lol:

Nah, not so much. The two sets of metrics have a common ground precisely because they evaluate players on all facets of their play rather than focusing on just one. If you only see a player in terms of a perceived or real weakness, it's easy to overlook competencies in other areas of his game. We all do it. WhoScored player rating for Craig is 6.93 vs 6.91 for WIll Hughes. 

Let's look at his unseen stats too, while we're at it. Craig has been involved in 10 league games for Derby this season and the one's where we've lost I highlighted in bold.

Derby County 0 - 1 Ipswich Town

Middlesbrough 0 - 3 Derby County

Derby County 2 - 0 Queens Park Rangers

Fulham 1 - 1 Derby County

Derby County 2 - 4 Reading

Leeds United 1 - 2 Derby County

Norwich City 1 - 2 Derby County

Derby County 2 - 0 Sheffield Wednesday

Derby County 2 - 0  Nottingham Forest

Cardiff City 0 - 0 Derby County

It does rather seem that we win more games with him in the side than out. I could just as easily highlight his errors if it'd make folk feel more comfortable but for me the lad's well in credit and I'm pretty chuffed he's a Derby player.

Highly controversial I know :lol:

1 hour ago, 86 points said:

From whoscored.com...

+ Strengths

Aerial Duels / Strong

Crossing / Strong

Key passes / Strong

Concentration / Strong

- Weaknesses

From squawka.com

Wow, have you never sparred with Ninos before? If you had you'd surely know to not bother with unimportant stuff like 'statistics' or 'conclusive evidence', it's irrelevant.

1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

His key passes have always been good.

It's the easy 5/10yd ball he struggles with.

However, he's always been like that, and bearing in mind he's coming back from two career threatening injuries, I'm willing to give him more time yet.

A fully fit and firing Fozzy is still a major plus at our level.

On a slightly different point, what defender doesn't defend side on, easiest way to get beat is to be square on to an attacker, especially at full back. 

I wasn’t questioning the side on defending per se It’s the proper way to defend - but he often doesn’t funnel the player to one side or the other he tends to position himself statically and directly opposite like a deer in headlights and gets skinned easy either way with a tiny bit of pace. If he doesnt get beat he just kicks it out for corner. 

Anyway im praying the coaches can fix this cuz it’s a major stress inducer every time they come down his side. Contrast to Baird or Wisdom who are close to impossible to get by.

2 hours ago, 86 points said:

From whoscored.com...

+ Strengths

Aerial Duels / Strong

Crossing / Strong

Key passes / Strong

Concentration / Strong

- Weaknesses

From squawka.com

Interested to know how 68% passing accuracy compares to other full backs in the league. To me it sounds about average weighed against the fact that he's primarily there as a defender and imagine that he does pretty well with key passes due to his crossing strength.

1 hour ago, 86 points said:

Nah, not so much. The two sets of metrics have a common ground precisely because they evaluate players on all facets of their play rather than focusing on just one. If you only see a player in terms of a perceived or real weakness, it's easy to overlook competencies in other areas of his game. We all do it. WhoScored player rating for Craig is 6.93 vs 6.91 for WIll Hughes. 

Let's look at his unseen stats too, while we're at it. Craig has been involved in 10 league games for Derby this season and the one's where we've lost I highlighted in bold.

Derby County 0 - 1 Ipswich Town

Middlesbrough 0 - 3 Derby County

Derby County 2 - 0 Queens Park Rangers

Fulham 1 - 1 Derby County

Derby County 2 - 4 Reading

Leeds United 1 - 2 Derby County

Norwich City 1 - 2 Derby County

Derby County 2 - 0 Sheffield Wednesday

Derby County 2 - 0  Nottingham Forest

Cardiff City 0 - 0 Derby County

It does rather seem that we win more games with him in the side than out. I could just as easily highlight his errors if it'd make folk feel more comfortable but for me the lad's well in credit and I'm pretty chuffed he's a Derby player.

Highly controversial I know :lol:

To be honest I’ve lost all faith in WhoScored after it gave Keogh and Ledley our two lowest outfield ratings Tuesday.

7 hours ago, RodleyRam said:

Forsyth can be one of the best full backs in the league. On rare occasions he struggles in one off games against out and out pace but generally is solid. His crossing is usually a strength. Distribution from deeper can misfire but benefits from having a target man to play in to.

All in all he's a good left back at this level and goes quietly about his business. When he has an off day you tend to notice it because he's usually reliable.

Notice you're not lambasting Vydra for being wasteful in front of goal Ninos...

I like Fozzy. But one of his stregnths is crossing. I must have been watching a  completely different full back 

8 hours ago, 86 points said:

From whoscored.com...

+ Strengths

Aerial Duels / Strong

Crossing / Strong

Key passes / Strong

Concentration / Strong

- Weaknesses

From squawka.com

Can you compare it to a few other known left backs for context , these figures don't mean much without seeing what the average is 

Archived