Leeds United V Derby County

peachmyster

11 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Hardly trying to have a bitch at Martin, I think he’s an excellent player, my point was criticising the quite bizzare post claiming he should have taken it despite the fact we scored! Why would I go on a witch hunt about one of our best strikers this century?! If you want statistics he’s missed 5 of his last 10 penalty’s.

If you want to portray me as an out of control Martin basher then suit yourself, I only criticised an aspect of his game like I would any other player. A great all round player Martin is, he is still a s*** penalty taker. It’s that simple. Been plenty of good players in the past who are s*** penalty takers, Lionel Messi is the greatest ever and he ain’t that great at them. Just the way it is, so he shouldn’t be anywhere near them imo as it could have cost us 2 points last night

Where are you getting the 5 from 10 stat and if that's the case why suggest he's missed 10 in a row. Sounds like a blatant bitch to me especially if you already knew the stat you quoted. 

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Where are you getting the 5 from 10 stat and if that's the case why suggest he's missed 10 in a row. Sounds like a blatant bitch to me especially if you already knew the stat you quoted. 

Transfermarkt lists them all, I obviously didn’t know that stat before hand as I wasn’t really trying to make a massive point, I obviously just made an (exaggerated) point to criticise the bizzare post saying Martin should have taken the penalty, even tho we scored. Tbf I thought his record was worse than that, but it’s still not really good enough to be relied upon.

I have nothing to bitch about Martin for, he’s been a great player over the years and is still a fantastic option for us, his attitude while out the team and coming on as sub has appeared excellent as well. Doesn’t change the fact he can’t take a pen. But like I say an ability to take a penalty is not really a factor as to how good a player is- in fact I believe the better you are technically, sometimes the worse you become at pens because they require pure power, not intelligence.

7 minutes ago, cannable said:

His record is pretty terrible 

It's 60% over the course of his career and allegedly 50% over the last 10 taken - both figures, while hardly inspiring, are a long way from the 0% / 0 from 10 quoted in the post I was responding to. The suggestion that brought about the wild exaggeration in the first place was a hypothetical one suggesting had Martin taken the pen and scored it would have done his confidence good which a certain poster then decided was literal before pulling meaningless and misleading stats out of his a4se, just for for dramatic effect. Hence my response. 

6 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Transfermarkt lists them all, I obviously didn’t know that stat before hand as I wasn’t really trying to make a massive point, I obviously just made an (exaggerated) point to criticise the bizzare post saying Martin should have taken the penalty, even tho we scored. Tbf I thought his record was worse than that, but it’s still not really good enough to be relied upon.

I have nothing to bitch about Martin for, he’s been a great player over the years and is still a fantastic option for us, his attitude while out the team and coming on as sub has appeared excellent as well. Doesn’t change the fact he can’t take a pen. But like I say an ability to take a penalty is not really a factor as to how good a player is- in fact I believe the better you are technically, sometimes the worse you become at pens because they require pure power, not intelligence.

So it was just a melodramatic and ill-informed rant then? Glad we got to the bottom of that :thumbsup:

13 minutes ago, 86 points said:

So it was just a melodramatic and ill-informed rant then? Glad we got to the bottom of that :thumbsup:

It was a comment made immediately after seeing another comment, and was never intended toabsolutely factual. If you couldn’t see that my initial comment wasn’t a real statistic then I apologise but I thought it was fairly obvious my post wasn’t meant to be a piece of informative research! No need to take everything you see quite so seriously, maybe taking your own profiles/ the great heath ledgers advice might be useful?

Wasnt aware when I joined this forum that every post has to a thoroughly researched piece of statistical anyalsis, or indeed that making any minor criticism of  certain players (tho it wasn’t even intended to be that) gets you shouted down as being on a witch hunt. I’m not and never have been a Martin basher, as I’ve stated on several occasions- but if you want to take that as a rant against martin then fine.

7 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

It was a comment made immediately after seeing another comment, and was never intended toabsolutely factual. If you couldn’t see that my initial comment wasn’t a real statistic then I apologise but I thought it was fairly obvious my post wasn’t meant to be a piece of informative research! No need to take everything you see quite so seriously, maybe taking your own profiles/ the great heath ledgers advice might be useful?

Wasnt aware when I joined this forum that every post has to a thoroughly researched piece of statistical anyalsis, or indeed that making any minor criticism of  certain players (tho it wasn’t even intended to be that) gets you shouted down as being on a witch hunt. I’m not and never have been a Martin basher, as I’ve stated on several occasions- but if you want to take that as a rant against martin then fine.

Rest assured I didn't take your post remotely seriously, but thanks for the heads up all the same.

2 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Rest assured I didn't take your post remotely seriously, but thanks for the heads up all the same.

Don’t understand why you’d make such a fuss over it then but whatever. I’ll continue to post on here as I’m sure most posters won’t take such a personal exception to what was a nothing post that frankly I barely remember making.

Just now, Millenniumram said:

Don’t understand why you’d make such a fuss over it then but whatever. I’ll continue to post on here as I’m sure most posters won’t take such a personal exception to what was a nothing post that frankly I barely remember making.

Because it's a forum and I'm as entitled to respond to rubbish comments as you are to post them in the first place. That alright with you pal?

4 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Because it's a forum and I'm as entitled to respond to rubbish comments as you are to post them in the first place. That alright with you pal?

You’re entitled to say what you want, just as I’m entitled to say that saying I was having a rant at Martin is just incorrect. All I said was Martin wasn’t very good at penalties, which imo he isn’t and the statistics suggest so. That fact honestly doesn’t bother me as like I’ve said but you appear to have overlooked, penalty taking ability is not a measure of a players ability. Martin is a tremendous footballer, with a brilliant footballing mind and vision, but that doesn’t entitle him to take penalties when it’s not his strong point and other players are better. Don’t see your issue but like I said I don’t want such a minor point taking up the match thread of an excellent performance but all 11 of our men.

Just now, Millenniumram said:

Don’t see your issue but like I said I don’t want such a minor point taking up the match thread of an excellent performance but all 11 of our men.

Which was really the point I was making fella, though that clearly escaped you. Never mind, eh! Onwards and upwards.

6 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Can clearly see why the ref did not give them a penalty. The Leeds lad throws himself to the ground. Far too spectacular. If I recall, Leeds have form when it comes to simulation. Remember the incident with Johnny Russell a couple of seasons back? 

Anyway, good call from the ref. 

At first viewing I thought theirs was a penalty but having seen the replay think the ref got it right. The striker 'falls' to the floor in a completely unnatural way. Great upper body strength from Wisdom just to shepherd him out of the way.

Don't think ours was a penalty.

Don't remember the JR incident last season but I do remember Harry Kewell cheating us many years back.

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

At first viewing I thought theirs was a penalty but having seen the replay think the ref got it right. The striker 'falls' to the floor in a completely unnatural way. Great upper body strength from Wisdom just to shepherd him out of the way.

Don't think ours was a penalty.

Don't remember the JR incident last season but I do remember Harry Kewell cheating us many years back.

I was there last night and was certain he dived. Was expecting the referee to book him.

Archived