30,000 Flags a'flappin'

Ellafella

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, EssendonRam said:

I showed a soccer-loathing mate the scene at PPS before the match and he was absolutely awestruck by the scene.

Could not believe how good it looked and sounded.

I then, however, made the mistake of showing Ben (who is part Aboriginal) the photo at the start of this thread...he immediately said “it looks like the KKK”.

I had another look and I don’t know how I didn’t see it earlier....it DOES look like a meeting of the KKK!

I would suggest that both Ben and yourself are complete simpletons. If you have nothing of sense to add to a conversation, then don’t bother 

28 minutes ago, Doodle said:

I would suggest that both Ben and yourself are complete simpletons. If you have nothing of sense to add to a conversation, then don’t bother 

Tell that too the 3 bodies I saw hanging from a tree on the way back to the car. Strange fruit indeed.

The flags, which were brilliantly and rather ingeniously cut up bin liners for anyone who wasn't there, looked great, brilliant atmosphere at the start and who knows if that in any way had bearing on the first 30 seconds.

However, I have a conundrum that I have yet to solve in these flag situations. 

I really like to clap the team out, and I can't do that if I'm waving a flag. Well I can, as I showed today, but to the detriment of the left eye of the bloke behind me.

29 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

The flags, which were brilliantly and rather ingeniously cut up bin liners for anyone who wasn't there, looked great, brilliant atmosphere at the start and who knows if that in any way had bearing on the first 30 seconds.

However, I have a conundrum that I have yet to solve in these flag situations. 

I really like to clap the team out, and I can't do that if I'm waving a flag. Well I can, as I showed today, but to the detriment of the left eye of the bloke behind me.

I have the same problem with the applause conundrum, just held it up high and clapped above my head. Seemed to work. 

We were told that it was a fairly late decision to have flags and these were the best we could get at short notice.  They did feel quite tacky when we were putting them out BUT I actually thought they looked fantastic when they were flying out there as the chequerboard  solid colours worked better over the large area of the ground than the variegated flags did.

My nephew said the same thing about the KKK (he's a Forest fan though so what do you expect? :unsure:) We had to prop them up as we did on the seats so the stewards could do their security sweep pre-match. 

4 hours ago, Doodle said:

Cheer up, you miserable old coot.

Have a look at the photo at the start of this thread and you might actually see he had a point.

I thought his observation amusing.

You don’t have to agree but, if you’re so close-minded and, frankly, stupid as to judge others’ intellect by a humorous aside, you and your opinions don’t warrant much further attention, now do they.

12 hours ago, angieram said:

I have the same problem with the applause conundrum, just held it up high and clapped above my head. Seemed to work. 

We were told that it was a fairly late decision to have flags and these were the best we could get at short notice.  They did feel quite tacky when we were putting them out BUT I actually thought they looked fantastic when they were flying out there as the chequerboard  solid colours worked better over the large area of the ground than the variegated flags did.

My nephew said the same thing about the KKK (he's a Forest fan though so what do you expect? :unsure:) We had to prop them up as we did on the seats so the stewards could do their security sweep pre-match. 

It looked great at the time and just as good on the telly later; a good improvisation. 

Though the KKK observation was very sharp (other than of course for the black flags!)

3 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

It looked great at the time and just as good on the telly later; a good improvisation. 

Though the KKK observation was very sharp (other than of course for the black flags!)

Thank you for saying that (unless “very sharp” means something negative in England).

I perhaps overreacted at the fellow’s unkind opinion but Ben is a troubled young bloke I have been mentoring for the last few months.

I must admit that I was pleased that his reaction to the pre-game spectacle (he dislikes soccer, almost by habit, and finds my passion for an English club odd to say the least) was so enthusiastic. He was genuinely surprised that Derby were such a big club that they put on such a pre-game Show.

When I subsequently showed him how the club had set them out for the fans, again I was pleased that he was impressed. I thought his comment was actually very observant (I hadn’t thought of it until he said it; he was obviously referring only to the white flags) and was said wholly in good humour; for a part-Aboriginal kid with his background, I was genuinely happy that he didn’t feel even remotely self-conscious about seeing any resemblance.

To then have a complete stranger react in that way - daring to put him down like that; attack me all you like - on such a flimsy premise, angered me (obviously).

If anyone thought there was a darker suggestion behind it, there was not one.

As I thought I had made clear, the spectacle was remarkable on television. Congratulations to all involved (old coot excepted ?).

30 minutes ago, Wignall12 said:

Have to say the effect on T.V. was awesome, nice one Mel 

I assumed that would be the case - Commented as such to my old man

Up close they looked like bin bags attached to straws - And seeing how some people were waving them (like they've never seen a flag before and have no concept of basic physics) it looked a bit budget from up close

But the effect in photos was pretty good and I would imagine it looked great on TV - It's a good way to showcase how great the ground looks and how full it is when you do things like that

35 minutes ago, EssendonRam said:

Thank you for saying that (unless “very sharp” means something negative in England).

I perhaps overreacted at the fellow’s unkind opinion but Ben is a troubled young bloke I have been mentoring for the last few months.

I must admit that I was pleased that his reaction to the pre-game spectacle (he dislikes soccer, almost by habit, and finds my passion for an English club odd to say the least) was so enthusiastic. He was genuinely surprised that Derby were such a big club that they put on such a pre-game Show.

When I subsequently showed him how the club had set them out for the fans, again I was pleased that he was impressed. I thought his comment was actually very observant (I hadn’t thought of it until he said it; he was obviously referring only to the white flags) and was said wholly in good humour; for a part-Aboriginal kid with his background, I was genuinely happy that he didn’t feel even remotely self-conscious about seeing any resemblance.

To then have a complete stranger react in that way - daring to put him down like that; attack me all you like - on such a flimsy premise, angered me (obviously).

If anyone thought there was a darker suggestion behind it, there was not one.

As I thought I had made clear, the spectacle was remarkable on television. Congratulations to all involved (old coot excepted ?).

Don't worry, everyone puts everyone down on here. Though a few might actually need putting down.

And yes, by sharp I meant on the ball and witty. 

Archived