The hungriest player?!

RoyMac5

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From DET. Rowett on Winnall: He plays the game in a hungry way and is desperate to do well. He made a difference when he came on. (against Birmingham). He is certainly in the reckoning to start a game this week.

Only in the reckoning, how hungry do you have to be?!

I think there are a few players that are desperate to do well and work hard, the problem is that sometimes the hungriest players aren't technically the best.

For example, Russell is what I would call a 'hungry' player but he is massively inferior to the likes of Huddlestone (who plays the game at his own glacial pace at times) in a technical capacity. 

Another example is Martin, he never looked like he was desperate to win the ball back or make gut busting runs for the team in the same way Nugent does, but he scored 60 odd goals in three seasons in his glory days all the same.

Hunger doesn't guarantee quality, but it helps. If Winnall is as good as we think he might be and as hungry as he looks then he could be a gem for us this season.

Blimey. Just made it to the end of Saturday's programme and reading the back page is making me feel peckish.

The article is titled 'Ledley 'Hungry' To Get Stuck Into Rams Challenge'. 'I've got that hunger back and I have always been a hungry player'. Ledley then calls Rowett hungry and this is why he wanted to come to Derby.

I think this is all subliminal advertising for The Yard restaurant. £17.95 for adult and child Sunday roast. Rowett could take his young son Ledley along. Hopefully it's an all you can eat buffet.

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

From DET. Rowett on Winnall: He plays the game in a hungry way and is desperate to do well. He made a difference when he came on. (against Birmingham). He is certainly in the reckoning to start a game this week.

Only in the reckoning, how hungry do you have to be?!

In Championship terms I think somewhere between £10k to £20k per week wages you move from being hungry to feeling reasonably full and content. It seems if you are on £20k plus you are gorged and in need of putting your feet up.

8 hours ago, i-Ram said:

In Championship terms I think somewhere between £10k to £20k per week wages you move from being hungry to feeling reasonably full and content. It seems if you are on £20k plus you are gorged and in need of putting your feet up.

Was you referring to Bent 5years on the bench at his last two clubs never looks hungry to me But with friends like Rush why should he be 

22 hours ago, i-Ram said:

No wonder Benty always looked like he couldn't be bothered. He's probably had the equivalent of a sunday roast up grandma's house with a double portion of crumble and custard for after

23 hours ago, i-Ram said:

The replies to this are great 

Against Brum,

it was noticeable to me how Hungry (if that is even the word) Wynall was.

I'd even throw Lawrence into the same category.

Both want to get stuck in, and make things happen in their own way, and its about a young player wanting to prove himself.

In 2014 we had too many young players if anything, now it seems aside from these two, we went for yet more experience in Hudds Davies, and Martin coming back, and really what we need is youth to get stuck in and make things happen.

On 9/25/2017 at 09:39, RoyMac5 said:

Not necessarily the fattest! :p

GR "'He plays the game in a hungry way..."

Keogh - Easiest answer ever - Has been the most passionate and driven player we've had over the course of a few years now

I think it's a difficult one to quantify though as players styles differ - I actually think Martin is one of the most passionate guys in the squad about playing football - He's always angry about not getting the ball, always wants to get the pass, constantly moaning that he's not getting the ball enough - I know (some) people question his work ethic and quality but I don't think you can question his desire 

Archived