Derby County v Hull City

Leicester Ram

Wow, what a game! THATS how you play a football match! So much desire, energy and fight from everyone on the field! Movement by the front four was very fluid, some clinical finishing too. Special mentions for the much maligned vydra who's finally able to prove his quality in his true position, key player for us this season as well as Lawrence who looks like something very special. That corner couldn't have been taken better, some of his touches were sublime.

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

It wasn't a top two performance. 

What is a top two performance? There's no criteria to base it upon. The quality of top two sides fluctuates a great deal year upon year. However, if you win 5-0 against any team in professional football then you've done something right. Sometimes people can over-analyse things. Hull offered very little tonight, but we still had to put them to the sword.

We could've won 2-0 with the same performance and I'd have been just as important. We beat a good side and made it look effortless. Hull had a good share of the ball but even with a threadbare midfield that so many were tearing their hair out over during the past few days, they couldn't dominate the game. The penalty was a big turning point, that goes in and who knows what happens. But it didn't. We can't try to play down a game based on hypothetical scenarios that may or may not have occurred if x happened instead of y.

2 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I understand your point re the missed penalty being a huge changing point, but what else in the game suggested they were unlucky and we were lucky? They had the ball a lot, well done to them but they did next to nothing with it. Very rarely got behind our back four, one missed diving free-header from a diagonal cross is all I can think of. Everything else was long shots that went off target - Carson didn't make a single diving save. We created better chances and finished them off very well. We attacked with our heads up and running at pace on the break. We nullified any attempts Hull made to get forward, and then used the space created from doing this to exploit a very average Hull defence. All of our front four looked dangerous, we looked like we would score every time we went forward.

We were hardly outplayed in the middle, we were very comfortable and did the basics very well, then did the hard part - sticking it in the net - even better.

Let's not worry too much about how fairly the scoreline reflected the game, or if it was a performance worthy of a top two team - whatever that is? Let's celebrate the fact it was essentially a perfect performance. A clean sheet, plenty of goals and every single player gave a very good account of themselves. We can pick faults in the side collectively over the course of the season so far, but as for tonight, any weaknesses that can be identified are so minor, they're not worth talking about.

May be I'm a perfectionist but I thought the game was very open and had Hull put their chances away we wouldn't have won. Let alone 5 - 0. Believe me I am over the moon with result but I saw a lot of cracks that suggests to me we will not be consistent unless we can tighten up in midfield. 

40 minutes ago, Gritters said:

Didn't go tonight due to health reasons.

30 minutes ago, MrsRam said:

Hope you're better soon matey. xx

Hello hello....whats all this then?

4 minutes ago, Gritters said:

May be I'm a perfectionist but I thought the game was very open and had Hull put their chances away we wouldn't have won. Let alone 5 - 0. Believe me I am over the moon with result but I saw a lot of cracks that suggests to me we will not be consistent unless we can tighten up in midfield. 

Sorry but they didn't have 5 chances the whole game so no, it couldn't have been much different really

Just now, Gritters said:

What chances are we actually talking about here? This is the Championship. It's rare if you have a game where your opposition don't manage to muster at least a couple of chances. The penalty aside, I'd say Hull had nothing more than a half-chance. They were limited to long shots. There were no clear-cut chances that would have had Hull fans off their seats in anticipation of the net rippling. We can't expect to be finishing games with the opposition having 2 or 3 shots during the entire game.

It was one of the easiest games Carson will ever have. The parry over the from a header straight at him was the most he was tested for 90 minutes. Hull have some very good attacking players but could still be playing now and I couldn't see them scoring. That's a good night in my opinion.

Just now, RiddingsRam said:

Do you actually ? Or do you just appreciate other teams ? 

Nope obviously not, it was me taking the piss and trying to create a lighthearted situation of the shenanigans of Kieftenbeld but one person thought I was being serious then lots of others did but luckily a few saw the funny side. Surely the comment under my name gives it away? "Proud lover of Derby county, Nottingham Forest and Ainsley Harriott", I don't know how much more obvious I need to make that

2 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Sorry but they didn't have 5 chances the whole game so no, it couldn't have been much different really

OK but if they had equalised with the penalty and gained a bit of confidence you don't know what may have happened.  What I am saying is a big result came from small margins. 

21 minutes ago, Kernow said:

What is a top two performance? There's no criteria to base it upon. The quality of top two sides fluctuates a great deal year upon year. However, if you win 5-0 against any team in professional football then you've done something right. Sometimes people can over-analyse things. Hull offered very little tonight, but we still had to put them to the sword.

We could've won 2-0 with the same performance and I'd have been just as important. We beat a good side and made it look effortless. Hull had a good share of the ball but even with a threadbare midfield that so many were tearing their hair out over during the past few days, they couldn't dominate the game. The penalty was a big turning point, that goes in and who knows what happens. But it didn't. We can't try to play down a game based on hypothetical scenarios that may or may not have occurred if x happened instead of y.

I was replying to your top two performance quote, I thought you were alluding that it was.

All ifs and buts. But... Vydra and Johnson's goals go flying over the bar, and Hull routinely clear the two corners we scored from.

We win 1-0. Do people still say it was an excellent performance, one of the best since the Brighton playoff game?

In my opinion it wasn't anywhere near a perfect performance. I think judgement and opinion is heavily swayed by the scoreline, rather than the actual performance.

I thought it was a solid battling performance where we ultimately got the rub of the green.

On reflection, on another day we could have lost that game. We weren't exactly dominant and superior. Likewise, on another day Sheff Utd don't get the rub of the green via own goals and GK gaffs and we come away with something from Bramall Lane.

Under Rowett I see it as fine margins. Under Mac 1 I was confident that in most games we would have greater control and create more chances on average than the opposition.

I certainly don't envisage us doing that nowadays, but with the right commitment and ultimately a bit of luck like tonight we may not need to really control games to get out of this league.

5 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Nope obviously not, it was me taking the piss and trying to create a lighthearted situation of the shenanigans of Kieftenbeld but one person thought I was being serious then lots of others did but luckily a few saw the funny side. Surely the comment under my name gives it away? "Proud lover of Derby county, Nottingham Forest and Ainsley Harriott", I don't know how much more obvious I need to make that

Ok , must of missed that one ?. Nothing wrong with Ainsley Harriot .

2 minutes ago, Gritters said:

OK but if they had equalised with the penalty and gained a bit of confidence you don't know what may have happened.  What I am saying is a big result came from small margins. 

Just enjoy it, we could have stuffed the blades if the ball bonced in our favour, it's in the game:unsure:

To be fair to you Gritters, I thought Hull let us off with the penalty - biggest miss and set us up. After that there was a diving header early in the second half after we failed to clear a corner, a half volley that went over the bar and then the header that Carson tipped over. I don't remember many other good chances for Hull. So yes 4 good chances but 3 were in the second half when the game was over as a contest. 

In the interests of being fair and applying your own logic let's not forget Vydra had one saved,  as did Chris Martin towards the end.

10 minutes ago, Kernow said:

What chances are we actually talking about here? This is the Championship. It's rare if you have a game where your opposition don't manage to muster at least a couple of chances. The penalty aside, I'd say Hull had nothing more than a half-chance. They were limited to long shots. There were no clear-cut chances that would have had Hull fans off their seats in anticipation of the net rippling. We can't expect to be finishing games with the opposition having 2 or 3 shots during the entire game.

It was one of the easiest games Carson will ever have. The parry over the from a header straight at him was the most he was tested for 90 minutes. Hull have some very good attacking players but could still be playing now and I couldn't see them scoring. That's a good night in my opinion.

The penalty was probably the turning point and that we scored soon after it. Games go on the teams confidence and that turning point knocked the stuffing out of them. 

Why did we lose to Sheffield Utd who are a worse team than Hull? Did we give them the breaks? What if we hadn't? 

All I can say is I will get excited if we become consistent like under Mac 1. 

5 minutes ago, McLovin said:

You get in promising positions, yet deliver little.

If only I could think of a Derby player to compare you to, but I'm stumped!

7 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

Ok , must of missed that one ?. Nothing wrong with Ainsley Harriot .

It actually made my night seeing how worked up people are getting :lol:. I could imagine the steam coming out of their heads while typing it and how I'm apparently everything that's wrong with modern football

Archived