Derby County v Hull City

Leicester Ram

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great game. I can't get too analytical about possession, Hull's missed chances, the peno let off. We have been on the receiving end of the checks and balances many times ourselves.

i'd much rather concentrate on our over all play. We were quick, hungry and fluid. We played short and long balls and there was plenty of player interchange and one two's. It was good football. I don't think we used width as much as we could have but that will come.

Johnson and Huddlestone are winning balls and then win is going to a Derby player. Second ball percentages must be way up. Hudlestones control, ball winning and passing accuracy is a huge advantage. Johnson played like a proper old fashion general. Urging players forward and fighting for balls. Weiman great energy and a more subtle touch than JR. Lawrence - more to come and for the first time for ages we have low airborn crosses at pace in to dangerous areas. Davis .. A goal and at least two brilliantly timed tackles. Excellent job. Keogh a rock with teeth. I just loved the Vydra Nugent pairing. I've always known this would work. Nuge was brilliant .. He was looking for Vydra all the time and Vydra was wallowing in the attention. Nuge could have blasted a shot and maybe scored himself but had the composure to hang on and pull it back for Vydra to slot in. Almost as good was when he broke on the right, held the ball, waiting for the 4.43 flying blondie to arrive at platform 1 .. But for a good save Vydra would have bagged a hat trick. Carson. Tip top wide awake and some great saves. Oh yes and Mr reliable Chris Baird. Up against tricky wingers but had the football brain and composure to snuff em out. Ollson .. Usual threat going forward but more to the point Improving greatly on the defensive front, getting tighter to his man and looked good. 

Yes Hull could have scored .. But when the got through, Carson, the post or lousy shooting was their downfall, but that takes nothing away from one of the best evenings out for quite a while. We played football the right way with skill and commitment. 

Happy days 

1 hour ago, Gritters said:

Job done but there are still holes mistakes and gaps to plug. Don't get carried away Hull just couldn’t score. Another day it would have been 5 - 5 the amount of space we gave them.

Carson must be knackered with the amount of saves he had to make.

4 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Carson must be knackered with the amount of saves he had to make.

All I am saying is if they finished with a bit of quality like we did it could have been a different story. Their missed penalty started off their bad luck and started our good luck. I'm not getting carried away on one 5 - 0 win. If we consistently win game I will start getting excited. 

1 minute ago, Gritters said:

All I am saying is if they finished with a bit of quality like we did it could have been a different story. There missed penalty started off their bad luck and started ours. I'm not getting carried away on one 5 - 0 win. If we consistently win game I will start getting excited. 

Cheer up mate or it might never happen!

3 minutes ago, jono said:

Great game. I can't get too analytical about possession, Hull's missed chances, the peno let off. We have been on the receiving end of the checks and balances many times ourselves.

i'd much rather concentrate on our over all play. We were quick, hungry and fluid. We played short and long balls and there was plenty of player interchange and one two's. It was good football. I don't think we used width as much as we could have but that will come.

Johnson and Huddlestone are winning balls and then win is going to a Derby player. Second ball percentages must be way up. Hudlestones control, ball winning and passing accuracy is a huge advantage. Johnson played like a proper old fashion general. Urging players forward and fighting for balls. Weiman great energy and a more subtle touch than JR. Lawrence - more to come and for the first time for ages we have low airborn crosses at pace in to dangerous areas. Davis .. A goal and at least two brilliantly timed tackles. Excellent job. Keogh a rock with teeth. I just loved the Vydra Nugent pairing. I've always known this would work. Nuge was brilliant .. He was looking for Vydra all the time and Vydra was wallowing in the attention. Nuge could have blasted a shot and maybe scored himself but had the composure to hang on and pull it back for Vydra to slot in. Almost as good was when he broke on the right, held the ball, waiting for the 4.43 flying blondie to arrive at platform 1 .. But for a good save Vydra would have bagged a hat trick. Carson. Tip top wide awake and some great saves. Oh yes and Mr reliable Chris Baird. Up against tricky wingers but had the football brain and composure to snuff em out. Ollson .. Usual threat going forward but more to the point Improving greatly on the defensive front, getting tighter to his man and looked good. 

Yes Hull could have scored .. But when the got through, Carson, the post or lousy shooting was their downfall, but that takes nothing away from one of the best evenings out for quite a while. We played football the right way with skill and commitment. 

Happy days 

Excellent post Jono. I'd only add that there was something terrifying about Winnall when he came on. He's an utter menace. I noticed that there were 3 or 4 balls pumped forward and he beat defenders for all of them, laying off 2 nice headers to Martin, and winning a throw in on another. I can see why Rowett likes him, and see him possibly battling Nugent for that striker spot although he was good in the secondary striker role too. 

MrRam said at kick off - I forgot to set it for record - maybe it's a good thing, we haven't watched one back for a good while.

Are there any highlights, whilst I'm waiting for midnight :whistle:

14 minutes ago, Kernow said:

The opening line on the Sky Sports match report sums up the game...

"Brilliant Derby County hammered Hull City 5-0 with a ruthless performance in the Sky Bet Championship on Friday night."

Yet we still have some complaining that it wasn't a "top two" performance. It's literally impossible to please everybody isn't it?

It wasn't a top two performance. 

The result was great, the commitment was great, our mentality was great.

But let's not pretend we've just torn Hull to shreds and created numerous chances.

In fact, Hull had the better of the chances tonight. They squandered some glorious ones.

It was a weird game. We scored from a free-kick, two corners and long shot after a woeful defensive clearance.

We've been on the end of such results in the past. I remember a 6-1 vs Cardiff I think where we were nowhere near as bad as the scoreline suggested.

This is the sort of result where after a disappointing defeat one will ask 'how can we batter Hull one week then get comfortably beat by X team the next'

Reason being is our performance wasn't anything special. Everything just fell for us tonight whereas on another day it could quite easily have a 1-3 reverse.

My younger lad was with his football team tonight, the team in blue, he walked out with Carson and then into the handshakes,  got him recorded walking out on camera! He loved it. 

22 minutes ago, Ninos said:

That's exactly what i saw AR. I noticed that after we lost a ball every player it seemed hustled back and won back the ball - remember Olssons, Weimann Vydra Davies Baird all of them playing with so much passion - t's really nice to see 10 players killing themselves for 92 minutes. Hull played like us under Mcclaren and got smashed. But as you say we need to see it every game. And Vydra goal number 2 was just a beautiful interchange of passes with a lethal ending! Lovely evening out! 

Surely not, we're a hoofball team now don't you know?! That's what Gary wants....:ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

But let's not pretend we've just torn Hull to shreds and created numerous chances.

In fact, Hull had the better of the chances tonight. They squandered some glorious ones.

It was a weird game. We scored from a free-kick, two corners and long shot after a woeful defensive clearance.

We've been on the end of such results in the past. I remember a 6-1 vs Cardiff I think where we were nowhere near as bad as the scoreline suggested.

This is the sort of result where after a disappointing defeat one will ask 'how can we batter Hull one week then get comfortably beat by X team the next'

Reason being is our performance wasn't anything special. Everything just fell for us tonight whereas on another day it could quite easily have a 1-3 reverse.

I'm glad you see it the same as me. If we are going to get out of this league we need to be consistent week in week out.

8 minutes ago, Gritters said:

All I am saying is if they finished with a bit of quality like we did it could have been a different story. Their missed penalty started off their bad luck and started our good luck. I'm not getting carried away on one 5 - 0 win. If we consistently win game I will start getting excited. 

I understand your point re the missed penalty being a huge changing point, but what else in the game suggested they were unlucky and we were lucky? They had the ball a lot, well done to them but they did next to nothing with it. Very rarely got behind our back four, one missed diving free-header from a diagonal cross is all I can think of. Everything else was long shots that went off target - Carson didn't make a single diving save. We created better chances and finished them off very well. We attacked with our heads up and running at pace on the break. We nullified any attempts Hull made to get forward, and then used the space created from doing this to exploit a very average Hull defence. All of our front four looked dangerous, we looked like we would score every time we went forward.

We were hardly outplayed in the middle, we were very comfortable and did the basics very well, then did the hard part - sticking it in the net - even better.

Let's not worry too much about how fairly the scoreline reflected the game, or if it was a performance worthy of a top two team - whatever that is? Let's celebrate the fact it was essentially a perfect performance. A clean sheet, plenty of goals and every single player gave a very good account of themselves. We can pick faults in the side collectively over the course of the season so far, but as for tonight, any weaknesses that can be identified are so minor, they're not worth talking about.

4 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I love the fact that you've missed out the goal where we did in fact rip them to shreds. ?? 

Archived