Chris Martin

Richard246

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

Just give up. He blows and you know it. It's one thing shanking a ball into the bleachers it's another to waddle around the top third like a wounded duck. Yes Nugent has Blackmanitis as well but at least he worries defences, puts himself about, and encourages the Johnny Russell's of the world by running back and high fiving his close long range effort.

Move on like everyone else has

?????

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we think Martin is still the main man why don't we play him behind Nugent and Lawrence and vydra either side of him.

Martin would be better in this position as the holding midfielder would have to mark him and he would then win his fair share of headers just might work worth a try?

Where to start...

Martin as the 1 in a 4-2-3-1 surely has to suit him? Even toddy and ninos agree Martin is ineffectual without support (show me a striker who isnt) Therefore surely having a whole 3 players in more advanced positions buzzing around him would suit him, no? I also dont think anyone is trying to suggest that we go back to Mac1, football has moved on. However, looking at it objectively, Martin has all the attributes to perform well in this league with a vibrant, dynamic attacking 3 around him.

Quite why we haven't tried it I don't know. It feels a bit like when Nigel Clough persevered with the diamond for ever when it was clear 4-3-3 would be a better fit.

As much as I like Nugent, his energy and attitude, Martin is superior and would well suit 4-2-3-1.

Horses for courses this season. My issue with Martin is not so much Martin but the reverence some on here have for him. The massiah has returned, all will be okay now, lets just pretend it's 2013 again and we will be flying. 

Martin is what he is, pretty much a one trick pony in a certain system, Yes when it was good, it was very good on occasions but it all had to revolve around Martin, Maybe that pony has a part to play in certain games this season, why not. Like others have said, he is a good option to have as long as Rowett is not stuck in a Martin must play bubble. It appears he is not, so that is a positive for me.

The Wardrobe thread is probably one of the saddest I have ever read on this forum.. Back to the future stuff and then some. Real head shake stuff. 

I don't know if we will sell him, I am not ITK... Should we 'cash' in? Maybe but to be replaced with what,  now he is hopefully a squad player and not a must play. For me I would keep him around this season and see what happens. Will Martin be happy not starting regardless of form? That's for him and Rowett to decide.

18 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Horses for courses this season. My issue with Martin is not so much Martin but the reverence some on here have for him. The messiah has returned, all will be okay now, lets just pretend it's 2013 again and we will be flying. 

No-one has really said this. Most have acknowledged what a good striker Martin is at this level - check out his stats ffs! Where the suggestion of the messianic nature of Martin comes from, well look at the crap that gets thrown at him and see the support he gets in return. It gets silly with fans trying to out do themselves in praise or negative criticism. Also see Keogh and Russell as more examples.

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

No-one has really said this. Most have acknowledged what a good striker Martin is at this level - check out his stats ffs! Where the suggestion of the messianic nature of Martin comes from, well look at the crap that gets thrown at him and see the support he gets in return. It gets silly with fans trying to out do themselves in praise or negative criticism. Also see Keogh and Russell as more examples.

Oh come on.  Really   

Martin should thrive in the 4231. He looked good playing in that position in pre season, only Rowett will know why we moved away from it. 

I'd suggest that we can more than cope without Martin if goal come from  other areas: Vydra, Nugent and Lawrence will probably score 10+ if they play, I'm not sure if Russell and Weimann will match that. 

How many goals would we be better off with Gallagher rather than Martin, or vice versa? 4-5? Not a lot really so it's all about how we set up and play.  

Maybe it is time to cash in and move on...?

5 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Oh come on.  Really   

See. Really. It's a case of out doing the other to prove a point. If you can't see that... (Note the last comment raises the stakes in the argument and you have to come back with something better to prove 'your' point. And round we go.)

47 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

See. Really. It's a case of out doing the other to prove a point. If you can't see that... (Note the last comment raises the stakes in the argument and you have to come back with something better to prove 'your' point. And round we go.)

I don't have to do anything... You read the bloody Wardrode thread. 

9 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

I don't have to do anything... You read the bloody Wardrode thread. 

You read the thread. Its full of posters saying Martin is crap and finished and past it, or not coming back or signing for Fulham or Wolves. Plus other stuff on wanting him back last season when he would have made a difference given the squad we had.

Is it any surprise that views get polarised? Can you not see that or are you 'Martin-blind' too? Check out the Keogh and Russell threads if you still don't get it.

1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

Oh come on.  Really   

I'd dare say most of the 'messiah' stuff has been tongue in cheek, I know most of it has done from my side is anyway. Martin is a very intelligent footballer, probably the most intelligent, and it's a shame when some think he can be shown the door based on what little of the season has gone. 

Most would consider its horses for courses, it just gets argued from different sides but most people are just arguing the same point. Nugent would be wasted as a bench player too so what other way is there round it?

"He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy"

Best striker we've got and will prove so over the season. He requires service to succeed. It is not his fault when it does not appear. 

He was fine at Sunderland, minus missing one absolute sitter. He did what he could with the nothing balls he was given. Hopefully Lawrence is smart and talented enough to work with him, he hasn't had that so far. 

47 minutes ago, Alex W said:

Best striker we've got and will prove so over the season. He requires service to succeed. It is not his fault when it does not appear. 

He was fine at Sunderland, minus missing one absolute sitter. He did what he could with the nothing balls he was given. Hopefully Lawrence is smart and talented enough to work with him, he hasn't had that so far. 

Agreed. Put the ball at his feet and get players close to him and we will score. I'm really hoping we get to see what he can do playing with Vydra soon. 

54 minutes ago, Alex W said:

This

4 minutes ago, t'oldu said:

Here we go again talking of  setting up a side to service one particular player......................  Not really GR's way..    

Are playing to a player's strength that could well be to the overall benefit and providing service to a striker such novel ideas?

Archived