great link up vydra/nugent

kyle mccabe

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Vydra played well. But I thought it was him linking with the wingers that produced the better stuff. Didn't think Nugent had a particularly good game. He was alright.

The key here was that Vydra took up positions between the defence and midfield opponents. A position no midfielder has taken up since 2015. All our best play came through finding him there and him turning. Didn't think Nugent had much to do but chase and battle.

This is the same system that showed promise when Rowett first tried it. Then he dropped Vydra and the system. 

Let's just hope he tries to develop this system. We can't afford to give the ball away as cheaply as we did tonight. We need to pick our attacks better. Too much kick and chase for long periods.

Vydra and Nugent are intelligent, instinctive players who make good decisions. They both need a couple of goals to their name because at the moment we are snatching at chances.

Preston are no Wolves and in the same way Saturday didn't make us a bad side, tonight doesn't make us a good one.

We are simply a team in transition.

3 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

First 10 minutes or so of the 2nd half was great,Vydra/Nugent looked a real handful,I wonder what Vydra/Martin would look like?

I just don't know.

Vydra/Martin would be decent partnership. 

They looked lively

didnt quite come off for nugent tonight and he should have buried that cut back but i thought he worked his socks off and was the platform for the performance

dont get me wrong im wasnt bouncing out of my seat but i feel in a rowett system nugent is a much much better fit than martin.

i like martin... a lot, and when he has players up and around him and he's on song hes as good as anything in this league, but rowett as he said in his interview wanted to stop preston hitting their long balls, ie we had to close down from the front, and we all know that int martins game.

I thought Vydra did well when working as a second striker but not so much when he had to fulfil the advanced midfielder part of his role.

He linked up well with Nugent and the wingers but he gave the ball away 3 times in the first half in midfield which against Wolves would probably resulted in us conceding a goal. Whether he can improve that side of his game remains to be seen.

Vydra/nugent/Martin are all very good very experienced forwards who are intelligent in what they do and can all play with each other in a very positive way especially if the midfield can get the ball to them in the correct way. No defensive will want a combination of those three coming at them.

I thought he started the game well but that tailed off after about 20 minutes, he made that ridiculous mistake when going backwards and nearly gave them a goal. After that, he disappeared from the game and I don't remember him doing anything of significance except for the shot in the second half.

Vydra and Russell will be fighting each other for first team chances this season, as long as Weimann keeps up his good form.

10 minutes ago, blackNwhites said:

I thought he started the game well but that tailed off after about 20 minutes, he made that ridiculous mistake when going backwards and nearly gave them a goal. After that, he disappeared from the game and I don't remember him doing anything of significance except for the shot in the second half.

Vydra and Russell will be fighting each other for first team chances this season, as long as Weimann keeps up his good form.

Weimann's good form? Let's not get carried away, that was his second good game in 3 seasons!

1 minute ago, blackNwhites said:

I'm not getting carried away, but he's started the season well and long may it continue. He looked a completely different player last night.

He's not started the season well though, he was awful and anonymous in the first two games.

Last night showed what he is capable of and it is now down to GR to get him putting them performances on a regular basis.

9 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

First 10 minutes or so of the 2nd half was great,Vydra/Nugent looked a real handful,I wonder what Vydra/Martin would look like?

I just don't know.

I think the Vydra/Martin partnership could work , Martin would just have to adapt his game slightly and not be greedy with the space. 

I think there is room for all 3 nugent martin & vydra. 

We have a squad loaded with centre halves and not overly creative central midfielders. So I think the the wing back system with 2 strikers and vydra behind would suit us. Huddlestone and another in the midfield (Thorne if ever back to normal would be a dream team) 

Those 3 up front would be a handful for any in this division  

I like Nugent very much but he missed two sitters again which Martin would have been hung,drawn and quartered for...

Would prefer to see Martin with vydra where the link up play would be even better...plus Martin's increased lethality over Nugent would have had us three up yesterday.

Great we have all three,but they need to be intelligently deployed.

Archived