Why only 27,000 today

kyle mccabe

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I was surprised when it was only 27k, looked more to me.

It was only 1.5k by the time the final whistle went. We're used to people leaving early, but I'm not sure I've ever seen it that empty when a game is still going on.

This all feels like it's the last few games of the season and we're midtable and dissatisfied, not the first home game of the season when everyone should be buzzing. The atmosphere yesterday was non-existent, Derby were comprehensively outplayed and the players looked shell-shocked towards the end.

@Alpha's point was right. Football is expensive and there are loads of other lifestyle choice things to do on a Saturday afternoon. In the second half I actually thought "What a waste of time, I could have had the grass cut instead". That's how bad it was. Not the result, the performance. Boring, boring, boring. Couldn't even work out what the players were meant to be doing when we had the ball. And that will not inspire any new or more walk ups for Tuesday.

Le'ts hope the bids we have in bear fruit and we can start to improve. A winning or entertaining side is the only thing that will bring the crowds back.

Sith Happens
6 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

It was only 1.5k by the time the final whistle went. We're used to people leaving early, but I'm not sure I've ever seen it that empty when a game is still going on.

This all feels like it's the last few games of the season and we're midtable and dissatisfied, not the first home game of the season when everyone should be buzzing. The atmosphere yesterday was non-existent, Derby were comprehensively outplayed and the players looked shell-shocked towards the end.

@Alpha's point was right. Football is expensive and there are loads of other lifestyle choice things to do on a Saturday afternoon. In the second half I actually thought "What a waste of time, I could have had the grass cut instead". That's how bad it was. Not the result, the performance. Boring, boring, boring. Couldn't even work out what the players were meant to be doing when we had the ball. And that will not inspire any new or more walk ups for Tuesday.

Le'ts hope the bids we have in bear fruit and we can start to improve. A winning or entertaining side is the only thing that will bring the crowds back.

There was a lot streaming out, and it was obvious we were never going to score.

Think the fans had given up and the players.

It really felt like a long game i thought, if we are up against it im usually looking at the clock and it seems to go so quick as we try and get back into the game but yesterday it seemed to go so slow.

I will never think its a waste of time, football is more than just watching my team win, its time i spend with my dad. Obviously i prefer to see us win or at least play well though.

Tickets are too expensive for non season ticket holders. My friend was going to come to the game with me (I'm a season ticket holder) he's on a minimum wage job and usually has to work weekends. To buy a match day ticket it was £29 online. 

3 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

There was a lot streaming out, and it was obvious we were never going to score.

Think the fans had given up and the players.

It really felt like a long game i thought, if we are up against it im usually looking at the clock and it seems to go so quick as we try and get back into the game but yesterday it seemed to go so slow.

I will never think its a waste of time, football is more than just watching my team win, its time i spend with my dad. Obviously i prefer to see us win or at least play well though.

That's what it is for me now. A few beers with a mate I don't see enough of. If he hadn't renewed, neither would i. 

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

That's what it is for me now. A few beers with a mate I don't see enough of. If he hadn't renewed, neither would i. 

I'll keep going while my dad can, hes 79 this time but going strong.

Last seasons first game at home v Brighton was 28,749 with 1,345 Brighton fans.

Yesterday 27,757 with 3124 Wolves fans.

So that's 2771 Derby fans down on last season (me and the missus are 2 but that's not down to the football), not a huge amount, the question is that a fair comparison as last season our first game was at home where this was our second game.

Attendances obviously go up and down given the teams form, had we beaten Sunderland with ease and looked a decent team, you may have seen more there yesterday.

Tuesday I would imagine will be fairly low given the start of the season.

Took a decent amount up to Sunderland though, over a thousand to Grimsby, thousand plus are off to Bolton, Sheff Utd sold out.

Can't see the club going into panic mode just yet.

I used to go every week home and away, then I started reducing the away games, then I got rid of the season ticket, then I reduced the home games. In 2010/11 I went to 46 matches in all competitions. I saw us win I think only 3 times on the road. Last year I went to 6 matches. This year I'll be surprised if I manage more than half that.

Why? Simply lost connection with the club. When it stops becoming a habit, it's very easy to not go once the standard on the pitch falls. It's not so much outright cost as value for money. £30 to watch us sweep almost any team aside is expensive but there's at least some reward for it, and you know it will only last a short amount of time, but paying £30 to watch us labour is just not good value and it makes it harder to break the cycle of not attending.

The season ticket seats next to us haven't sold this season. There was a random bloke with a child of about 12 in the seats. The bloke spent all the game staring at his phone, emitted a loud boo at half time and gave death stares to his kid who said 'I knew you'd be like this'. They left early. Our fans should stay way if that's all they can offer by way of support. 

4 hours ago, King Kevin said:

This is my 59th season watching the Rams ,they still make my weekend with a win and piss me of with a loss .Yesterday was a labour of love I was absolutely bored stiff watching that dross .

I don't mind losing as much if we give it a go, but that was devoid of desire ,passion as well as basic ability. I'm 64 and I swear blind I'm more mobile than that frigging midfield .

At the start of any season hope springs eternal but the club has lost it's way and you can call people fickle for wanting to watch a team that at least tries and I didn't see that today. 

Agree fully with your sentiment and I was bored senseless but they did try ... even Martin was trying hard I thought. They are also fitter. That made it even worse for me because it just highlighted in red that we have the wrong selection wrong tactics and the wrong players in the matchday squad. Based on a small sample size, Rowett is turning out to be more cautious than Clement and more stubborn in his selection than Pearson, but the football ok display is worryingly beginning to look the same as them.

9 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

The season ticket seats next to us haven't sold this season. There was a random bloke with a child of about 12 in the seats. The bloke spent all the game staring at his phone, emitted a loud boo at half time and gave death stares to his kid who said 'I knew you'd be like this'. They left early. Our fans should stay way if that's all they can offer by way of support. 

Rubbish

Didn't Mel himself say that he wanted to get promoted the right way? Playing expansive entertaining football?

So you expect the average fan to pay to suffer rather than pay to be entertained? I would have stared at my phone all game if I had a signal, it was an absolute waste of everyone's time watching Derby yesterday.

12 hours ago, irobinson said:

thought Wolves fans were great for their team today

Didn't particularly warm to them in the Harvester but hey - someones got to live in Wolverhampton

They were tossers after the match.

a few trying to pick fights with stragglers 

shouting "your fkn sht' your fkn sht!" 

I'm sure this has already been said but... only 27,000?  Not bad is it really?  I think attendances were bound to drop after so ,any Championship years and a poor season last year, but I don't think we need to beat ourselves up, or read too much into, an attendance of 27,000+.

Archived