Best Ever TV Shows

Comrade 86

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It ain't half hot, mum. Sacrificed by the  BBC on the altar of the great god 'political correctness', and never repeated. The late Don Estelle was understanably bitter about it right up to his death, and said it was no way racist, and several of his Indian friends said how much they enjoyed  it.

In one obituary it stated, rather sadly, "However, in recent years Estelle cut a slightly sorry figure, dressed in his Lofty outfit, setting out a stall of his tapes and singing to passers-by in shopping centres."

What a sad end.

22 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

I can't do make believe or fantasy at all. My brain can't deal with it. 

The crux of it though is that it's not about the dragons etc,they are a peripheral matter...it essentially nicks parts of European history involving back stabbing,plotting,violence and sex and sets it into a mythical time and place instead...I thought I would hate its to be honest but it's really rather brilliant and fantastically well scripted and acted.

Sith Happens
9 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Have you actually watched it,because it's certainly not for kids

Ha yeah sit the kids down for an afternoon of TV starting with GOT followed up by a couple of films from the Emmanuel series.

7 hours ago, Moist One said:

I have a DVD box set that someone gave me of that. I think it's that. Is it a hospital based comedy?

You can have it if you like! Never watched it

Cheers, but I'm on about the American political series. I think you might have the Green Wing, which was a comedy about a uk hospital. Appreciate the offer though ?

On 8/11/2017 at 02:43, 86 points said:

Yeah, as I said, I absolutely loved it. It's kind of a little known treasure, it seems to me. Being a full-on potty mouth the language did make me laugh. Surely the highest swear-count ever, The Commitments notwithstanding. I thought at one stage they were planning another series and I then read got shelved so I'd love it if they did do something to round it all off :thumbsup:

One of my favourite scenes was the writers' answer to the criticism of the swearing...the mayor (who was also great in Newhart) says something like "who knew they used such language in them olden days". Makes me laugh still, visualising that vacuous look he does...

14 hours ago, eddie said:

Threads.

Terrified me, yet it was absolutely brilliant in its stark realism and totally credible plot.

It left an indelible impression on me.

I suppose the only thing that has come near (other than NCIS and ER) has to be .........

Line of Duty!

I have the boxset of series 1-3 and hope to be able to re-live them shortly.

Everybody Loves Raymond is a classic - so is Friends (the earlier the better - as soon as Monica and Chandler get together it all goes tits up.

Brass eye was genius.

Only fool's obviously - there's a few other classic English comedies that never get old.

The first 2 or 3 series of 24 were gripping - as was homeland. I'm looking forward to exploring the masses of box sets I've heard good things about - peaky blinders, breaking bad etc. Just as soon as my many many children grow up and leave me the hell alone!!!

12 minutes ago, Budgie895 said:

Love Thy Neighbour, you would never get away with what they say now in this PC world

You miss a bit of casual racism, do you?

11 hours ago, rammieib said:

Page 4 before West Wing was mentioned!

Madame Secretary is doing ok.

Really want to watch House of Cards but not available on sky and don't have Netflicks.

do you want me to see if I have a spare Netflix account? I think you get about 5 with the UHD account.

Archived