ABBA??

Stive Pesley

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just saw this take place in the Arsenal v Chelsea shootout, and I'm not a fan.

Whilst I understand normally the team going second has the added pressure, (that's what you get when you lose a coin toss) the new ABBA system has just shown that you can have situations where a team only needs to score one of their two consecutive penalties to win, resulting in the complete oppposite effect and in fact relieving pressure on the shooter.

And if everyone scores, you still get to the point where the team going first has scored all 5 of their penalties and the team going second shoots last to try and take it into sudden death. Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

It's stupid, IMO. Go back to the normal way.

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

Just saw this take place in the Arsenal v Chelsea shootout, and I'm not a fan.

Whilst I understand normally the team going second has the added pressure, (that's what you get when you lose a coin toss) the new ABBA system has just shown that you can have situations where a team only needs to score one of their two consecutive penalties to win, resulting in the complete oppposite effect and in fact relieving pressure on the shooter.

And if everyone scores, you still get to the point where the team going first has scored all 5 of their penalties and the team going second shoots last to try and take it into sudden death. Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

It's stupid, IMO. Go back to the normal way.

But if they dont come up with these things it means some people wont get paid massive salaries and get put up in lavish hotels with huge expense accounts. They have to keep coming up with these stupid ideas to keep themselves in these jobs.

PistoldPete2

Will the players have to wear shiny hotpants? Will they toss up to decide who is Agnetha and which one is Bjorn?

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

But if they dont come up with these things it means some people wont get paid massive salaries and get put up in lavish hotels with huge expense accounts. They have to keep coming up with these stupid ideas to keep themselves in these jobs.

Nail.

Head.

Which is exactly what I would like to do to these prats who keep trying to fix things that are not even broken.

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Nail.

Head.

Which is exactly what I would like to do to these prats who keep trying to fix things that are not even broken.

Precisely. They reckon 60% of the time the team goin second looses the shoot out. Well currently 100% of the time the team going second has won. It'll never be an exact 50/50 split, and 60/40 isn't bad at all. So why did they decide that's as broken?

Maybe if it was 80/20, you might think there's something a bit up with that and we should make the team goon first take their boots off to even it up or something. 

But 60/40 isn't statistically significant is it. It could just as easily be 40/60. 

There's no need to make penalties "fair" anyway. Penalties are a last resort if teams are unable to be separated after normal time. The prospect of being unfairly eliminated on penalties acts as a good incentive to actually try to win the game in normal time. This rule change is anti football, disincentives' attacking play and encourages teams to play negative football and hold out for penalties. Whoever came up with this ought to be hit with a rolled up newspaper and put outside to ruminate on their behaviour.

Archived