Peno takers

Derbylad92

We are ridiculously bad at putting them in the back of the net

bent is probably the best we have as I have only seen him miss one!

martin seems more like 50/50 

nugent is none from one

johnson is none from one 

Bryson 100% positive  I think 

as well as Blackman who has his career goals bulked up by penalties but he is never going to get close to a real game.

it is good that they all want to take them but give me that defender that smashes them in every time! 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

We are ridiculously bad at putting them in the back of the net

bent is probably the best we have as I have only seen him miss one!

martin seems more like 50/50 

nugent is none from one

johnson is none from one 

Bryson 100% positive  I think 

as well as Blackman who has his career goals bulked up by penalties but he is never going to get close to a real game.

it is good that they all want to take them but give me that defender that smashes them in every time! 

You are right,I'd forgotten how good bryson was at them.

Bryson for penalty taker.

15 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

You are right,I'd forgotten how good bryson was at them.

Bryson for penalty taker.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/25891859

On-loan Manchester United striker Federico Macheda's late goal rescued a draw for Birmingham City on his debut.

Rams midfielder Craig Bryson had a penalty saved before Brian Howard headed the home side into the lead.

Blackman and Bent are the best penalty takers at the club, shame they're not in the team or available to play.

Dont really trust Martin to take them, he's missed quite a few in his time. I'd go with Huddlestone, I think he's got the most experience out of our players, the pressure of taking a penalty away at Preston isn't going to be the same stress to him as it will be to others.

He can t**** it one too.

1 hour ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Pretty sure Bryson scored one, then missed the next (at Birmingham?) and didn't take any more after that. He's definitely not 100% at them.

Fair enough, it was just my memory of them! But we poor with them aren't we! 

1 hour ago, Saul Pimpson said:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/25891859

On-loan Manchester United striker Federico Macheda's late goal rescued a draw for Birmingham City on his debut.

Rams midfielder Craig Bryson had a penalty saved before Brian Howard headed the home side into the lead.

I will give myself an excuse for that one, I landed at an airport on the USA west coast so I only saw the score and goal scorers!

1 hour ago, Leicester Ram said:

Blackman and Bent are the best penalty takers at the club, shame they're not in the team or available to play.

Dont really trust Martin to take them, he's missed quite a few in his time. I'd go with Huddlestone, I think he's got the most experience out of our players, the pressure of taking a penalty away at Preston isn't going to be the same stress to him as it will be to others.

He can t**** it one too.

I don't think it's a shame that there not in the team! But they are the best penalty takers

36 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Chris Martin then David Nugent then someone else. 

Chris Martin is without doubt one of the worst penalty taking strikers I've ever seen, if he's taking them we ain't scoring many. No power, no height on them, I'm pretty sure he's missed a hell of a lot more than he's scored. Damn good player but he can't take a penalty to save his life.

Dunno who we've got who can take them tbh, Bryson is s**** at them as well, Russell ain't much better either. Weimann maybe? Vydra if he's on the field? Either that or huddlestone.

Hilarious opening post!

Using maths/physics, the optimum place to take a penalty is high into the top corner. Those are effectively unsavable.

But, when you see accomplished modern penalty takers, they are able to watch the goalkeeper rather than have eyes only for the ball. If the keeper dives they can simply stroke the ball into the other side of the goal. I the keeper waits, they just blast it into the top corner.

None of our players seems capable of this technique. So it fell to our least technically gifted footballer to attempt yesterday's spotkick. As Bradley stepped up, the keeper had already gone yet he still hit it in that same direction, admittedly powerfully but at mid-height.

In normal play 80% of penalties are scored (shootouts drop to 75%). Our record really does feel as if it's well below 50% but I haven't seen the stats. Penalties change games and whole seasons. If Benty had scored against Reading on the final day, we might have been promoted. But he put it where he always puts it, except low down so within reach.

If I were Rowett and the coaching staff I would put serious work into improving this area with the key personnel who might get the honour. For me Big Tom is likely to be the best option.

PistoldPete2
1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

Chris Martin is without doubt one of the worst penalty taking strikers I've ever seen, if he's taking them we ain't scoring many. No power, no height on them, I'm pretty sure he's missed a hell of a lot more than he's scored. Damn good player but he can't take a penalty to save his life.

Dunno who we've got who can take them tbh, Bryson is s**** at them as well, Russell ain't much better either. Weimann maybe? Vydra if he's on the field? Either that or huddlestone.

He's certainly scored more than he's missed, but he has missed a few.

Archived