The 2017/18 Academy Thread

Carl Sagan

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

This is ridiculous, we're a much better team than them and now find ourselves 2-3 behind 

Never a corner but the ref gave it and after a scramble they lash it home. Really disappointing. Rams had three chances to equalize already. The defender just dived in and saved the close-range shot for a clear penalty but nothing given.

Edit: nearly halfway through injury time and Derby haven't used their third sub. Seems a strange one. Surely now is the time for fresh legs. Perhaps we're waiting until halftime to see if anyone's struggling. All Derby but it's just not dropping and our finishing has just not been good enough.

Edit: Back on the ref, he's already shown himself to be another Clive Thomas. At the end of the first half we had a corner and he blew for time as the ball came over, just before a shot went narrowly wide. What is wrong with officials?

I have to say, that was some SHOCKING finishing on display by Derby. I started watching just after the injury stuff and every player took at least 2 extra touches before shooting, probably 10 or so separate occasions.

I feel like these lads are miles behind the U23s (when they're not all out on loan) - although I suppose some of the U18s have been moved up with all the loans happening.

Also, missing a penalty in the 105th minute (normal time) is pretty criminal. He's gonna be feeling that one for a while. Shame, probably the U18s best player.

5 minutes ago, OohMartWright said:

How can anyone say that Bogle's penalty was a good one? No power, no placement and completely telegraphed. My mum could have done better and she's 83.

He struck it firmly towards the corner, but it was along the ground.

The theory behing penalties is that high in the corners is unsavable https://www.fourfourtwo.com/performance/training/penalty-perfection

Few players are confident enough to do that, but it's noticeable Vydra goes high. When Bent first came to Derby his penalties were high in the corner and unstoppable but then he started going low into the corner and they kept being saved.

Compared to many penalties I thought Bogle's was reasonably struck, but if I was training the players I would make sure they always went high, varying between left, right and sometimes down the middle.

Difference between the two teams has been finishing. Norwich taken their chances but we've been hesitant in front of goal despite lots of possession. 

Interesting comparison with the first team at the moment - much less of the ball but making chances count.

Harsh luck losing our captain when we did - probably our most composed player. I hope it's not as serious as it looked.

1 minute ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Not our night. How they can lose 2-4 to a far inferior team is beyond me. Perhaps they missed the physical presence of Rashid around our box. Disgraceful officiating.

Wondered why Rashid isn't playing. Presume he must be injured? The players will be bitter but we lost our heads for a while because of the officiating and didn't take our chances. Would rather lose tonight and win tomorrow. Great that the Blunts have dropped points tonight. The penalty miss was a blow but if I were Wisdom I'd be worrying Bogle was after my place.

Full time 4-2 to Norwich.

2 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Wondered why Rashid isn't playing. Presume he must be injured? The players will be bitter but we lost our heads for a while because of the officiating and didn't take our chances. Would rather lose tonight and win tomorrow. Great that the Blunts have dropped points tonight. The penalty miss was a blow but if I were Wisdom I'd be worrying Bogle was after my place.

Stabana's still better i reckon

1 minute ago, Carl Sagan said:

Yeah I think they said pre game that Rashid was injured.

Agree re Bogle, penalty aside he was terrific, but I think you mean "if I were Baird" ;)

14 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I have to say, that was some SHOCKING finishing on display by Derby. I started watching just after the injury stuff and every player took at least 2 extra touches before shooting, probably 10 or so separate occasions.

I feel like these lads are miles behind the U23s (when they're not all out on loan) - although I suppose some of the U18s have been moved up with all the loans happening.

Also, missing a penalty in the 105th minute (normal time) is pretty criminal. He's gonna be feeling that one for a while. Shame, probably the U18s best player.

I agree. Some look 5 years behind.  

6 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Yeah I think they said pre game that Rashid was injured.

Agree re Bogle, penalty aside he was terrific, but I think you mean "if I were Baird" ;)

Well, the meaning was intended to be that I'd have him as cover for Baird, learning the positional side while he prepares to be the next Kyle Walker. Not that I'd throw him straight into the first team at this crucial time. So I'll stick with what I wrote! ;)

Quick question to those who have a decent knowledge of our youth products...compared to our current wingers/attacking miss, where do you think Luke Thomas rates? Should he be getting on the bench? Should he be getting in the 11? Where does he rank among:

Matej Vydra

Tom Lawrence

Johnny Russell

Andreas Weimann

Mason Bennett

57 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Quick question to those who have a decent knowledge of our youth products...compared to our current wingers/attacking miss, where do you think Luke Thomas rates? Should he be getting on the bench? Should he be getting in the 11? Where does he rank among:

Matej Vydra

Tom Lawrence

Johnny Russell

Andreas Weimann

Mason Bennett

Personally, I prefer the type of player Thomas is to your Bennetts, Weimanns, Russells who are more athletic. He's a more technical player. But he's pretty lightweight for the Championship. At the moment, I would personally put him ahead of Bennett and that's it. But, if we got promoted I might be tempted to put him above Russell and Weimann too, he'd be more suited to the prem.

Just my opinion though.

Archived