The 2017/18 Academy Thread

Carl Sagan

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

The view from East Anglia in the buildup to our FA Youth Cup game away at Norwich on Friday:

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/city-expect-really-tough-youth-cup-encounter-with-derby-1-5350146

Expecting/hoping to be able to watch on RamsTV. Kickoff 7pm.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2018/01/live-and-free-fa-youth-cup-football-on-ramstv-this-friday-night

:thumbsup:

It seems all our best young talent is going out on loan. Zanzala, Vernam, and Lowe for a start.

Doesnt seem much of an advert for our academy players that they cant get anywhere near the first team at the moment.

47 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

It seems all our best young talent is going out on loan. Zanzala, Vernam, and Lowe for a start.

Doesnt seem much of an advert for our academy players that they cant get anywhere near the first team at the moment.

The majority of our best young talent SHOULD be going out on loan, this is how they develop/prove their ability without disrupting the first team results.

23 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

The majority of our best young talent SHOULD be going out on loan, this is how they develop/prove their ability without disrupting the first team results.

Have man U sent Rashford out on loan?

Just now, DC-1975 said:

Who will play up front now? We've loaned out 3 forwards this week.

Does Lewis Walker normally play centre forward or will we use one of the over age players not getting a game Bent/Martin to keep them sharp?

Walker plays up front normally, Cameron Cresswell (U18) is a talent and could get a go, plus Bent as you say.

This suggests to me that the youth set up is preparing for a bit of an overhaul in terms of players come the end of this season. Based on little other than I remember another Cat A team quite recently loaned out a bunch of their lads and then got rid of the vast majority of the others who didn't go out on loan, in the summer. Brought in a new batch.

I don't know the reason for the loaning.

Perhaps they don't feel they'll benefit from playing with the majority of the other youth lads as much as first team football, so they loan them until they get rid.

Or maybe they want to just separate them before they get rid like some farmers do before slaughter.

Could be wrong o'course. The club might have just abandoned the idea of developing players in the U23 league and have decided loans are a better avenue.

42 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

This suggests to me that the youth set up is preparing for a bit of an overhaul in terms of players come the end of this season. Based on little other than I remember another Cat A team quite recently loaned out a bunch of their lads and then got rid of the vast majority of the others who didn't go out on loan, in the summer. Brought in a new batch.

I don't know the reason for the loaning.

Perhaps they don't feel they'll benefit from playing with the majority of the other youth lads as much as first team football, so they loan them until they get rid.

Or maybe they want to just separate them before they get rid like some farmers do before slaughter.

Could be wrong o'course. The club might have just abandoned the idea of developing players in the U23 league and have decided loans are a better avenue.

Your last sentence makes sense to me. Maybe the original idea really was to blend those promising ones to the first-team but this surprising success changed the plans? And now they have to get the first-team experience elsewhere?

50 minutes ago, Rab a dab doo said:

There has to be a balance between loaning out too many young players for experience and weakening the U23's too much that they become uncompetitive.

This may lead them going into  a spiral of losses and possible relegation. This would undo all the good work of previous years. 

I agree, but player development is more important than winning individual u23 games... it's a fine balance though as you say.

As it happens the u23 results picked up last season when many of the more senior players were loaned out so they should still be competitive with the likes of Bogle, Knight, Bird & Mitchell-Lawson Cresswell  stepping up.

Just now, Saul Pimpson said:

Bogle!!! De ja vu!!!

Indeed almost a carbon copy of his goal against Man Utd in the last round. This lad (fullback for those who don't know, brother of Omar who's the Cardiff striker) has been doing very well and according to the commentary he travelled to Old Trafford with the first team squad for the FA Cup tie.

5 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Indeed almost a carbon copy of his goal against Man Utd in the last round. This lad (fullback for those who don't know, brother of Omar who's the Cardiff striker) has been doing very well and according to the commentary he travelled to Old Trafford with the first team squad for the FA Cup tie.

Really like the look of Bogle, plays like a young Kyle Walker.

13 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Really like the look of Bogle, plays like a young Kyle Walker.

Agree he looks another great find this season.

Talking of which, I think they said Luke Thomas is on the bench. Very sensible if we need him to make the difference in the closing stages. It would be great to go far in this tournament.

3 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Agree he looks another great find this season.

Talking of which, I think they said Luke Thomas is on the bench. Very sensible if we need him to make the difference in the closing stages. It would be great to go far in this tournament.

Henry Wise, son of Dennis, also on the bench... I think he's the little baby that Dennis held when lifting the FA Cup with Chelsea! :lol:

Archived