The 2017/18 Academy Thread

Carl Sagan

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, sage said:

Vernam looked excellent again tonight.

He surely did, same great surging runs a la Matthias Sammer. You don't see that kind of ability often. Best of our outfield players, but then again Guy wasn't playing...Roos was excellent too, had to work for his clean sheet.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

But somewhat like Weimann, two great chances but no end product, neither goal nor pass.

He forced a save both times. He isn't the complete package yet but he should make the bench again this season.

7 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Except he was doing it as a driving central midfielder rather than a wide man - more Bryson than Weimann.

Fine. End result was the same, particularly the last attempt when he should have passed wide I thought.

The U23s seems to be playing as a bunch of good individuals atm (understandable with all the changes) rather than a 'great' team. I also think it would benefit them to have 2 or 3 '1st teamers' playing. Only Roos really stood out last night for me anyway, and his influence was vital.

33 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Both times made the wrong decision. Needs to go out on loan again first.

I would disagree on the decisions. We engineered himself a shooting opportunity from a central position just inside the box.

Zanzala was very wide and on his weaker foot. Basically trying to draw defenders away.

Vernam is usually a better striker of the ball than that.

I would agree that a loan with a Div 1 team will help in Jan. If we don't qualify for Europe there are large gaps between fixtures in the New Year.

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Fine. End result was the same, particularly the last attempt when he should have passed wide I thought.

The U23s seems to be playing as a bunch of good individuals atm (understandable with all the changes) rather than a 'great' team. I also think it would benefit them to have 2 or 3 '1st teamers' playing. Only Roos really stood out last night for me anyway, and his influence was vital.

That was a very young team though and Vernam took on that 'senior' role last night. He's usually playing with Guy, Lowe, Thomas and even Bennett around him . Also thought the defence was very inexperienced with Stabana at centre back (out of position) and Babos was playing much further back than he usually does so there's no wonder some of the flowing team element was missing.

First game back for Sven Karic after a long lay off and he did well, too.

Under the circumstances the whole team did well and Vernam came out with a lot of credit.

Great to see Roos handling the ball so well and he made some excellent saves.

It was another cold night but I enjoyed the game - all be it a different type of performance.

Everton was pretty good too and would've deserved the win to be honest. Would've been good test for "academy's first team", they were so solid at the back...

Overall, at this level, it's a bound to show if you're missing players like Guy and Thomas.

2 hours ago, sage said:

I would disagree on the decisions. We engineered himself a shooting opportunity from a central position just inside the box.

I disagree on your view. He didn't score and we didn't win. The player wide had been calling for a pass. He needs to go play with the big boys some more.

I wonder how our Swindon lads are enjoying their time away?

41 minutes ago, angieram said:

That was a very young team though and Vernam took on that 'senior' role last night. He's usually playing with Guy, Lowe, Thomas and even Bennett around him . Also thought the defence was very inexperienced with Stabana at centre back (out of position) and Babos was playing much further back than he usually does so there's no wonder some of the flowing team element was missing.

First game back for Sven Karic after a long lay off and he did well, too.

Under the circumstances the whole team did well and Vernam came out with a lot of credit.

Great to see Roos handling the ball so well and he made some excellent saves.

It was another cold night but I enjoyed the game - all be it a different type of performance.

I'd have stuck another 1st teamer in for experience, as per Roos. It's easier to learn from an experienced player than having to reinvent the wheel? I thought we looked good individuals but not a team, can't see youngsters benefitting from that. Be interesting to see how Vernam develops though.

From the outside, it appears that Timi Max Elsnik and Kellan Gordon are thriving at Swindon Town.

The Rams midfielders both linked up with the Robins on a loan deal until January and as we approach Christmas, we wanted to catch up with how the pair are getting on.

“I’m not saying it’s not a challenge with the Under-23s, it is, but heading out on loan you are playing men’s football week in, week out. Playing first team football is what we all aspire to be playing and I would be advising anyone my age to go out there and get the experience,” Gordon said.

Since making his Derby debut as a substitute in the Carabao Cup First Round win over Grimsby Town, the wideman has played 17 times for the Robins and scored three goals...

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2017/12/its-been-different-to-anything-we-have-experienced-before

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

I disagree on your view. He didn't score and we didn't win. The player wide had been calling for a pass. He needs to go play with the big boys some more.

I wonder how our Swindon lads are enjoying their time away?

No he didn't score. It doesn't mean he made the wrong decision. Hey ho we'll have to agree to disagree.

It would be interesting to see him get a run of senior games.

I'd have stuck another 1st teamer in for experience, as per Roos. It's easier to learn from an experienced player than having to reinvent the wheel? I thought we looked good individuals but not a team, can't see youngsters benefitting from that. Be interesting to see how Vernam develops though.

The first teamers who may have featured and the U23s who missed out last night will be playing tonight vs Oldham. The coaching staff presumably think it is better for their development by fielding who they did yesterday. 

32 minutes ago, sage said:

No he didn't score. It doesn't mean he made the wrong decision. Hey ho we'll have to agree to disagree.

It would be interesting to see him get a run of senior games.

For someone else on loan - he's nowhere near 1st team level for us, well not if we want to challenge for promotion that is.

For someone else on loan - he's nowhere near 1st team level for us, well not if we want to challenge for promotion that is.

Yes. A lower Div One or upper Div Two.

I think he will end up being a better player than Bennett.

Archived