Jon Toral - signed for Hull City

Animal is a Ram

Just now, Inglorius said:

Playing devil's advocate here -  how many instances were there when Russell got into a promising position then his final pass was totally wayward or his shot was blazed horribly wide.

About the same as most other wingers that are in this league at a guess.

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, rynny said:

My point is that he is your typical average Championship winger, when he is at his best there are not many that are better than him. I have been disappointed in the past year or so, bar a few performances towards the end of the season under Rowett. As such I think it is a little to early to write him off completely, just yet, as he does have it in him.

Torres' decline was down to injury, which Liverpool rushed him back and he lost confidence and his sharpness.

But that's the point we are all making, how many times has Russell been "at his best", many of his goals and assists come in short spells of 6-7 games then he goes missing for about 20 games then repeat. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because many see him best on the right wing but looking at his individual performances in pre season and especially in one of the games where a non league defender embarrassed and pocketed him, I don't think he deserves to be a starter at the moment and it would be unfair on other players.

3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I'd just like an improvement on both wings because I feel that they as a set aren't quite good enough and are all very similar. In 13/14, the reason the wingers played so well is because they all brought something different Dawkins with his link up player, Bamford with his ability to grab a goal from nothing, Ward with his direct running and Russell with a combination. 

Weimann and Russell will be useful in certain games, but I don't think either are good enough to take us any higher than 8th in the table if they are supposed to be our main wingers/inside forwards.

I agree - But I'm not sure why Russell seems to be the focus of this ire!

I don't see what Blackman gives us which Weimann and Russell don't - Anya gives us some versatility but as an attacking threat he's less useful as he panics whenever confronted by the goal (saw a few times last season where a shot was the better option and he tried to cross it)

So apparently now the wide players have to create and score 12 goals a season with 12 assists as well as tracking players up and down the pitch now I always thought centre forwards score the goals and everyone else chips in - some of our posters just like to constantly criticise players who bring an awful lot to the team.

4 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

So apparently now the wide players have to create and score 12 goals a season with 12 assists as well as tracking players up and down the pitch now I always thought centre forwards score the goals and everyone else chips in - some of our posters just like to constantly criticise players who bring an awful lot to the team.

In a 46 game season + cup games, I think that's reasonable. If we rely heavily on Martin to score all the goals then we would be in trouble because as soon as the supply to him stops, the whole team would be stopped. In today's game you need goals from everywhere in order to be successful.

22 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

Playing devil's advocate here -  how many instances were there when Russell got into a promising position then his final pass was totally wayward or his shot was blazed horribly wide.

Just having a browse on Whoscored.com for some numbers

Last season (which was a VERY bad season for Russell and pretty much the whole squad) he had 1.8 unsuccessful touches per 90 mins and was dispossessed 1.4 times per 90 mins - Ritchie 1.8/1.6 - Knockaert 1.8/1.8 - Lawrence 2.8/2.6 - Ince 2.5/1.3 - Jota 2.5/1.6

So his touch probably isn't all that bad?

Successful dribbles per game was at a poor 1 - Vs Tom Ince at 1.1 - Matt Ritchie at 0.5 (different kind of player admittedly)

Shots was at 1.9 which shows how poor his finishing was last season (2 goals) - The same level of shots per 90 as Adam Reach (3 goals), Van La Parra (2 goals), Cotterill (3 goals) and Gouffran (an impressive 5)

He did take more of his shots from in the box than any of those players (1.2 per 90 mins) showing he's getting into the right positions still - Maybe just a lack of confidence?

So in what was a bad season for Russell he wasn't that dreadful compared to some of the other wingers in the league - Even some who won promotion - And this was a bad season for him

14 minutes ago, McLovin said:

And on your point on Anya being a "promotion winger" @cheron85, I don't he's quite good enough either, as I said previously players can decline quickly, especially someone like him who relied heavily on his pace.

Think Anya is still plenty quick

9 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Just having a browse on Whoscored.com for some numbers

Last season (which was a VERY bad season for Russell and pretty much the whole squad) he had 1.8 unsuccessful touches per 90 mins and was dispossessed 1.4 times per 90 mins - Ritchie 1.8/1.6 - Knockaert 1.8/1.8 - Lawrence 2.8/2.6 - Ince 2.5/1.3 - Jota 2.5/1.6

So his touch probably isn't all that bad?

Successful dribbles per game was at a poor 1 - Vs Tom Ince at 1.1 - Matt Ritchie at 0.5 (different kind of player admittedly)

Shots was at 1.9 which shows how poor his finishing was last season (2 goals) - The same level of shots per 90 as Adam Reach (3 goals), Van La Parra (2 goals), Cotterill (3 goals) and Gouffran (an impressive 5)

He did take more of his shots from in the box than any of those players (1.2 per 90 mins) showing he's getting into the right positions still - Maybe just a lack of confidence?

So in what was a bad season for Russell he wasn't that dreadful compared to some of the other wingers in the league - Even some who won promotion - And this was a bad season for him

Think Anya is still plenty quick

I think Russell's problem for himself is he set very high standards for himself in the past. At this point, he's expected to live up to how he performed in seasons gone by, and he doesn't seem close to regaining that form.

I don't think anyone can argue 13/14 or 14/15 Russell wasn't a bloody good player, but since then as with much of the squad, they seem to have lost some of the ability they had from that era, such as Bryson as another example.

Bryson and Russell are both victims of their success in some ways, as they'll always be judged from their top seasons, but it's up to them to reach that level again. 

1 minute ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

I presume you weren't at the game!? 

Watched on RamsTv. Saw it all in my one eye.  ?

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I think Russell's problem for himself is he set very high standards for himself in the past. At this point, he's expected to live up to how he performed in seasons gone by, and he doesn't seem close to regaining that form.

I don't think anyone can argue 13/14 or 14/15 Russell wasn't a bloody good player, but since then as with much of the squad, they seem to have lost some of the ability they had from that era, such as Bryson as another example.

Bryson and Russell are both victims of their success in some ways, as they'll always be judged from their top seasons, but it's up to them to reach that level again. 

Everyone had a bad year last year - We got screwed by a manager who didn't know what he was doing - Or misjudged what he should be doing - And a lot of our players were affected by it

13/14 Russell had a few more shots on goal (2.3) but less from in the box (1) so looks like he's getting in the right positions MORE but finishing less well - For a forward finishing is as much about confidence as quality

He did a LOT more successful dribbles (2.1) - But did have Martin to play off that season

His unsuccessful touches were about the same (1.4) so his touch hasn't got much worse - However he was dispossessed a LOT more (2.7) which you'd expect if he was more influential 

So yes - I'd like a 13/14 Russell back - But 14/15 and 15/16 Russell was good - In fact I think his game has developed - And I think last season was more about confidence than anything else

34 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Kidderminster left back had Nick Blackman in his back pocket says it all but you will probably ignore that one. 

Complete b******* mate, Blackman skinned him a few times and set up the goal as pointed out. 

Archived