Signed: Tom Lawrence - Undisclosed fee, long term contract

RamsFan10

4 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

I don't see what the problem is I've read articles saying that even if Huddersfield get relegated they will get £100million plus another £85 million in parachute payments. And we're quibbling over a few million quid for Lawrence. Pennywise pound foolish.  

Like I said, we've got a chairman who has gambled 50 million of his own money over three and a half seasons and seen us go backwards, but it's still not enough for some.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

I don't see what the problem is I've read articles saying that even if Huddersfield get relegated they will get £100million plus another £85 million in parachute payments. And we're quibbling over a few million quid for Lawrence. Pennywise pound foolish.  

The one difference is they are in the premier league. If we get relegated we are in the poo!!

money doesn't buy success all the time, if it did we would be promoted already. Need to buy the right players for the right price

just for the record I'm as frustrated as the next Rams fan

Just now, EnigmaRam said:

The one difference is they are in the premier league. If we get relegated we are in the poo!!

money doesn't buy success all the time, if it did we would be promoted already. Need to buy the right players for the right price

just for the record I'm as frustrated as the next Rams fan

It can buy success if you spend it on the right players.

If true, I wonder whether this would change GR's stance on "telephone number" fees. Either we think he's worth £7mil or we don't. If we don't, then the news of the Brighton interest will make zero difference because we wouldn't have paid the fee anyway.

If we do think he's worth it, but are playing games to try and get the fee down, then we may need to decide to act fast. Given a straight choice of Brighton or Derby I expect we'd lose out. However if we were the only offer on the table with him being pretty much a guaranteed starter, then I still think we'd have a good chance.

6 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

We had both ends of the spectrum last season, Newcastle and Villa, now we have Boro and Fulham

be interesting to see where they end up!!

Said it before but some of our fans are absolute poison. 

We've spent so much money. Not very wisely. But we have. We've been heavily criticised by our fans for spending over the odds on players. Yet at the slightest chance a PREMIER LEAGUE club could bid for him, all of a sudden we should splash the cash again. 

I'd love Lawrence here. He's a fantastic prospect. But that's all he is. One very good season at championship level. He's into the last year of his contract and if Brighton want to spend £8 million on him, let them. Because he isn't worth that. If Derby just went and signed him for £8 million our fans would have moaned like anything. 

Talk of us being slow with the deal? How do we know? If it was up to Derby im sure Lawrence would have signed by now. But it's not. It's up to Leicester. They wanted to have a look at him in pre season. They played in Hong Kong. Got back 3 days ago. Played a friendly the other night. We don't know what Leicester have said to us. 

Also, just cos it's in the mirror, doesn't mean it's true. 

If we signed every player the papers say we are going to sign then we'd have a squad of about 800.

Yes we've spent a lot of money but a lot of it was wasted towards the end of the transfer window because we tried to be too clever by getting players for cheaper. We will end up with David Cotterrill for 5 million of deadline day guaranteed because we were wasting too much time trying to get a cheaper deal for Lawrence.

A lot of people are stuck in the past with transfer window prices and I worry that Rowett is too. If you want good players then you will need to pay telephone prices. We live in a world where an 18 year old costs 160 million pounds, yes 160 million. Prices will continue to inflate more and more in the future. Say we pay 8 million for Lawrence, even if he flops, the way the prices are going, we would still manage to get the majority of our money back.

If we genuinely want him we just need to go for him. He has great potential and currently he's probably better than any winger we have. He's only going to get better so it would be a wise investment in terms of the fee.

We're looking at a market this summer where Boro are close to paying £7mil for a 21-year-old striker from West Ham whose entire professional career consists of 21 games and 5 goals at League One level in 2016. Paying the same fee for Lawrence with two decent seasons and one very good season at three poor sides in this division doesn't seem bad at all.

Initially looking at the reports it could look like this is Leicester's response to the telephone number comment by GR. Whether this news tonight is genuine or not, it doesn't really matter. If we piss about we'll probably lose out on him. We have the money and I think he would most certainly improve us as a team.

19 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Please enlighten us - who are the right players?

What is our fiscal strategy, putting money in a savings acount and getting a safe but unspectacular 1% guaranteed interest every year or investing in the stock market with the potential for double digit growth but also the potential for losing some of your investment? 

It is about time Rowett sealed the deal. He has sold two of our better players without acquiring adequate replacements. With the season a few weeks away it doesn't seem a very sensible state of affairs. If a side like Huddersfield can acquire 4 quality loan players from Premier League sides in no time flat and be ready for a promotion push why are Derby farting around?

3 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

It is about time Rowett sealed the deal. He has sold two of our better players without acquiring adequate replacements. With the season a few weeks away it doesn't seem a very sensible state of affairs. If a side like Huddersfield can acquire 4 quality loan players from Premier League sides in no time flat and be ready for a promotion push why are Derby farting around?

Again, how do you know it's us "farting around" ?

He's Leicester City's player, not ours.

Archived