Lack of Goals

DCFC1388

Last season we struggled to score goals, only bagging 54. Newcastle went up scoring 85 and Brighton 74, Huddersfield with only 56. 

With the likelihood of Ince leaving it does leave us short of goals in theory but with the squad we have got, minus Ince, how many should we be targeting? Below is what I think...

Defenders - at least 8 goals between them. 4 goals last season

Centre Mids - at least 10 goals between them. 9 goals last season

Wingers (Anya Russell Weimann Blackman) - at least 15 goals between them. 18 goals last season inc Ince

Forwards (Martin Nugent Vydra Bent) - at least 40 goals between them. 20 goals last season (+ Martin 10)

With a few own goals that would take us to around 75 goals. Surely the above is achievable and that's without any signings

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

If it's achievable why didn't it happen last season. Discuss. 

Changes of manages, changes of formation, injuries, poor form, all sorts of reasons.

For example, Butterfield got 1 goal last season, you would think he should be looking at 5 goals, Keogh got 0 goals, imo a first choice centre back should be getting 2 goals a season.

12 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Changes of manages, changes of formation, injuries all sorts of reasons. For example, Butterfield got 1 goal this season, you would think he should be looking at 5 goals, Keogh got 0 goals, imo a first choice centre back should be getting 2 goals a season

Interesting that you didn't mention loaning out our leading goadscorer for the past few seasons as being a contributory factor

46 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Last season we struggled to score goals, only bagging 54. Newcastle went up scoring 85 and Brighton 74, Huddersfield with only 56. 

With the likelihood of Ince leaving it does leave us short of goals in theory but with the squad we have got, minus Ince, how many should we be targeting? Below is what I think...

Defenders - at least 8 goals between them. 4 goals last season

Centre Mids - at least 10 goals between them. 9 goals last season

Wingers (Anya Russell Weimann Blackman) - at least 15 goals between them. 18 goals last season inc Ince

Forwards (Martin Nugent Vydra Bent) - at least 40 goals between them. 20 goals last season (+ Martin 10)

With a few own goals that would take us to around 75 goals. Surely the above is achievable and that's without any signings

The return of Martin is important because of his influence in creating goals, whether it be through direct assists or movement to create space. Nugent has this too, and the midfielders/wingers should thrive on this more so I would expect more chances created at the very least.

7 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

Interesting that you didn't mention loaning out our leading goadscorer for the past few seasons as being a contributory factor

I didn't mention that purely down to putting in my original post about it not including Ince but included his goals, kind of swapped Martin for Ince in the reasoning

5 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

We didn't have Martin last year(well most of it)

....who not only scores a fair share but sets up those goals from midfield. I'm expecting at least 12 goals from midfield and maybe up to 15 now he's back.

43 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

If it's achievable why didn't it happen last season. Discuss. 

Well when you loan out your top score and most creative player and don't replace him, is it any surprise you struggle to score ?

(Should have read further down before responding)

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

....who not only scores a fair share but sets up those goals from midfield. I'm expecting at least 12 goals from midfield and maybe up to 15 now he's back.

Dependant on how rowett actually allows them to exploit Martin,but russell and bryson should be happy to be bouncing off Martin again....they have both struggled since he left with finding the onion bag.If you watch videos of many of their goals,they are set up by Martin's trademark back heels or cross straight into their feet in the box....

For some reason,noone else has been capable of doing that since he left.

3 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Dependant on how rowett actually allows them to exploit Martin,but russell and bryson should be happy to be bouncing off Martin again....they have both struggled since he left with finding the onion bag.If you watch videos of many of their goals,they are set up by Martin's trademark back heels or cross straight into their feet in the box....

For some reason,noone else has been capable of doing that since he left.

Johnson and Butterfield will benefit too. Thorne creates his own goals! :wub:

Can I just add that despite all this talk about how rubbish our defence was last year - this is where our real problem was - lack of goals. We know we have the players to score them - just need to sort it out, Gary!

I'm worried that our lack of goals over the closed season will be a problem in the long term - Where are the pics of Vydra scoring a screamer from 10 yards on the beach? Where are the videos of Bent heading a belter past his kid in the garden?

At least we know Martin is still providing 'assists' and Christie can chip in with the odd goal

I think a Martin/Vydra partnership in a 4-2-3-1 is the key to us scoring goals next season. They've both got decent link up play and Martin is at his absolute best when he's got someone playing close to him. Similarly, Vydra 

If you have Vydra's role be all about doing what Bryson was doing in 13/14, running past Martin and playing one two's, I think they'll both rack up the goals. I think they can both play in either the ST or AM role that gives some nice fluidity and versatility. That allows Vydra to play on the shoulder at times and also allows Martin to drop into midfield without leaving us with no one up top.

Overload down the left wing with Fozzy/Lowe and whoever's playing LW, create a crossing threat down there. Hopefully having Martin and Vydra in there will give us more options in the box than ever.

Not a clue if we'll keep Ince but if we do I'd say give him freedom on the right wing. Let Wisdom focus on defending and give Ince space to just do his own thing cutting in on his left foot. Doesn't mean we're entirely reliant on Ince but still gives him the environment to thrive. If Ince leaves, move Russell over to the left wing and have him linking up with Martin. I know a lot of people are critical of Russell after an unproductive season but he looked good under Rowett at the end of the season and he's at his best on the right linking up with a striker.

Add to that the likelihood of Thorne and Johnson doing the dirty work in midfield to accommodate this, I think if Rowett doesn't follow this plan he should be sacked and I should be made manager.

Not having Martin was huge. Okay, the previous season he was at the club, he didn't score the same rate of goals that we came accustom, but he set up more chances from open play than any other player in the division. We took him out and replaced him, mostly, with players who need chances created for them. 

It's quite ironic that Vydra probably would have had a much different season had Martin remained a Derby player. He still might. 

My worry, as proved to be the case with Pearson, is that he doesn't 'do the job' Rowett wants him to. If you get Martin to run the channels and chase down defenders, you ultimately distract him from doing what he's very good at. He needs to be built round, he needs the freedom to play his own game. He's not a player that wins everything in the air, but he's the best in the division at getting the ball under control in the opposition's final third and finding an out-ball. Forsyth was always good at finding Martin quickly, whilst Bryson was always good at being close enough to pick off the opportunities as and when they came about. It's just debatable if we can strike that same balance and continuity after so long. 

Archived