Lack of Goals

DCFC1388

On 2017-6-26 at 20:13, Leicester Ram said:

I think a Martin/Vydra partnership in a 4-2-3-1 is the key to us scoring goals next season. They've both got decent link up play and Martin is at his absolute best when he's got someone playing close to him. Similarly, Vydra 

If you have Vydra's role be all about doing what Bryson was doing in 13/14, running past Martin and playing one two's, I think they'll both rack up the goals. I think they can both play in either the ST or AM role that gives some nice fluidity and versatility. That allows Vydra to play on the shoulder at times and also allows Martin to drop into midfield without leaving us with no one up top.

Overload down the left wing with Fozzy/Lowe and whoever's playing LW, create a crossing threat down there. Hopefully having Martin and Vydra in there will give us more options in the box than ever.

Not a clue if we'll keep Ince but if we do I'd say give him freedom on the right wing. Let Wisdom focus on defending and give Ince space to just do his own thing cutting in on his left foot. Doesn't mean we're entirely reliant on Ince but still gives him the environment to thrive. If Ince leaves, move Russell over to the left wing and have him linking up with Martin. I know a lot of people are critical of Russell after an unproductive season but he looked good under Rowett at the end of the season and he's at his best on the right linking up with a striker.

Add to that the likelihood of Thorne and Johnson doing the dirty work in midfield to accommodate this, I think if Rowett doesn't follow this plan he should be sacked and I should be made manager.

I agree with a lot of you have said but I think going with a forward line like that and having Johnson pair Thorne in midfield puts a lot of stress on Thorne to control the midfield. I fear we'd up with a situation not dissimilar to what was happening towards the back end of Clements reign were teams would man mark Thorne but leave Johnson free, so the ball goes to Johnson then the opposition press resulting in Johnson losing the ball.

If the plan is to play Martin and Vydra, with them rotating who drops in the hole, I think you have to acknowledge that neither are actually attacking midfielders so you have to be aware that the emphasis will be on the 2 "defensive" midfielders to control the middle of the park. In order to do this I feel like you want to pair Thorne with somebody who is athletic (to cover ground whilst Thorne sits) but is still technically sound and reliable on the ball. Preferably I'd also want that player to be able to carry the ball up the pitch if need be so we can gain ground that way. 

I think it's also potentially worthwhile buying somebody who can play as a 'wide playmaker' for the left, somebody who can cut inside and help nit the play together if required. This would also provide room for Forsyth to make his surging overlapping runs.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, brady1993 said:

I agree with a lot of you have said but I think going with a forward line like that and having Johnson pair Thorne in midfield puts a lot of stress on Thorne to control the midfield. I fear we'd up with a situation not dissimilar to what was happening towards the back end of Clements reign were teams would man mark Thorne but leave Johnson free, so the ball goes to Johnson then the opposition press resulting in Johnson losing the ball.

If the plan is to play Martin and Vydra, with them rotating who drops in the hole, I think you have to acknowledge that neither are actually attacking midfielders so you have to be aware that the emphasis will be on the 2 "defensive" midfielders to control the middle of the park. In order to do this I feel like you want to pair Thorne with somebody who is athletic (to cover ground whilst Thorne sits) but is still technically sound and reliable on the ball. Preferably I'd also want that player to be able to carry the ball up the pitch if need be so we can gain ground that way. 

I think it's also potentially worthwhile buying somebody who can play as a 'wide playmaker' for the left, somebody who can cut inside and help nit the play together if required. This would also provide room for Forsyth to make his surging overlapping runs.

Yeah, I agree, I've been saying for a bit I'd like us to bring in someone like Ryan Woods from Brentford. Energetic but tidy on the ball.

I think Johnson can get away with it if we've got players like Thorne, Davies and Keogh around him who are all comfortable on the ball. I'm just trying to work with the players we've got currently.

Definitely agree with the wide left player. Weimann isn't a wide player and Anya is better off wide right stretching the pitch. I like Ryan Kent from Liverpool who was on loan at Barnsley last year. Fantastic dribbler.

8 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Yeah, I agree, I've been saying for a bit I'd like us to bring in someone like Ryan Woods from Brentford. Energetic but tidy on the ball.

I think Johnson can get away with it if we've got players like Thorne, Davies and Keogh around him who are all comfortable on the ball. I'm just trying to work with the players we've got currently.

Definitely agree with the wide left player. Weimann isn't a wide player and Anya is better off wide right stretching the pitch. I like Ryan Kent from Liverpool who was on loan at Barnsley last year. Fantastic dribbler.

Ryan Woods would be perfect to partner Thorne as a 2. If Rowett does want someone more physical in there beside Thorne I'd probably try to pick up Irvine from Burton. From what I've seen of him he can do everything Johnson does but is reliable in possession, a bit more mobile and 24 has potential to grow as a player.

Maybe your right about we could get away with Johnson there, I just have a nagging feeling it will cause problems and I'd be dissapointed if he was first choice.

Haven't seen a deal of Kent if I'm honest, will have to take your word on that one.

On 2017-6-26 at 16:49, cheron85 said:

I'm worried that our lack of goals over the closed season will be a problem in the long term - Where are the pics of Vydra scoring a screamer from 10 yards on the beach? Where are the videos of Bent heading a belter past his kid in the garden?

At least we know Martin is still providing 'assists' and Christie can chip in with the odd goal

Vydras first day last year saw DCFC post up a video of a marvellous overhead kick goal, I kind of hope we'll see nothing to whet the appetite as much this year, if that's a portent of what's to come.

I hope Butterfield goes back to being a goal threat next season because he can easily score 8-10 goals in a good season as could Johnson.

Maybe a fit Thorne will help this happen.

Our Midfield was not forward thinking enough for me and both Johnson and Butterfield need to get forward more.

With Martin,Nugent,Vydra and hopefully Ince  ahead of them i would hope to see  quite a few goals between them

Archived