Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

PistoldPete2
35 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

That would be Premier league Watford would it. Somewhere we haven't managed to get into for 10 years even WITH will Hughes.

Well yes and that's embarrassing too. 

We haven't had will hughes in the first team for 10 years but in the last 5 years we have at least challenged and with better players around him we would have gone up. 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Highgate said:

I despair.

Fully understand that Derby fans are upset about losing a real good footballer.

However he has stated in his farewell to the fans that he felt it time to move on.

Plus to give the arguments on his fee some balance, Leicester paid 6m for Kante, 1m for Vardy, 400,000 for mahrez.

Spurs only paid £3.5m for Dele Alli and with the very best will, Hughes isn't and won't ever be as talented.

So a fee of £9m for a player who has scored 12 goals in nearly 190 matches and never played any form of top flight football and with a 15% sell on clause seems to be realistic business.

Plus....and I do qualify this with a few "if's"..if Thorne is fit and if he plays up to form we have at our club a better replacement ready to go.

The best of luck to Will Hughes and if/when he plays at pride park again for whatever club he's playing for I will stand and applaud him for his efforts as a RAM.

However he's gone so we look forward not back.

Derby county forever. 

8 minutes ago, cannable said:

I don't get what's funny.

It's not an overreaction. What he's saying perfectly sensible.

About a manager who has inherited this team, you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Judge him at the end of the season when he's had a few windows to get out the players he doesn't want and get the ones he wants in.

Saying "iv'e lost all faith in him" is down right ridiculous and proves my post a few pages back.

The thing is guy's we will have to wait and see if this is an inspired piece of management [aka Jim Smith] or a disaster [aka  Tommy Doc.].Only time will tell but at moment there seems little difference between GR and NP except we are cutting  GR a more slack as an ex ram .

If it starts badly the manager merry go round starts again around Oct /Nov time. It does look like both GR and NP have made the same decision to change the personnel but NP has a better track record than GR along with greater experience.Toss up who's committed the worse deal GR with Will or NP with CM.

3 minutes ago, feisty said:

In a 4-3-3 he should play in the central 3 on the left hand side. Slightly advanced of the defensive midfielder.  That's been his position for most of the last 3 years.  In that position he has delivered outstanding perfomrances for Derby, retaining possession and helping our build up play. Just because he doesn't deliver the final "assist" doesn't mean he hasn't been involved in the build-up beforehand. 

He has delivered for Derby. Our failures have not been down to him.

Not enough goals and not enough chances created for an advanced midfielder. Retaining possession is passing from A to B? yes? Butterfield does that without breaking sweat.

3 minutes ago, DazzaRam said:

Instead of saying "i despair"...how about telling us all about why Will Hughes should be here and where he should play. Dont forget to make excuses for him on why he has not delivered for Derby. Shown potential yes...but delivered no.

I despair because there is clearly a vast gulf between us in terms of what constitutes good or effective football. Will has been terrific for us, particularly before his injury (last season was difficult for him) and likely would be again had we kept him. He is technically superb, has a good work ethic, can pick out a pass and has terrific awareness of what is around him.  He can easily operate in the centre of midfield or attacking midfielder, depending on the formation being played, although preferably not as the holding midfielder. He maintains possession well and is the base and creative spark for many attacks and works hard to get the ball back when the opposition is in possession.

I find your view than genuine footballing talent is ineffective and disposable in a Derby County shirt deeply dispiriting but I fear Gary Rowett shares your opinion in this regard.

Thanks for some good memories Will.

Good move for him in my opinion. Should get first team football and the chance to find if he can cut it with the big boys.

Hopefully will be a stepping stone to bigger and better things for him.

Not sure why the fuss about the fee, after all everyone is sick of us spending big money so surely they would not want it re-investing anyway?

7 minutes ago, DazzaRam said:

Not enough goals and not enough chances created for an advanced midfielder. Retaining possession is passing from A to B? yes? Butterfield does that without breaking sweat.

Football is a team game and a lot more about a bunch of stats. And I say that as someone who is quite stats obsessed myself. Great football teams "flow". Will Hughes has been the fulcrum of most of Derby's "flow"

There you go, that's my version of "The Derby Way"  I suppose

3 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

About a manager who has inherited this team, you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Judge him at the end of the season when he's had a few windows to get out the players he doesn't want and get the ones he wants in.

Saying "iv'e lost all faith in him" is down right ridiculous and proves my post a few pages back.

The players he doesn't want like who? Ince? Keogh? And replace them with what? Shotton? Donaldson? I don't want to watch a poor mans Stoke City grinding out results while draining the life out of me, and to be honest that's where I think this is heading. 

4 minutes ago, Highgate said:

I despair because there is clearly a vast gulf between us in terms of what constitutes good or effective football. Will has been terrific for us, particularly before his injury (last season was difficult for him) and likely would be again had we kept him. He is technically superb, has a good work ethic, can pick out a pass and has terrific awareness of what is around him.  He can easily operate in the centre of midfield or attacking midfielder, depending on the formation being played, although preferably not as the holding midfielder. He maintains possession well and is the base and creative spark for many attacks and works hard to get the ball back when the opposition is in possession.

I find your view than genuine footballing talent is ineffective and disposable in a Derby County shirt deeply dispiriting but I fear Gary Rowett shares your opinion in this regard.

Hes played all them roles at Derby. Dont disagree on his talents but he has not done it often enough. Getting to the stage of a luxury player without the assists or goals. We need more if we are gonna get out this league than what Will Hughes was giving us. Time for him and Derby to part ways. Nicey football does not get you out this league.

4 minutes ago, feisty said:

Football is a team game and a lot more about a bunch of stats. And I say that as someone who is quite stats obsessed myself. Great football teams "flow". Will Hughes has been the fulcrum of most of Derby's "flow"

There you go, that's my version of "The Derby Way"  I suppose

Derby's flow needs to go towards Premier League. Decisions are made.

Said earlier in this and other threads that I'm disappointed that I won't get to watch Will play again. Sitting high up in the West Stand you get to see the whole pitch and appreciate how Will moves the opposition around creating space for others. I'll miss watching this.

We'll move on and hopefully use the money to improve the squad. I also hope Will reaches his potential and I'll enjoy saying I knew he would do well.

My disappointment is how poor we've been in the last 3 or 4 seasons.

Cheers Will, thanks for the memories ?

4 minutes ago, DazzaRam said:

Hes played all them roles at Derby. Dont disagree on his talents but he has not done it often enough. Getting to the stage of a luxury player without the assists or goals. We need more if we are gonna get out this league than what Will Hughes was giving us. Time for him and Derby to part ways. Nicey football does not get you out this league.

Let's look at a few teams who played "nicey football" who got out of this league: Swansea, Bournemouth, Palace with Zaha in that season, Brighton this year, WBA under Mowbray, Newcastle this year?

Now there's plenty of teams that played powerful football instead and got promoted. But not true that good football doesn;t get you promoted

43 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

You didn't say if we stayed ahead of them at all, think you need to re-read what you put. We were also ahead of boro, hudders and brighton that season, all of which have/will enjoy prem football. Arguing over if's is ridiculous, if we'd have beaten qpr we would have gone up.

The world doesn't work on if's, we are where we are because we have not been good enough to be where watford are.

It doesn't. I still find it pathetic to lose a star to Watford. That's my opinion. 

32 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Ollie Burke is a far more attacking player and they generally go for more money. Also RB Leipzig really splash the cash. 

Spot on with Johnson and Anya. Paid over the odds. Mel is now hoping Rowett will sort the mess.

Agree they do and leipzig certainly have done but everyone knows what Will has got in his locker and has what? some 5-6 seasons of champship football under his belt already... im just disapointed tis all

as people have said though its happend, we move on and ultimately i do trust rowetts judgement.... well theres no going back now is there lol

44 minutes ago, Jayram said:

This is the straw that breaks the camels back for me. I have no faith in Rowett; I was at Brentford on Good Friday when the team he put out got outclassed by the mighty Brentford and since then I've had my reservations. This transfer confirms to me that he's just another lower league 'meat & potatoes' manager who values work rate over creativity, quality or class. Absolutely disgusted with DCFC over this.

Strange choice of game. I was there. In his time on the pitch, Will was horrendous.

Archived