Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the gap between Mel Morris the fantasy and Mel Morris the reality gets ever wider.

All the talk of building a team built of academy products?

the reality is we are all over the place with no strategy whatsoever.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

the gap between Mel Morris the fantasy and Mel Morris the reality gets ever wider.

All the talk of building a team built of academy products?

the reality is we are all over the place with no strategy whatsoever.

I'm not moaning but when he sacked clement he was talking about a percentage of the squad needs to be home grown players. Think it worked out as 4 or 5. Lowe or Bennett won't get in the squad next season unless we get lots of injuries. These are the only two anyway near the squad not the team. I really don't know what is going off 

I know Will has been a favourite. To be honest he has not found his form since injury. All this lambasting of MM and Gary Rowett is pathetic at this point. I bet you will all be screaming their praises next season if we go up. So give them until Christmas at least. If Will has gone I wish him all the best.

Pure speculation but you'd have to think Hughes wanted a move to the prem and maybe had a gentleman's agreement to be kept informed if bids came in ?

If he fancied the move it's down to those who negotiate to get the best possible deal for Derby County.Suppose then that this deal means outstanding payments on Vydra and Anya are cancelled,and we get the £8 million plus sell ons as John Percy suggests.

Guess work again,but this puts the deal at £12 - 15 million plus the sell ons. This sounds far more plausible and Derby County then get a good deal.

Amazing negativity by some about the sale of Will Hughes. If Rowett thinks its the way forward then the fans need to back him. Nobody knows what the real deal is..and nobody knows what the sale will do for us in regards players coming in. Will is a good player...easy on the eye but what does he excel at? I really think you can only play Will Hughes in a 4-3-3 formation anyway. Time to chill because the whole story is not known yet.

35 minutes ago, mickram said:

Pure speculation but you'd have to think Hughes wanted a move to the prem and maybe had a gentleman's agreement to be kept informed if bids came in ?

If he fancied the move it's down to those who negotiate to get the best possible deal for Derby County.Suppose then that this deal means outstanding payments on Vydra and Anya are cancelled,and we get the £8 million plus sell ons as John Percy suggests.

Guess work again,but this puts the deal at £12 - 15 million plus the sell ons. This sounds far more plausible and Derby County then get a good deal.

Agree, sensible just to wait and see what the deal is and I wouldn't blame Will for wanting a higher stage than we failed to deliver for him; inevitable he would move on at some point if we didn't.

If that's the case and/or Rowett didn't see full use in a new formation, he's right to get the best deal we can. It's just the speculated fee that many will find hard to swallow at present. Jury out for now.

PistoldPete2

Whatever happened to the Derby Way?

selling our most cultured player for next to nowt would kill that one stone dead. 

Two things:

1) Why has it suddenly become gospel that we owe money for Vydra and Anya? One persons suggests it and now everyone parrots it as fact.

2) Why does everyone automatically assume that the replacement will be a 30 year old? Just because we've been linked to Whelan doesn't mean that we won't be linked to anymore players. This deal could pave the way for another target that is younger and more exciting. The Curtis Davies rumour emerged a few hours before he signed, so I would be patient as there's a long way to go until the first game of the season.

6 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Two things:

1) Why has it suddenly become gospel that we owe money for Vydra and Anya? One persons suggests it and now everyone parrots it as fact.

2) Why does everyone automatically assume that the replacement will be a 30 year old? Just because we've been linked to Whelan doesn't mean that we won't be linked to anymore players. This deal could pave the way for another target that is younger and more exciting. The Curtis Davies rumour emerged a few hours before he signed, so I would be patient as there's a long way to go until the first game of the season.

Why wouldn't we owe money for anya and vydra? We only bought them 12 months ago and don't we usually pay in installments?

5 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

Why wouldn't we owe money for anya and vydra? We only bought them 12 months ago and don't we usually pay in installments?

I'm not sure, but this idea has just seems to come out of the blue. Plus, it should make no difference whatsoever as we'll end up with the same amount of money anyway.

2 minutes ago, Rample said:

Rowett quoted in DET today that he wants to bring 2 or 3 more players in but there will have to be outgoings first. Hughes sacrificed to fund a reshuffle then.

If that's the case then so be it, WH has got to move onwards and upwards for his own good. He is begging to stagnate here.

Just hope the fees being suggested are vastly under the real amount because anything less than £10m for me is grossly mis-sold IMHO. 

I'm surprised and confused by those who are using this potential deal as another stick to beat Mel Morris with.

I'm by no means MM's biggest fan. I've been critical of him and feel that he has made many mistakes at Derby, and that most people's opinions are influenced by the fact he's a local man with a shed load of cash.

However, this time, he's being criticised for sanctioning the deal and not vetoing it? The same people probably slated him for going into the changing room at half-time and for appearing in every photo with new signings. But now is it ok to intervene? Morris allowed Martin to leave against his own preferences because he backed Pearson at the time. Rowett is being given full control over the dealings this window. If MM was to step in and stop the deal, then he may as well make himself manager. After all he does pick the team, right?

If Hughes leaves for the reported fee then I'll be disappointed, but the world is still going to carry on spinning and Derby County Football Club will continue playing matches. We don't know what the team will look like come the end of the window, but who's to say we won't be a more rounded, complete team? Hughes is a good player but what overall impact has he made on our promotion push? He's a bit of a luxury player in the sense that he's definitely good enough to play PL football, however I don't think he would be the difference between us making it there or not. I'd rather keep Ince than Hughes if I had to choose one.

Ultimateky we're still going to be left with a strong midfield on paper. Thorne-Johnson-Butterfield has a good balance and a bit of everything. I don't think we would earn an awful lot of extra points with Hughes instead of one of those three.

It's the 22nd June. We have over six weeks until our first game. Over 2 months until the window closes. Plenty of time for us to reshape to build a better team rather than a group of good individuals. Don't panic too much just yet.

Most transfer deals are paid in installments, it's not like fifa. However I don't think selling Hughes is a case of needing money, Rowett spoke about a better balance and a need to freshen it up. Will struggled to get in the team towards the end of the season anyway, probably an early indication.. same with Christie. Let's see who Gary brings in as his other 2/3 before we start going mental. The two signings his made so far are excellent. I'm looking forward to a different looking derby side tbh

Archived