Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

2 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Football is a team game. If you're relying on players to win you games on their own, it means you've screwed up the rest of your game.  And Hughes won player of the year in 2014/2015.

Apologies, didn't realise he won that.

But there is more to the team than Will Hughes. I just don't think he's particularly effective.

Give me a goal that causes the crowd to erupt over a nice little backheel any day.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No way we will sell Hughes for 4 million rising to 8, our chairman isn't that stupid, our manager (who I have much faith in), isn't that stupid! 

If we sell Hughes for 4 million, rising to 8, I would want both Mel and Rowett on the market place explaining to the fans why they thought such a cluster f"ck of an idea was in the best interests of the club.

Martin to Fulham was a ridiculous bit of business, saved only by the fact we were able to rip up the loan deal at the end of it.

If we sent Hughes on loan for a season to the Prem I would expect the loan fee to be a good couple of million...4 million for a permanent deal would be criminal.

No way will our manager and chairman sanction such a pathetic, idiotic, shambolic, hyperbolic and catastrophic transfer.

If they do...idiots! 

Selling players that potentially/definitely will reach their expected potential and make us a force to be reckoned with. Yes its not happend yet but if we keep our players that nearly got us to the premiership a few years ago and add a few new faces we'll 100% get promoted this year!

only joking obviously. Let change happen and bring the expectation down a level or two. Hughes isnt a world beater and he isnt worth a trillion pounds. Calmmm dowwwnnn.

Im sure the money will be reinvested well. Goodbye william, we'll give you a round of applause when we play against you.

Bit disapointed with the fee but how much do we need hughes? If thorne is back fit & we keep ince (rather keep ince over hughes) and johnson & butters play how we know they can then we'll be reet

championship is a bit of a slog & hughes is a tidy player but a luxury at this level

if Hughes goes & wisdom & davies are our only incomings (which i doubt) and a fit thorne then we'll be stronger than last season 

22 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

After every poor result, you hear fans say "get rid of these bottle jobs". The question is, who are they? We have absolutely no idea whether Hughes has a better mentality than Butterfield/Johnson, etc. They also say we need to "trust in Rowett"; well isn't that exactly the opposite of what we're doing at the minute.

I am disappointed by the fee, especially when you consider he's basically being swapped for Vydra. However, if Jacob Butterfield had put in the performances that Hughes has put in for the last two years, we would be laughing at how much we'd got for him. I don't particularly love Butterfield, but he carried us at time last season and if it were Hughes that had been playing like that, we would have been fawning all over him. Who's been more important this season, Tom Ince or Will Hughes?

Ultimately, I do think he's overrated by our fans. Yes, he's a nice footballer but he's not a player to win you games on your own, and if he was so great, how come he never comes close to winning Player of the Season? I really thought he was kicking on last season when he put some brilliant performances after he came back from injury, but ultimately he's disappointed and is largely the same player as he was at the age of 16. I would still be delighted if he stayed, but more for sentimental reasons than cold hard logic.

I do think he'll flourish if used correctly in the Prem, and I would wish him all the best as one of our own. Good luck Will, go and make a name for yourself.

This is absolutely spot on. 

22 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

After every poor result, you hear fans say "get rid of these bottle jobs". The question is, who are they? We have absolutely no idea whether Hughes has a better mentality than Butterfield/Johnson, etc. They also say we need to "trust in Rowett"; well isn't that exactly the opposite of what we're doing at the minute.

I am disappointed by the fee, especially when you consider he's basically being swapped for Vydra. However, if Jacob Butterfield had put in the performances that Hughes has put in for the last two years, we would be laughing at how much we'd got for him. I don't particularly love Butterfield, but he carried us at time last season and if it were Hughes that had been playing like that, we would have been fawning all over him. Who's been more important this season, Tom Ince or Will Hughes?

Ultimately, I do think he's overrated by our fans. Yes, he's a nice footballer but he's not a player to win you games on your own, and if he was so great, how come he never comes close to winning Player of the Season? I really thought he was kicking on last season when he put some brilliant performances after he came back from injury, but ultimately he's disappointed and is largely the same player as he was at the age of 16. I would still be delighted if he stayed, but more for sentimental reasons than cold hard logic.

I do think he'll flourish if used correctly in the Prem, and I would wish him all the best as one of our own. Good luck Will, go and make a name for yourself.

Cracking post. Very fair. 

We look like losing one of our own. He's dazzled us at times. I will miss him. 

Time for new heroes.

Would have liked more than 8 million, but i said months ago Will needs to move into a higher league with better players around him to let him improve.

I do believe he will become a better player in the prem.

49 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

This is so true.

Spent the last hours reading this topic.. both sides are right in their way...

Still imo at that point we need to go on and so does Will. But still - 4m would be a shame. I'd be fine with 8m plus 4m though.. 

I've confidence and faith in Mel and GR to handle this whole situation in the best  possible way for Derby County Football Club. Nothing else matters..

1 minute ago, GermanRam said:

I've confidence and faith in Mel and GR to handle this whole situation in the best  possible way for Derby County Football Club.

I think the biggest concern running through this thread is that folks feel shafted and not even by the big-boys. The sale of Hughes (one of our bright boys) was perhaps inevitable one day and maybe now I've gotten over the shock, it could be today.

For me - I have worked quite closely for and to another billionaire (not in football) - admittedly 15 years ago or so but  he was so tight with money that I find the reported figures for any sale to be incomprehensibly low; (he would've sold almost genuinely his own grandmother for more - that's how you normally make so much money) so it makes  makes me wonder whether some previous  shrewd shenanigans have gone on at contract negotiation time that has tied this sale so low.

Or perhaps simply it is mischievous reporting.

It's of course all postulation and we'll perhaps never ever know but I am beginning to totally lose confidence, once more, if the sale price is correct, in what is going on at our club at senior level and what's worse is that I doubt we will get any genuine answers.

27 minutes ago, GermanRam said:

I've confidence and faith in Mel and GR to handle this whole situation in the best  possible way for Derby County Football Club. Nothing else matters..

Why are you so confident? Hopefully he'll become a great custodian of our club, but he ain't done nothin yet to inspire anyone

Archived