Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

17 minutes ago, thekingofbuxton said:

I hope this is the start of a clear out of players who have less ability/potential than Hughes, we've got a few who won't get us up still knocking about. 

All about opinions but Hughes, for me, was one of the players holding us back. He has too many limitations and £8M is fantastic value which I'm sure Rowett will invest wisely in moving us forward....finally.

Beginning to feel very optimistic:-))

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Pearson said:

All about opinions but Hughes, for me, was one of the players holding us back. He has too many limitations and £8M is fantastic value which I'm sure Rowett will invest wisely in moving us forward....finally.

God knows what you think of Bradley "can't pass to save his life" Johnson

4 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Sell Will Hughes - a home-grown CM with fantastic technique, range of passing & vision

Keep Bradley Johnson -  'Premiership experience' (i.e. not good enough at that level) with a first touch so bad, his second touch is invariably a tackle

Brilliant.

I must confess I am a Bradley Johnson fan, but this post made me chuckle ??

Have yourself a like my friend. ??

Just now, Pearson said:

Beginning to fell very optimistic:-))

The players holding us back are the the disgruntled ambition-less contingent of senior squad players who never know if they will start a game. It's a bloat of mediocrity factor. He's not a part of the problem. 

PistoldPete2
1 minute ago, Pearson said:

Well with a name like Pearson you are obviously a very good judge and happy if we exchange hughes for vydra and Anya plus a £5 million hole in Mel Morris pocket.

if we sell hughes for the figure being quoted that will be three times in a year that Watford has bummed us over. Why doesn't mel just bend over, part his bum cheeks and make the job easier for Watford. 

Just now, Ninos said:

The players holding us back are the the disgruntled ambition-less contingent of senior squad players who never know if they will start a game. It's a bloat of mediocrity factor. He's not a part of the problem. 

And by the sounds of it, we signing more of these guys, Paul Jewell days all over again.

23 minutes ago, sage said:

His last 2 seasons, for various reasons have been his worst for Derby. If he had progressed even modestly from 2014/15 we would have got double that money. £8m isn't as much as his potential suggests it should be but it's more than the end result we have received in terms of performance in the last 2 seasons.

I don't think many people will disagree with that. My main problem with the deal is that we're getting probably a fair fee based on his poor previous season but him still having a lot of potential. However, when we're trying to sign someone we won't usually pay a fair fee, we'll end up paying way over the odds. I mean, we're literally selling him to a team who we paid way over the odds for one of their players. People say Hughes doesn't score enough from midfield, well we bloody spent £8 million on a striker who scored 3 in this league the season before joining us and who wouldn't have made Watford's bench. Why do we keep agreeing to pay these stupid prices but then are happy to let ours go for about their market value?

1 minute ago, Cam the Ram said:

I don't think many people will disagree with that. My main problem with the deal is that we're getting probably a fair fee based on his poor previous season but him still having a lot of potential. However, when we're trying to sign someone we won't usually pay a fair fee, we'll end up paying way over the odds. I mean, we're literally selling him to a team who we paid way over the odds for one of their players. People say Hughes doesn't score enough from midfield, well we bloody spent £8 million on a striker who scored 3 in this league the season before joining us and who wouldn't have made Watford's bench. Why do we keep agreeing to pay these stupid prices but then are happy to let ours go for about their market value?

It's almost like someone in a prominent position wasn't acting in the best interests of the club:whistle:

Is it possible to read 89 pages and agree with both sides? Feel absolutely torn about this. I think Will has the ability to shine in the Prem and I think he wanted it to be with us much as we wanted it to be with him.

However we aren't there yet, he got clogged to bits last year most games (ironically including by a Prem club) and maybe this is the inevitable result.

Weren't we told at the Fans Forum that we weren't going to like some of the transfer business this summer? 

I trust the club to get the best financial deal they can in the circumstances and these things are seldom just about the transfer fee. 

It pains me to see Will sat on the bench for the Under 21s when if he was already at a Prem club he would probably be running the show. I don't know how long we can expect him to wait for us, so I just wish him well in whatever happens and hope it works out for both of us.

2 minutes ago, CumbrianRam said:

And by the sounds of it, we signing more of these guys, Paul Jewell days all over again.

I don't know if that's fair. We have signed a still young player who was great and hard working first time round and a good, experienced cb for peanuts.

We have been linked with Whelan and Lesley, but there's no clear idea if they're actually what we propose to use the Hughes money for. They may be an effort to force other players out, like Johnson or Butterfield. We've not even fielded a pre season side yet.

I think don't want Hughes to leave, especially for 8m, but I'm not going to rush to judgment until the season starts and we see who is playing and how they're doing. 

1 minute ago, CornwallRam said:

It's almost like someone in a prominent position wasn't acting in the best interests of the club:whistle:

Just now, MACKWORTHRAM said:

We paid over the odds because of a certain ex CEO who would get a percentage of the transfer fee in his back pocket. 

Hence why he's been sacked. 

We have someone in a prominent position now in Mel who, as a fan just like us, can see Hughes should bring in much more than £8 million. I'm not saying he should interfere and go against the manager's wishes, but it's the 21st of June, at least try and get a bit of a bidding war going for him, not just flog him to one of the first clubs who come calling. There's probably going to be teams who miss out on midfield targets or lose their own players who'd happily come in for Hughes.

19 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Sell Will Hughes - a home-grown CM with fantastic technique, range of passing & vision

Keep Bradley Johnson -  'Premiership experience' (i.e. not good enough at that level) with a first touch so bad, his second touch is invariably a tackle

Brilliant.

The same Bradley Johnson that scored 15 goals helping Norwich get promoted from this division?

Brilliant.

2 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

We have someone in a prominent position now in Mel who, as a fan just like us, can see Hughes should bring in much more than £8 million. I'm not saying he should interfere and go against the manager's wishes, but it's the 21st of June, at least try and get a bit of a bidding war going for him, not just flog him to one of the first clubs who come calling. There's probably going to be teams who miss out on midfield targets or lose their own players who'd happily come in for Hughes.

I get that. Or on the other hand you run the risk of Watford going elsewhere and nobody else coming in for Hughes. 

By the sound of Owen Bradleys tweets earlier we've hardly been fighting them off with a stick. 

1 minute ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I get that. Or on the other hand you run the risk of Watford going elsewhere and nobody else coming in for Hughes. 

By the sound of Owen Bradleys tweets earlier we've hardly been fighting them off with a stick. 

So we sell to the first bidder, great.

Archived