Baseball Ground memories 20 years on from last game

Curtains

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I missed out on the glory days - I started going as a kid in the early 80s - so my best BBG memory is definitely the Palace game to get promoted to the Prem.  What an atmosphere, never felt anything like it since!  Still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up to think about it.

When I first came to Derby I lived on Shaftesbury Crescent near the Directors Entrance. The crowd crush on matchdays was horrendous and the Landlady was always worried about the windows. Many years later I did a BBG tour before the demolishion. Couldn't believe how pathetic it all was with Formica tables tiny showers etc. Sat in Sam Lonsons seat with his own personal heater 2 inches from his legs. I actually bought one of those tiny bits of BBG turf and if I remember planted in my lawn in Findern.

Strangest thing was that to do the tour I actually parked exactly where the old front room had been, the houses having long gone. Spooky!

I took my eldest lad and a video camera  and I have a few memories of that last game at the BBG on DVD. One day I might edit it into something watchable its only been 20 years lol.

My first ever Derby match was the last league match at the Baseball ground. My Dad and Grandfather both took me, it was the only time all three generations in our family managed to get to the same match. I guess I don't have the same level of attachment as a result but I am glad I got to go at least once, even if I was only 8!

Cant believe its 20 years today. 

went to that last game as a 12 year old, face painted

i was fortunate to get probably 5 or 6 seasons in at the BBG, my grandparents used to pick me up, always parking near the chip shop at the key club end, she'd always bring some bread and butter and we'd have chips and read the programme in the car then walk to the ground

id either sit in the main stand with my grandparents, not sure why but i had a few games behind the goal in the key club, and the last season i had a season ticket front row of the toyota

my dad didnt go that often but he took me to the 3-3 fa cup v sheff wed in the ossie end and the atmosphere was unbelievable

reading other peoples memories always gets the goosebumps going

8 minutes ago, DerbyRevolution said:

Cant believe its 20 years today. 

went to that last game as a 12 year old, face painted

i was fortunate to get probably 5 or 6 seasons in at the BBG, my grandparents used to pick me up, always parking near the chip shop at the key club end, she'd always bring some bread and butter and we'd have chips and read the programme in the car then walk to the ground

id either sit in the main stand with my grandparents, not sure why but i had a few games behind the goal in the key club, and the last season i had a season ticket front row of the toyota

my dad didnt go that often but he took me to the 3-3 fa cup v sheff wed in the ossie end and the atmosphere was unbelievable

reading other peoples memories always gets the goosebumps going

Good game this I remember it well I was in Ossie Upper with my son  

I was mascot on my 9th birthday against Chelsea in the final season at the BBG - we won 3-2, Ashley Ward with a last minute winner.

Rumours at the time that Zola refused to play due to the pitch being like a beach! Rowett played that game too.

Will always remember that the only player to come over to me and the other mascot for a kickabout was Dennis Wise, huge respect for that.

A few years later I played a cup final there, lost 4-2 though! :(

All my best memories came from the last season. The 3-3 against Leeds first game in the prem was special, the cup wins against Villa and Cov (especially the latter, magic cup night last minute sturridge winner), Laursen's free kick against United, Igor taunting Cantona by tapping him on his shaved head. Then you had the midweek game v Wednesday, the BBG pitch at its finest, a quagmire down the middle, everyone played round it except Igor who tried to dribble through the middle of it, lost the ball and we nearly conceded.

But my best memories were watching Asanovic for those first 6 months. Top Class, as Joe Royle said in the build up to the Everton game at the BBG, "he can kill you with a pass"!

Still my favourite season as a Derby fan 20 years on, and it will take us to win something to beat it for me.

Scanned a few images in from the Raymonds book 'Images of Derby County'

Wwh88sX.jpg

nXHncdp.jpg

DE4TnQ9.jpg

to0mJC6.jpg

The BBG was awesome, I missed the glory years but even in the 3rd in the 80's it was a brilliant experience, full of character and some brilliant memories.

Cool as custard.

I seem to remember my brother did a bit of a scrap book for the final game,and also continued it to show the building phases of PPS. I might have to upload some pictures  (if i can find it) next time Im back home. I also seem to remember taking some photos of the last ever reserve game to be played at baseball ground, which i think was the last football match of any kind to take place there.

On 11/05/2017 at 11:14, DerbyRevolution said:

graham richards commentary 

And some people still say Graham Richards was a poor commentator.

Memories of a the BBG? A 36 year old bloke openly weeping as the last post was played at the final match.  (It was me)

Archived