Too many number 10s

duncanjwitham

8 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

In our current system, somewhere between the midfield and the lone striker - historically it'd be the little of little and large combination.

Think we have lots that fit the first group - Butterfield, Hughes, Johnson, Bryson, Ince - but few for the second - Vydra, Russell.

Baiano and Wanchope:whistle:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PistoldPete2

There is only one number 10 and its up for grabs at the moment but word is that Theresa May is favourite for that job.

otherwise number 10 for me is an inside forward and actually I don't think we have any of those... NuGent, bent and martin are all number 9s, ince is a winger admittedly one who cuts inside, russell is a winger, weimann maybe a number 10 but he's at Wolves right now  , Blackman hard to say isn't it, but maybe also a number 9, and anyway he's injured now.

and then vydra... Not really a number 10 in my book more playing " in the hole". 

Then camara , no idea what he is except a waste of money. And anya who is hard to define but certainly not a number 10.

PistoldPete2
9 hours ago, curtains said:

Kevin Hector 

Agree with this.. And he's the best of the lot. 

More recently maybe dean Saunders ,, perhaps pesch. I can't think of any more recent than that... Maybe kris commons? As I've said in another post I don't think we have any classic number 10s at the moment, and actually that's what we are missing, not something we have too many of. 

7 hours ago, jagerbob said:

In answer to why Rowett and Rame a think we have too many:

Consider that :

1)  We dont have any out and out wingers except perhaps Anya. The rest when playing wide forward roles would rather play inside.

2) We dont have any sitting central midfielders who are happy to play, and naturals to play central midfield in a 442 (except an injured george thorne)

A lot of truth in that although I'd say Hughes could easily play a sitting midfielder role. You're dead right on the wings though. Anya is the only byeline player we have all the others are wrong footed cutters in. We need to find the best number 10 / striker combo because it is only then that the midfielders dare to come up the park and control a game

I wonder if GR is going back to his playing days at Derby and thinking of Ron Willems. A very intelligent player, not blessed with great pace but very good on the ball, very good passer, very good linking play and bringing quicker players - Gabbiadini/Sturridge - into the game. And a good scorer at this level (10ish goals in our promotion season).

He played in the PL but wasn't really good enough for the step up, but he was more than good enough at Championship level

Chris Martin would have those attributes and some more - CM is more aggressive than Ron ever was for example

9 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

I wonder if GR is going back to his playing days at Derby and thinking of Ron Willems. A very intelligent player, not blessed with great pace but very good on the ball, very good passer, very good linking play and bringing quicker players - Gabbiadini/Sturridge - into the game. And a good scorer at this level (10ish goals in our promotion season).

He played in the PL but wasn't really good enough for the step up, but he was more than good enough at Championship level

Chris Martin would have those attributes and some more - CM is more aggressive than Ron ever was for example

So perhaps Martin in that Willems role with nuge , vydra or bent in front anja on the left and ince out for a big fee and a proper byline pacey right winger in to give width and stop us getting congested through the middle and predictable?

10 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

My dad said the exact thing as this! I used to love Willems, what ever happened to him?

22 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

My dad said the exact thing as this! I used to love Willems, what ever happened to him?

I don't think that he's in football any more. I seem to recall reports of him being in a psychiatric hospital/clinic at one stage, about a couple of years ago, but more than that I don't know.

12 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

I don't think that he's in football any more. I seem to recall reports of him being in a psychiatric hospital/clinic at one stage, about a couple of years ago, but more than that I don't know.

found this thread which has a report on the general gist. Hope he is still going good!

2 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

You're not the first to point that out, and you probably won't be the last. :whistle:

I'm sure we had a whole thread dedicated to this a couple of years back. Despite that, the answer is still "yes". And as a result, ol Dunc's my favourite poster :)

5 hours ago, AutoWindscreens said:

Does anyone else see 'duncanjwitham' and read it as 'Duncan With Jam'?

NO ,,,,,,,,, what's the matter with you you doughnut 

I thought a number 10 was somebody who often takes up space behind the opposition midfield and in front of the opposition defence. 

We don't have "too many". We don't really have any.

Vydra's best spell in his career came from playing on the shoulder of the last defender

Bent the same

Ince's best has come on the wing at two clubs

Russell, on the wing for Derby

Anya, on the wing for Watford

Nugent, plays all along the front line and takes up so many different positions. But essentially he's always looked to play on the last man. Quite often a fullback. Suppose you can count him just to make it seem Ramage has a clue

Er..

Martin, very much so. Then he goes to support when the ball has gone past him. He looks to drop in more than he looks to push on the backline.

Blackman? Winger

Weimann? Dunno. 

So as usual Craig Ramage is talking complete nonsense. It's what Craig Ramage does best. 

31 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I thought a number 10 was somebody who often takes up space behind the opposition midfield and in front of the opposition defence. 

We don't have "too many". We don't really have any.

Vydra's best spell in his career came from playing on the shoulder of the last defender

Bent the same

Ince's best has come on the wing at two clubs

Russell, on the wing for Derby

Anya, on the wing for Watford

Nugent, plays all along the front line and takes up so many different positions. But essentially he's always looked to play on the last man. Quite often a fullback. Suppose you can count him just to make it seem Ramage has a clue

Er..

Martin, very much so. Then he goes to support when the ball has gone past him. He looks to drop in more than he looks to push on the backline.

Blackman? Winger

Weimann? Dunno. 

So as usual Craig Ramage is talking complete nonsense. It's what Craig Ramage does best. 

In fairness, it was Rowett who offered up the opinion that we had five number 10's, I'm fairly sure.

Archived