Too many number 10s

duncanjwitham

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have a number of players who can play number 10 but aren't actually out an out number 10s. The ones who can play there are: Vydra, Hughes, Ince, Butterfield, Nugent

You can even add Bryson and Russell to that list as they have both played there previously. 

Ideally you would want your number 10 to be creative but at the same time can score. Someone like Jota or Alex Pritchard are probably the best examples of number 10s in this division( yes I know that both prefer playing at left midfield)

Best not to think about it. There's no one type of #10 or any position for that matter. 

In a big-man pacey little-man partnership the little man would be the #10. That same little-man would become the #9 if you got rid of the target-man and replaced him with a creative in the hole player. 

And why are some #10s seen as midfielders and others strikers? Why was Bergkamp a striker but Ozil a midfielder? What is Martin if he plays more like a #10 but is a lone striker?

It's just pedantry at the end of the day. You'd go mad trying to come up with a definition for a #10. It's about balance at the end of the day.

54 minutes ago, cannable said:

Best not to think about it. There's no one type of #10 or any position for that matter. 

In a big-man pacey little-man partnership the little man would be the #10. That same little-man would become the #9 if you got rid of the target-man and replaced him with a creative in the hole player. 

And why are some #10s seen as midfielders and others strikers? Why was Bergkamp a striker but Ozil a midfielder? What is Martin if he plays more like a #10 but is a lone striker?

It's just pedantry at the end of the day. You'd go mad trying to come up with a definition for a #10. It's about balance at the end of the day.

Agree totally with the sentiment of this post. There is no true definition of what the position should be and certainly no definition on player type so how we can have too many or too few is beyond me. I do agree we have too many players that are too similar in their playing style, their chosen position and their inability to influence a game of football. 

1 minute ago, Spenno said:

Agree totally with the sentiment of this post. There is no true definition of what the position should be and certainly no definition on player type so how we can have too many or too few is beyond me. I do agree we have too many players that are too similar in their playing style, their chosen position and their inability to influence a game of football. 

That's the point because the number 10 term no longer applies in Football IMO. 

6 hours ago, reveldevil said:

In fairness, it was Rowett who offered up the opinion that we had five number 10's, I'm fairly sure.

6 hours ago, Alpha said:

Well that bodes well for summer recruitment then :blink:

6 hours ago, reveldevil said:

13.56 mins in, on the talk-in.

Go on, pass me that blunt knife and I'll sharpen it for you

16 hours ago, Alpha said:

I thought a number 10 was somebody who often takes up space behind the opposition midfield and in front of the opposition defence. 

We don't have "too many". We don't really have any.

Vydra's best spell in his career came from playing on the shoulder of the last defender

Bent the same

Ince's best has come on the wing at two clubs

Russell, on the wing for Derby

Anya, on the wing for Watford

Nugent, plays all along the front line and takes up so many different positions. But essentially he's always looked to play on the last man. Quite often a fullback. Suppose you can count him just to make it seem Ramage has a clue

Er..

Martin, very much so. Then he goes to support when the ball has gone past him. He looks to drop in more than he looks to push on the backline.

Blackman? Winger

Weimann? Dunno. 

So as usual Craig Ramage is talking complete nonsense. It's what Craig Ramage does best. 

Well put, I agree totally with your description and a lack of our capability in that area. And of course on Ramage!

Vydra, Russell, Ince, Blackman are all number 10s, in addition we have deeper playmakers in Hughes and Butterfield. Camara and Anya I would class as wingers. Of those Only Vydra and Blackman have real pace, Blackman also has power but rarely uses it, no one of those names who will run the channels or give us a different option. 

The general point Rowett has been making is he struggles to affect games with subs as all his options are much of a muchness. And the ones who could offer something different just haven't delivered 

Archived