Championship Play offs ..!!!!!!

neil62uk

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Reading v SWFC would be a boring final. 

I can't help but think the quality in the playoffs this season is well off the quality of last year.

Our 2013/14 side would batter these lot

Gotta be in it to win it, our players will be watching the final in the best hotels money can buy! Another Pina Colada Mr Bent?

9 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I can't help but think the quality in the playoffs this season is well off the quality of last year.

This is the stark reality of winning the playoffs, though, isn't it? No thought of entertainment when the prize is so big. 

At least our last two semifinals were really great entertainment  (admittedly the last one not for all the right reasons!)

It amused me when the Sky commentators were trying to big up the game yesterday. There was little to go on!

Fulham have that collapsibility to them, we saw it at PP and they remind me of absolute peak Derby.

I'm talking Wolves away, Lee Grant bundling it into his own net, Birmingham away in 13/14, 3-1 up with ten minutes to go and it ending 3-3 with the last kick of the game, peak Derby. They have the attacking prowess that comes with peak Derby but the frailty too, imo.

Reading are solid, think they'll have the edge at home in what is now effectively a one off game.

18 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Ouyr 2013-14 side battered QPR - but that didn't quite work out as expected.

23 hours ago, eddie said:

Ouyr 2013-14 side battered QPR - but that didn't quite work out as expected.

We know better than anyone that it's the result that matters. I'd rather that we had had play poorly that day and gone up rather than playing well and not getting anything from it. Football is a results game, Chelsea fans weren't complaining when they won the champions league in 2012 despite parking about 10 buses. The 2013/14 team was good when playing against teams were came and attack us as we could then take them apart on the counter but we tended to struggle when playing teams who sat back.

That goes for any team.

Doesn't matter how you play. If a team sits back and parks the bus then they're going to be harder to break down. Doesn't matter whether you're playing like Barcelona or Ipswich. 

I'd rather be playing like Barcelona tbh. At least you have that creative ability. 

It's not as if because Ipswich play hoofball that they don't struggle to break teams down. Maybe there's less chance of teams parking the bus because they feel Ipswich will create less quality chances than say Fulham who will not take half chances and will prove for the better chance. 

But anyone who thinks results and performances are not linked are insane. We beat West Brom. QPR beat us. And look where that went. 

We broke down plenty of teams that parked the bus. We broke down more teams that parked the bus that season than QPR beat teams that didn't. 

For some reason every time a team like Fulham fails to get a result then people start shouting they've been sussed. As they did when Chelsea beat Barcelona. Look at the longevity. 

Scraping wins soon become draws. Tight wins soon become tight losses. 

I'd rather be struggling now to break down teams playing for a draw than struggling to string an attack together against teams that are happy to come out.

There's a reason they're happy to come out. It's because we aren't that good. 

All that bitching about being "sussed"... here you go, now we have a completely unpredictable Derby County. And half the time it looks like the blind leading the blind

My favourite kind of style is neither the possession based style , nor the park the bus  style. A rock and role heavy metal style, as Klopp puts it, is my favourite kind of style like the Dortmund team of 12/13 or the Juventus team now who close down relentlessly. Sure you need a lot of fit players and a big squad because a lot more injuries will occur but when it's on song, it's brilliant to work. The Dortmund 4-1 Real Madrid game was the prime example of this and to a lesser extent Liverpool winning away 4-1 to Man City. Non stop pressure throughout the game and give the opponents no time to breath.

I'm hoping that Rowett will help deliver this kind of football and the suggestions are that he is also a fan of this kind of football as he said in the radio Derby interview that he was a fan of atletico Madrid and Dortmund . You do need athletic players to play this style to cover the ground but these players must be also decent technically to be able to make things happen when we do retrieve possession .

On 2017-5-15 at 12:30, Leicester Ram said:

Fulham have that collapsibility to them, we saw it at PP and they remind me of absolute peak Derby.

I'm talking Wolves away, Lee Grant bundling it into his own net, Birmingham away in 13/14, 3-1 up with ten minutes to go and it ending 3-3 with the last kick of the game, peak Derby. They have the attacking prowess that comes with peak Derby but the frailty too, imo.

Reading are solid, think they'll have the edge at home in what is now effectively a one off game.

Not so sure about them being solid - more inconsistent maybe. This season they've  shipped a 7, 5, couple of 4's and a few 3's

I can't say that I want teams like Huddersfield or reading to go up as they could only manage goal difference of basically zero over 46 games, meanwhile I think sheff Wednesday have been as boring as anything this season so for me it's Fulham as they do play football and attack and score goals but with a huge sigh after the CM farce. ( let's see them muck it up now) 

PistoldPete2
1 minute ago, curtains said:

Reading 1 up. 

Very very lucky penalty award.. Bounced off his chest onto his arm. No way was that a peno. 

Archived