Chris Martin - joined Reading on loan until the end of the season

DcFc Dyycheee

6 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I can't see him realising that,he's had half a season to use Martin and develop a plan b and hasnt.

Gr has one way of going about things.......he's a very conservative manager at heart and despite bringing  Jerome in as an option,I agree he's just bought in Nugent 3.

That's fine but I'm just don't why he has done it and why he is viewed as some kind of alternative!?

Because he’s a different type of player to nuge?

While there are some similarities, Nugents game relies on quick flicks and putting pressure on defenders and linking up with the attack kids around him. Jeromes game is more based on his height and strength, he’s much better at holding the ball up (hence a Martin replacement of sorts), and as we saw last night he can use his build and speed to bring down longer balls in the scrappy last periods of games and charge through. I can see exactly why he’s bought Jerome, he’s a much better option to bring off the bench toward the end of games than Martin, and we not had a moron of a ref it would have gained us two points yesterday already.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Because he’s a different type of player to nuge?

While there are some similarities, Nugents game relies on quick flicks and putting pressure on defenders and linking up with the attack kids around him. Jeromes game is more based on his height and strength, he’s much better at holding the ball up (hence a Martin replacement of sorts), and as we saw last night he can use his build and speed to bring down longer balls in the scrappy last periods of games and charge through. I can see exactly why he’s bought Jerome, he’s a much better option to bring off the bench toward the end of games than Martin, and we not had a moron of a ref it would have gained us two points yesterday already.

In your opinion....I didn't see enough of him to give him any advantage over Martin as of yet....I think his purchase fee of 1.5 millionth is an indication tho.

And his showboating ruined any chance of a penalty yesterday unfortunately.

Aljosa Asanovic was my favourite derby player and one of the most talented I’ve seen wear the rams shirt. But when smithy cocked up with the non-EU player rules, and Wanchope was an unexpected success, combined with the introduction of Baiano and Eranio which changed the way we played, there was no room for him.

All players come and go. Martin will leave Derby a hero, one of the best strikers we’ve had in 20 years. Sad, but we move on.

18 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

In your opinion....I didn't see enough of him to give him any advantage over Martin as of yet....I think his purchase fee of 1.5 millionth is an indication tho.

No offence mate but I think Jerome could morph into Lionel Messi and bang in 30 goals by the end of the year and you still wouldn’t see anything he offers above Martin! :lol:

Its only one game of course and he could turn into Leon best yet, but i think you could see exactly what he’s here for yesterday. I don’t think he’s as good as Martin all round, and neither is Nugent, but both have specific qualities that are better than Martin and each have important roles to play. Martin hadn’t really done enough this season when starting and a technical player like him isn’t suited to ten minutes here and there so replacing him makes perfect sense with a player who’s more suited to that and starting games where strength is key.

As for your last sentence, the irony is laughable from a guy who’s as big a Martin fan as you! (Not that there’s anything wrong with that mind) Martin often went down theatrically under a challenge and there was nothing wrong with that, just like there was nothing wrong with Jeromes last night. His leg was taken and he went down, don’t care if he’s had a dance on the way down it’s a pen.

32 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Is purchase price indications? Is the fact we are really struggling to get a purchase fee for Martin an indication? 

Seem to remember we were starting to have refs giving less and less fouls in martins favour as he earns a bit of a rep for hamming it up ? 

Why do some let the appreciation for past ( soon to be?)players and managers cloud the acceptance and enjoyment of new ones ? It’s not a new step dad situation it’s the normal turn over of players ,managers and owners of a football club ,our football club 

45 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

how is this? he got kicked but if you don' go down you don't get it and it was down on his foot and not though so he was never going to go down unless he threw himself its the silly rules/refs that make players do it to try and get the peno

47 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

No offence mate but I think Jerome could morph into Lionel Messi and bang in 30 goals by the end of the year and you still wouldn’t see anything he offers above Martin! :lol:

BIG yawn. Standard reply. I think you could live to be Methuselah and still not appreciate what a good player Martin is, mate! 

23 minutes ago, Derbylad92 said:

how is this? he got kicked but if you don' go down you don't get it and it was down on his foot and not though so he was never going to go down unless he threw himself its the silly rules/refs that make players do it to try and get the peno

There was contact, but was it a foul? He dived like a blazing Zeppelin!

Ok p

16 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Ok putting my referee head on.....that was has stonewall a penalty has you are going to get his foot on Jerome's stopped his forward upward movement of his leg.This would bring him down the fact he exaggerated the fall should not be taken into account when making the decision however unpalatable it is.

18 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

IMO there was contact and it was a foul. However, when I saw it 'live' I didn't think it was a penalty because of the way he went down - 'blazing zeppelin!' ha ha :D

20 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

BIG yawn. Standard reply. I think you could live to be Methuselah and still not appreciate what a good player Martin is, mate! 

Standard reply from you then, blinded in your criticism of all things Derby that you don’t read my full post! I quite clearly state I believe Martin to be a better all round player than Cameron jerome.

Ultimately however, I think in the role Martin is currently playing (rotation option and off the bench) in our current system, Jerome has attributes that Martin isn’t quite as good at. That’s not to say he’s technically better than our best striker in a long time, but at this moment in time he’s more suited to a role. Had Martin won his place at the start of the season things may have different, but here we are, and I believe Rowett to have made the right call.

31 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Chris Martin does that and you’d be on here talking about how much intelligence he showed to feel the contact then go down. 

It was extremely obviously a penalty, Jerome played it well and it should have been given.

Bit annoying that I’ve been fighting the good fight for Martin on here for months and you come in with hideously biased posts that discredit the legitimacy of the larger debate. 

12 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Standard reply from you then, blinded in your criticism of all things Derby that you don’t read my full post! I quite clearly state I believe Martin to be a better all round player than Cameron jerome.

Ultimately however, I think in the role Martin is currently playing (rotation option and off the bench) in our current system, Jerome has attributes that Martin isn’t quite as good at. That’s not to say he’s technically better than our best striker in a long time, but at this moment in time he’s more suited to a role. Had Martin won his place at the start of the season things may have different, but here we are, and I believe Rowett to have made the right call.

Ok.....

I agree with much of that millennium ram....Martin doesn't suit a rowett team.

I don't think that Martin was ever going to be in contention to be either....433 with agile midfielders like Hughes and Hendrick isn't rowetts bag and without that set up chrissie wasnt going to bag 25 goals....lol

Having said that,he would have been effective with vydra given a chance I'm sure.

As I've said,I hope he goes out and bags a load with another team,whether on loan or if he's sold.

I'm not knocking jerome either....I know nothing of him and hope he's massive for us.

But his fall yesterday,despite it being a clear penalty in my eyes was rubbish!......sure Martin went down like a bag of solids when necessary but he did it with a little more elan!

55 minutes ago, 1967Ram said:

IMO there was contact and it was a foul. However, when I saw it 'live' I didn't think it was a penalty because of the way he went down - 'blazing zeppelin!' ha ha :D

5a63bc4e48e03_hugemanatee.jpg.b6d636a6f71d798fd4a14ae4fccca70a.jpg

45 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Chris Martin does that and you’d be on here talking about how much intelligence he showed to feel the contact then go down. 

It was extremely obviously a penalty, Jerome played it well and it should have been given.

Bit annoying that I’ve been fighting the good fight for Martin on here for months and you come in with hideously biased posts that discredit the legitimacy of the larger debate. 

Leicester " you come in with hideously biased posts ".  Nothing new there he always has and always will he lives in a Utopia world were Mclaren will come back and Martin will lead the line 

1 hour ago, Leicester Ram said:

Ha ha ha. you totally missed the point - not the brightest bulb are you? - it was to show the similarity to how Martin wins freekicks. But in this case I thought Jerome overdid it!

Archived