Serial Bottlers

YorkshireRam

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ninos said:

Am I imagining this or were we fantastic at defending set pieces under Pearson and through the WBA game under Mac? I seem to recall we were. A few games of mcclaren philosophy and we were suddenly dire and handing easy goals to the other team, leading to him saying "I know how to fix it" - reality is we need to get back whatever we had before. 

I think Nugent's post-match comments certainly offer an insight into why, specific reference to Mac instructing them to sit deeper, play possession based football suggests a distinct change in the tactical set up.
Maybe that's just the players using Mac as a scapegoat knowing he's gone but it certainly showed on the pitch today, Rowett might just have his work cut out so international break has come at a good time potentially. 

8 hours ago, GenBr said:

I don't think Keogh is the problem, but hopefully Rowett can sort out whatever it is.

I absolutely do think he is the problem. Just like I think Albrington is the problem down the road at the Foxes.

3 minutes ago, unclej said:

I absolutely do think he is the problem. Just like I think Albrington is the problem down the road at the Foxes.

I can't believe this post. I'm a fan of keogh, sure he makes mistakes but all 11 players in the match will!! To me he has the same fight and loyalty as bucko. We were doing so much better without him defencivlely weren't we ?pierce looked a real prospect a few games in , keogh injured and suddenly pierce is looking so shaky people are calling for Shackell to come back ffs! . 

1 hour ago, YorkshireRam said:

I think Nugent's post-match comments certainly offer an insight into why, specific reference to Mac instructing them to sit deeper, play possession based football suggests a distinct change in the tactical set up.
Maybe that's just the players using Mac as a scapegoat knowing he's gone but it certainly showed on the pitch today, Rowett might just have his work cut out so international break has come at a good time potentially. 

Congrats on a NAFF thread :thumbsup:

17 hours ago, Boss said:

I think Nugent's interview after the match points out some of the problems. He points out the fact that the defence constantly sit too 10-15 yards too deep, meaning the midfield has to as well, and that the attack then has no support. To me it sounded as if he felt there is nobody commanding the back line to push them up. He also said that during McClaren's time they had a more possession based game but just passed side ways and got nowhere.

So why when Ramage says exactly that does he get slagged off?

11 hours ago, Ruda Harliss said:

I can't believe this post. I'm a fan of keogh, sure he makes mistakes but all 11 players in the match will!! To me he has the same fight and loyalty as bucko.

Here we go again.  A player can get through an entire career without any mental ability as long as he is seen to be giving 100%.  Some can actually get to international level without being able to play the game like Stuart Pearce.  

I don't want Keogh's loyalty. I want him to leave in the summer. I never wanted him to fight, I wanted him to play.

15 hours ago, Ninos said:

Am I imagining this or were we fantastic at defending set pieces under Pearson and through the WBA game under Mac? I seem to recall we were. A few games of mcclaren philosophy and we were suddenly dire and handing easy goals to the other team, leading to him saying "I know how to fix it" - reality is we need to get back whatever we had before. 

The games you mention were when Shackell was in the team.

22 hours ago, robglosta said:

We need some stability, to give a manager a chance to fix these issues not to operate a quick trigger finger.  If we can see that Derby concede late goals, so can/will Rowett. 

Sell Shackell, Blackman, Camara and buy a CB leader to partner Keogh and lead the back four.  That'll help.  

As will Chris Martin back, so things can at least attempt to stick up top. 

Chris Martin certainly helps out defending corners.

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

We were top from kick off. 

Rowett out.

That's how I want to win the league. Alphabetically.

Must admit I didn't realise we were top from kick off. Once we scored I was desperately trying to take a screen shot of the live table before Sunderland equalised or there was a goal in the other game. Thought it may be our only chance this season and didn't want to miss it, but was like trying to defuse a bomb with the clock clicking down to zero in a cheesy thriller.

On 18.3.2017 at 16:11, YorkshireRam said:

This isn't a meltdown thread, nor is it being created in the heat of the moment, now just seems an appropriate time to raise the case.

Over the last 3 seasons, we've always been a ''not quite'' team, always finding a patch of bad form that lasts just long enough to derail our entire season, meaning there's very little momentum to start each season with. What's more worrying is the amount of times we've conceded late, damaging goals this season alone.

Mel's made the decision to sack another manager but at what point (and this is a genuine question), do we stop blaming management and start looking at the only 11 men who can influence a result on the pitch? ''So close, yet so far'' is starting to get tedious but what's standing apart is the distinct lack of progression since the end of the 13/14 season with, largely, the core of the squad remaining pretty constant.

I'm not even making a specific point here, just think that discussions need to be had over why, we are increasingly making a habit out of shooting ourselves in the foot, ON the pitch.

I thought the thread title was about our negative fans!

Small and tiny margins if you ask me.

One year we finished 3rd, another time 5th, then there were tiems we missed out on the top 6.

So what, my point is not everyone can finish top 2, someone has to finish 3rd-6th and some have to miss out on playoffs entirely.
I personally hate the term bottlers, it all just comes down to we have had a good team, but over 46 games there are better teams.

And that starts with the style of play, and the chemistry of the side. Which I am hoping Rowett will get to address before he leaves. There are different ways to win games and different ways to avouid defeat, we have had our qualities under mcClaren and clement, and equally we have lacked quality in certain areas. Physicality being a keen one! - Would hardly call having too many tippy-tappy players and not enough men to put in a good free kick corner, and have the height and strength to attack or defend the set piece being labelled as Bottlers!

4 hours ago, WestKentRam said:

That's how I want to win the league. Alphabetically.

Must admit I didn't realise we were top from kick off. Once we scored I was desperately trying to take a screen shot of the live table before Sunderland equalised or there was a goal in the other game.

That is desperate :)

Archived