Serial Bottlers

YorkshireRam

This isn't a meltdown thread, nor is it being created in the heat of the moment, now just seems an appropriate time to raise the case.

Over the last 3 seasons, we've always been a ''not quite'' team, always finding a patch of bad form that lasts just long enough to derail our entire season, meaning there's very little momentum to start each season with. What's more worrying is the amount of times we've conceded late, damaging goals this season alone.

Mel's made the decision to sack another manager but at what point (and this is a genuine question), do we stop blaming management and start looking at the only 11 men who can influence a result on the pitch? ''So close, yet so far'' is starting to get tedious but what's standing apart is the distinct lack of progression since the end of the 13/14 season with, largely, the core of the squad remaining pretty constant.

I'm not even making a specific point here, just think that discussions need to be had over why, we are increasingly making a habit out of shooting ourselves in the foot, ON the pitch.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Squad has changed quite a bit over that time

Arguably the core has stayed pretty similar, Keogh, Christie, Hughes, Bryson, Russell and Ince have all been playing fairly regularly.

I agree though there's been enough change to be able to reinforce the idea we should be seeing improvements, so why are we still seeing the same issues?

3 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Arguably the core has stayed pretty similar, Keogh, Christie, Hughes, Bryson, Russell and Ince have all been playing fairly regularly.

I agree though there's been enough change to be able to reinforce the idea we should be seeing improvements, so why are we still seeing the same issues?

Because our recruitments been shucking fit 

Just now, cannable said:

Because our recruitments been shucking fit 

I don't know, while I certainly agree we've made some dud signings, we have also added some genuine quality to the squad, Ince, Carson, Baird, Johnson and Nugent (so far) have all justified regular appearances for us, and all those apart from Ince could be described as experienced so it would be hard to argue naivety is the root cause?

Panic sets in at 90+ and there needs to be a remedy for that, hopefully rowett has found more about his team after that and will rectify it

russell should of wasted more time in the corner but that don't excuse the poor marking at the corner for there equaliser 

We need some stability, to give a manager a chance to fix these issues not to operate a quick trigger finger.  If we can see that Derby concede late goals, so can/will Rowett. 

Sell Shackell, Blackman, Camara and buy a CB leader to partner Keogh and lead the back four.  That'll help.  

As will Chris Martin back, so things can at least attempt to stick up top. 

Keogh got very defensive when asked if the players had to take some responsibility in the pre-match interview they had on Radio Derby. He said it was a bit unfair to say the players weren't trying (which isn't what was said) and didn't seem to agree that the players should take some of the responsibility. 

I don't think Keogh is the problem, but hopefully Rowett can sort out whatever it is.

40 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Keogh got very defensive when asked if the players had to take some responsibility in the pre-match interview they had on Radio Derby. He said it was a bit unfair to say the players weren't trying (which isn't what was said) and didn't seem to agree that the players should take some of the responsibility. 

I don't think Keogh is the problem, but hopefully Rowett can sort out whatever it is.

The players always have to take some responsibility, whether they're trying or not, as they're the only ones with the power to influence results ultimately. I understand that at this stage, they're probably as, if not more, hurt than we are but an acknowledgement that at times we're simply not good enough wouldn't have gone amiss. 

6 minutes ago, Shiltonthebragstadsb-lo said:

The Rams have dropped 10 points now this season in time added on, 2 at Bristol, 2 at Reading, 1 at Huddersfield,

1 v Cardiff, 2 v Preston, and 2 today . We have gained no points in extra time.

Room for improvement isn't there

Think we need a calm head and we haven't got one. Not since Eustace have we had a calm player who can keep others from pushing the panic button. Igor was another who had so much self confidence he wouldn't care how much stoppage time there was and he would spread his confidence. 

This team has shown time and again that any simple thing shatters that very fragile confidence. It's usually the captain who brings this but Keogh is not that type. It doesn't matter where this player plays but the summer purchase of an old head should be a must. 

43 minutes ago, Shiltonthebragstadsb-lo said:

The Rams have dropped 10 points now this season in time added on, 2 at Bristol, 2 at Reading, 1 at Huddersfield,

1 v Cardiff, 2 v Preston, and 2 today . We have gained no points in extra time.

very interesting stats, thanks for posting them, says a lot really...

29 minutes ago, Charlie G said:

Think we need a calm head and we haven't got one. Not since Eustace have we had a calm player who can keep others from pushing the panic button. Igor was another who had so much self confidence he wouldn't care how much stoppage time there was and he would spread his confidence. 

This team has shown time and again that any simple thing shatters that very fragile confidence. It's usually the captain who brings this but Keogh is not that type. It doesn't matter where this player plays but the summer purchase of an old head should be a must. 

Or just a wiser player who can influence. I'm not bothered how old they are.

I think Nugent's interview after the match points out some of the problems. He points out the fact that the defence constantly sit too 10-15 yards too deep, meaning the midfield has to as well, and that the attack then has no support. To me it sounded as if he felt there is nobody commanding the back line to push them up. He also said that during McClaren's time they had a more possession based game but just passed side ways and got nowhere.

Just now, Boss said:

I think Nugent's interview after the match points out some of the problems. He points out the fact that the defence constantly sit too 10-15 yards too deep, meaning the midfield has to as well, and that the attack then has no support. To me it sounded as if he felt there is nobody commanding the back line to push them up. He also said that during McClaren's time they had a more possession based game but just passed side ways and got nowhere.

Just heard it and agree with him 100%. Get the defence up the pitch for goodness sake. It isn't rocket science. 

11 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Just heard it and agree with him 100%. Get the defence up the pitch for goodness sake. It isn't rocket science. 

Just watched it too, Obviously they were not happy with how mac had em playing and I 100% agree with Nuge. I was pleased with the performance overall, you could see effort. Thought Ince showed real emotion and effort today. Tracking back well too. I have a good feeling about GR, think some players needed a kick up the arse and it showed today. 

Overall, it was a fair result.

Loved what GR said about the celebrations too.

Archived