Chris Bairds 12 month option.

Coneheadjohn

Baird's 12 month option  

238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Why not, be better than some?

Because we don't know who is in the team for next season. I agreed better than some players we have (currently) 

2 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

...and despite the rubbish he has to put up with Keogh is just fine as captain.

We need a change of mindset in the squad and that can start with a new captain, at least. If Keogh is fine as captain, can you think of any examples of his leadership qualities out of interest?

Great news hopefully it does happen, been excellent all season, one of our most consistent players, a man I think needs to stay, right attitude worked hard to finally get his chance! He's the type of person that we need in the dressing room 

34 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Will he start as a captain next season? Again?

Wouldn't have thought so, he'll be cover I'd have thought. Wasn't the right call by Clement to make him captain, your captain should always be one of the first names on the team sheet or there's no point

7 minutes ago, OohMartWright said:

Did anyone else pick up on GR's choice of words here? Does this suggest that he believes others not to be so?

Thoughts?

I took it to mean he could be trusted to do as was asked, but others perhaps couldn't be. Whether that was through their inability to isn't so obvious to me. But dunno really

Because he says a positive thing about one player doesn't necessarily mean it's a negative about others. 

He probably does mean that Baird can be trusted to do what he's told, but GR saying that should not lead us all to assume he's having a pop at others. He might say the same about them all if asked.

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

We need a change of mindset in the squad and that can start with a new captain, at least. If Keogh is fine as captain, can you think of any examples of his leadership qualities out of interest?

I don't think it is a case of him being an exceptional leader I just can't look at anyone else in the squad we currently have as an improvement. Keogh leads by example, for all the mistakes you can point to he never hides and never gives anything less than 100% to this club, which is more than you can say for a lot of the players at times. I don't think Baird would be a bad captain I just think at the age of 36 you cant expect him to play the bulk of a tough Championship season. Keogh at least guarantees that.

2 hours ago, Topram said:

Great news hopefully it does happen, been excellent all season, one of our most consistent players, a man I think needs to stay, right attitude worked hard to finally get his chance! He's the type of person that we need in the dressing room 

First of all how is this news "great"? This is not even news really. We are again signing a player who hasn't been playing most of his time here ... and like the Blackman butterfield etc signings signing someone based on his temporary good form in a run of games. He's not exactly got much upside either. Second, how do you know he's the type of person we need in the dressing room? Have you been observing the dressing room dynamics?

I like Baird but this is a very underwhelming re signing sorry to say. I'd rather see GR inspire Christie than go this route. 

3 minutes ago, Ninos said:

I'd rather see GR inspire Christie than go this route. 

We have yet to find out that GR is a miracle worker!

The quotes about Baird from GR answer your questions about his character. I'm happy to see him for another year as long as he doesn't ever get thrown into midfield!

I'm slightly disappointed that we are not being more ambitious.

baird has been ok. Nothing more.

at 35 we really should be looking for younger better options.

"

Rowett also said he wants to keep Chris Baird at Derby County next season.

"I have had a conversation with him and my opinion is we should activate the clause," Rowett said.

"He is exactly the type of player we want around in the group.

"He has shown that not only is he very versatile, he is also trustworthy in the way he plays the game.

"Just as importantly, his character is right for what we are looking for moving forward."

This worries me , Chris Baird is a Safe player , I don't think he is an aggressive , high tempo player , but the element I don't like about him is his tendency to throw his arms in the air looking for someone to blame when it goes wrong , never a good sign in the office but even worse on a football pitch 

Personally I think we need two new right backs , A wisdom type player and a promising understudy 

2 minutes ago, JG400 said:

A Wisdom type player and a promising understudy 

Wisdom really wasn't that good.

Baird is more than safe, and think of the goals he's set up or passes he's made when compared to Christie? Plus he's someone with good attitude which we need more of.

Interesting debate about Baird and for me it has been his cool head under pressure and the number of times that he has been the one to set up the counter-attack that have impressed me. 

The worry is of course that he sometimes gets caught for speed. 

Archived