Chris Bairds 12 month option.

Coneheadjohn

Baird's 12 month option  

238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Little bit surprised if/when this happens but it's throughoutly deserved.

I think the keywords for this are professionalism and utility. When he wasn't in the team, he propably kept his head down and took his chance with two hands when given. Inevitable summer clear-out would mean that his utility will become even more important next season. So pleased for him as he has already stated his wish to stay..

Exactly the type of player that we should move on... 

On high wages and showed nothing at Derby or Fulham on loan until 6 months ago. Yes he is playing well for the first time now that his contract is up and he wants another year but we should be bringing the younger players through. 

Remember nobody could say anything good about Baird 12 months ago and in a few months time it will be exactly the same again. 

In fairness to Baird the first time he got a real chance in his preferred position of right back was this season when Christie got injured. If you remember he played well early Clement era at right back but unfortunately got injured.

its funny how players can all

of a sudden play well when played in their natural position.

25 minutes ago, JaguarRam said:

On high wages and showed nothing at Derby or Fulham on loan until 6 months ago. Yes he is playing well for the first time now that his contract is up and he wants another year but we should be bringing the younger players through. 

Remember nobody could say anything good about Baird 12 months ago and in a few months time it will be exactly the same again. 

Really ?? A nasty post.

Since he got his chance last November he has played well and showed us what defending is about. He has kept his place on merit.  Any player in their final year will be playing for a contract extension, but I would have thought any regular fan would have seen his contribution to a turn round in our fortunes. Played at right back rather than midfield he did much better than the previous season and he also covered well at CB when required.

An aging Baird offers more than the inconsistent Christie and I hope he gets the extension.

55 minutes ago, JaguarRam said:

On high wages and showed nothing at Derby or Fulham on loan until 6 months ago. 

Maybe because he was hardly given a chance here? I can't speak for his time at Fulham but I know what he was doing at the start of his time here was pretty much what he is doing now, just keeping it steady at the back. It just took a long time for the idiots in the Derby fanbase to stop scapegoating him appreciate what he brings to the team.

Sith Happens
2 hours ago, JaguarRam said:

How do you know what his wages are?

Baird is exactly the sort of player we should be keeping. If anyone, it's Christie we need to sell this summer because the following summer he will be a free agent and for me Christie hasn't done enough to warrant a new extension. I don't like targeting players but Christie and Olsson really aren't good enough. 

Our right backs should be Baird + a new signing and our left backs should be Forsyth + Lowe. Our centre backs have got a lot of criticism but a lot of their mistakes come when they have to cover for Olsson but ends up leaving gaps at the back.

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

Baird is exactly the sort of player we should be keeping. If anyone, it's Christie we need to sell this summer because the following summer he will be a free agent and for me Christie hasn't done enough to warrant a new extension. I don't like targeting players but Christie and Olsson really aren't good enough. 

Our right backs should be Baird + a new signing and our left backs should be Forsyth + Lowe. Our centre backs have got a lot of criticism but a lot of their mistakes come when they have to cover for Olsson but ends up leaving gaps at the back.

Agreeing with all of this. I wouldn't mind seeing one good CB coming in though.

2 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Agreeing with all of this. I wouldn't mind seeing one good CB coming in though.

For me I'd like to see in the summer 1 RB, 1 CB, 1 CDM(possibly 2 depending on Thorne's fitness), 1 left winger and possibly a creative attacking midfielder who is flexible enough to play on the wings if need be.

2 hours ago, DRBee said:

Really ?? A nasty post.

Since he got his chance last November he has played well and showed us what defending is about. He has kept his place on merit.  Any player in their final year will be playing for a contract extension, but I would have thought any regular fan would have seen his contribution to a turn round in our fortunes. Played at right back rather than midfield he did much better than the previous season and he also covered well at CB when required.

An aging Baird offers more than the inconsistent Christie and I hope he gets the extension.

Not a nasty post. A post that differs from your opinion. 

A team building for the future should be moving on and not sticking with aging players that have shown nothing up to 6 months ago at either Derby of Fulham. Maybe he was playing out of position but he obviously didn't show the managers any reason he should have playing there.

We need to move the club along. 

32 minutes ago, McLovin said:

And Keogh has to cover Christie making his job harder and in turn getting stick from the 'experts' in the stands.

If we keep plugging the gaps with ok players then we won't progress.

chris could stay if he's happy to sit on the bench. Not sure that that is what he wants.

56 minutes ago, RamNut said:

If we keep plugging the gaps with ok players then we won't progress.

chris could stay if he's happy to sit on the bench. Not sure that that is what he wants.

I think Chris will be 1st choice and he's more than OK. But the idea of a team is for it to be greater than the sum of its parts.

Baird was great today and he's earnt his 12 months.

But we can't be relying on him like that next year.

When I started the thread I saw him as a great person/professional to have around and great cover all along the back.

It showed today how much we needed him to start,that can't be the case next year.

Cover and selected starts when it needs it I think.

Archived