Our front four

Sparkle

Well our front four looked an awful lot better against Barnsley as a group with Nugent not giving a moments piece to the defenders and the  three of Ince Russell and Vydra all being mobile and interchangeable in their different positions during games, if we carry on with these I expect Vydra to take the central role more over time but at least we looked like a dangerous attacking team what do others think?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Ewe Ram said:

Championship defenders don't like pace and direct play, a front four with pace, movement and forward momentum is the way. 

This 100%. As the game progressed yesterday the front 4 really got some excellent interplay going, moving the ball quickly between themselves and finding space. It's this that increased the speed and efficiency of our attacks, and led to us creating far more chances than in recent times. Keep going with this front 4 and maybe move vydra inside and we've got something going

I liked it..... think they'll be firing if they can have a run of games together. Thought it was Russell's best performance of the season yesterday. He looked gutted when he went off. 

1 hour ago, Mafiabob said:

I liked it..... think they'll be firing if they can have a run of games together. Thought it was Russell's best performance of the season yesterday. He looked gutted when he went off. 

I agree, he is actually a lot more dangerous on the right hand side and their left back was delighted when he went off.

2 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

i think he is desperate for a goal and eith him playing in a better spot yesterday it looked like it was coming...hopefully he will get another chance on tuesday

Russell was tremendous yesterday. I was impressed with Vydra again, Nugent was a problem for Barnsley all game long and Ince did what Ince does and got himself another goal. All in all, from our current squad probably the best options with have for the front four? When Vydra went off I'd have liked to see Mason Bennett come on for the last 10 and get a chance. 

2 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

Russell didn't want to come off anyway. 

12 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Was it just me or did Christie seem more effective with Russell in front of him?

Whereas Ince tends to stand in front of Christie demanding the ball, Russell seemed to know when to drift inside leaving Christie to attack their full back.

I prefer we accommodate Ince than Christie and Russell.

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

It's good to have different options  down the right - Christie and Russell, Baird and Ince.

I quite enjoyed the free role Ince played yesterday. 

14 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

On performances like yesterday, Russell is our second best winger. Let's see if he can maintain that level of performance. 

There wasn't really any other choice yesterday, Christie had to play right back with Baird switched to CB.

37 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

It's all about finding the best team though rather than the best players.

If Ince playing central means he's negated slightly (but is still highly effective) but allows the 'old' Russell to perform better on the right, then that might well work better for the team.

I think the shape yesterday allowed for so much more flexibility than the 4-3-3. 

I'm not just saying this because he he got good reviews yesterday but from what I've seen over the last few years (which isn't as much as some of you) Russell looks like nothing more than a workhorse on the left. But with a run of games on the right he looks a quality footballer. He was very good when he was on the right and Ibe was on the left.

44 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I'm hoping we sign a younger version of Baird over the summer tbh.

Quite like the current version personally

Thought he was excellent yesterday as he has been over the last few months. 

We would have missed him this season if he hadn't been here

Definitely deserving of another year in my view, current evidence suggests he can still do it at this level and his versatility and experience makes him a real asset to the club

Archived