Ideas to get the atmosphere going

Sexydadbod

8 minutes ago, David said:

1) Entertaining winning football which has been lacking since Fergie left. Old Trafford is a big big ground and you really notice it when football isn't going their way. Probably the best away fans in the country to make noise as well, not just generic chants either they've had a fair few unique ones that have been modified elsewhere.

2) Times have changed, the Class of people have changed due to the cost of football, political correctness. 

2) I think you over estimate the 'niceness' of the fans. Most would join in with 'chanting' not necessarily obnoxious songs, but ever was that thus. They need to be started up is the problem.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

2) I think you over estimate the 'niceness' of the fans. Most would join in with 'chanting' not necessarily obnoxious songs, but ever was that thus. They need to be started up is the problem.

Forza in the south stand starts a few, only problem is nobody joins in with him. Probably as they are so random.

Must be the shorts..

10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Sit in the North and West stands for a couple games, since I was young, Stevie Macs barmy army, you hear it, nowhere near the levels of the South stand but it catches on, it's there.

When the Collymore or ******* bounce starts silence. You might see the odd kid bouncing saying nothing but they elimate any noise at all from those 2 stands.

There's so many classics that are 4 Stand friendly which are no longer used, or take time to catch on like Bryson Jäger, Camara Zafira as it's not always obvious what the words are.

Doesnt bother me, not offended in the slightest but when talking about improving the atmosphere it needs to come from all 4 sides. A little bit from 2 is better than none at all.

@David is right, I think you need to have likeminded people sitting together. Unfortunately it didn't quite happen right when the South Stand was formed. If we only had 14,000 season tickets you could probably allocate somewhere, but we don't have any space anywhere to say - singers sit there.

Safe standing could well be the answer - especially if it is unallocated. Sadly we're probably still at least 2-3 years away from it being trialled in England.

Personally, I'd love to see the block in the East Stand near the away fans grow and have their own identity - it makes a difference when they're joining in!

Being an ST holder from the west stand, the same thing has happened over the past few seasons. The first half of the season sees noise coming from all 4 stands. But as the season goes on the atmosphere begins to fade away due to the amount of negativity from some of the fans leaving the south stand as the only real stand chanting(along with a small minority of the east stand. sometimes I think we need someone on a mic.

11 minutes ago, David said:

Doesnt bother me, not offended in the slightest but when talking about improving the atmosphere it needs to come from all 4 sides. A little bit from 2 is better than none at all.

Yes I said that. The point being the other stands on the whole won't start the chanting.

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yes I said that. The point being the other stands on the whole won't start the chanting.

They don't have to, doesn't matter where it starts, just need to be "friendly" enough for them to join in when it gets going

Some fans go to be entertained and expect it to happen as the footballers are paid loads etc. We apparently have a high number of concession fans so they are less likely to join in imo.

Fans being able to stand together like they do at away games who want to chant would help but it's impossible to do with our attendances, you aren't able to migrate to the top of the stand.

i blame SM, under NC we could do that as the poor football dropped the attendances especially away from home :whistle:

15 minutes ago, David said:

They don't have to, doesn't matter where it starts, just need to be "friendly" enough for them to join in when it gets going

Errr that's also what I said, that they're unlikely to join in with obnoxious songs. But I don't think they have to be as sanitised as you think.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Errr that's also what I said, that they're unlikely to join in with obnoxious songs. But I don't think they have to be as sanitised as you think.

Not sure what you're actually disagreeing with then. You won't see one chant catching on in the North and West that contain naughty words. Been a ST holder in the North Stand before and spent a few games in the West Stand, they just don't unless I've had deaf days.

Not suggesting no chant can ever contain any naughty words but you need a higher percentage of friendly chants to improve the atmosphere around the stadium.

Dim the floodlights

change the music....maybe put on a bit of demis roussos 

Put some nibbles out and some scatter cushions

a few squirts of perfume and bit of make up for the players

Wear something slightly more sophisticated than a shirt labelled 'just eat'.

1 hour ago, David said:

Sit in the North and West stands for a couple games, since I was young, Stevie Macs barmy army, you hear it, nowhere near the levels of the South stand but it catches on, it's there.

When the Collymore or ******* bounce starts silence. You might see the odd kid bouncing saying nothing but they elimate any noise at all from those 2 stands.

There's so many classics that are 4 Stand friendly which are no longer used, or take time to catch on like Bryson Jäger, Camara Zafira as it's not always obvious what the words are.

I think this is very true and the North Stand always joins in with 'Since I was young' and the 'dale cavesa' or whatever it is called thing. Trouble is the South Stand need to keep it going for a bit to build up around the other stands. 

They don't bounce and don't know the words to the others.

Also at corners they will join in the claps ending with Derby but the South Stand only does it twice then it stops. Why? Keep it going till we actually take the corner.

When we get asked to sing a song specifically we nearly always start 'Oh when the rams ' - it's an old old song but everyone our end loves it. 

Without reading through here's my take:-

We hardly sing if the away team doesn't bring many. See the Cardiff game for an example.

If we're on a bad run for example like at the moment we're expecting to lose or something bad to happen so to speak. In return we will not sing as much (Booing and groaning is more louder in these games).

People need to get to grips with the fact other teams will come to PP and create more noise then us as they are generally more *Singers*. Bit like when we're away and take a lot.

Last but not least when we're behind or starting to come back into the game it'd help we sing songs which everyones in tune. The amount of times I gave up on Saturday because the SS is either one side singing and the other at different times or different songs all together. We need to bring back the good old 'Super Derby, Super Rams' songs which can keep going and inspire the team.

3 hours ago, David said:

Even with one of these you have to accept that 3 out of 4 stands will not be super vocal, it doesn't help that many songs now are not family friendly which rules out large sections of a ground...

This isn't the 70/80's anymore, footballs changed so songs need to also change and less chance of being seen as "offensive".

Against modern football and all that I know but you don't have to like it to accept the reality of where the game is now.

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

2) The people in the stands haven't changed that much, even at the BBG the boring stands would join in with most chants. They won't join in if there's nothing to cheer or if other's haven't started the chants is my view.

I disagreed with your opinion of the make up of the supporters in the stands. Chants aren't offensive songs, on the whole. I don't remember ever hearing anything worse than hints about the referee's heritage from *all* of the stadium at the BBG.

I don't think you'd get the whole stadium singing whether it's old fashioned 70s or new-fangled modern supporters. But as I said to get them all chanting they need to be lead.

9 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I disagreed with your opinion of the make up of the supporters in the stands. Chants aren't offensive songs, on the whole. I don't remember ever hearing anything worse than hints about the referee's heritage from *all* of the stadium at the BBG.

I don't think you'd get the whole stadium singing whether it's old fashioned 70s or new-fangled modern supporters. But as I said to get them all chanting they need to be lead.

You're gonna get your ******* head kicked in... cStand, Popside, Ossie.

To get all of the ground singing they need to know the words, so they'll join in with the older well knowed songs but not new ones. Also when a section of the south stand starts any new song it needs words that are easy to pick up, have a tune that is recognisable and sung a number of times before others will join in.

Drink 6 pints of Worthington E or Double Diamond then harass the away supporters as they arrive at the Station. Shout abuse at them as the police march them to the ground then run into the Popside/Ossie End to threaten them through the fences whilst smoking Players No6 and pretending to be dead cool in your Harrington Jacket and ox-blood Docs..

Disclaimer: Cease this behaviour when you realise you want a girlfriend :ph34r:

Archived