Jeff Hendrick - Thank you

Burnley_fan

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Hendrick's biggest problem was playing in a pro-active side. Tasked with getting on the ball, linking play and being a creative force. He's just go missing eery other game. Burnley play re-active football. They mostly either defend or just hook the ball in the corner.

Their style of football, like Republic of Ireland, suits Hendrick as he doesn't have to think about what he's doing. 

Glad he's doing well.

So he'd have been a good player to have around if Pearson was still here then.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Blimey Jeff Hendrick making it in the prem was something I wasn't convinced I was ever gonna see! Good on him, always thought he'd be a championship player his whole career, simply wasn't intelligent or consistent enough to play for us on a regular basis and frankly I thought we'd robbed Burnley. Shows what a system less built around good footballers, but rather effective battlers/ runners does to players like him 

3 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Or it could show that you know nowt about decent footballers.

Ouch!

To be fair to the lad the Jeff Hendrick thread on here was full of folk wanting rid, even at the initial £4 mill bid so props to @Millenniumram for fessing up that he didn't see any value in Jeff - I had endless debates with 'seasoned' posters on here saying the same thing.

There's also something in the argument that his role under Dyche suits him better IMO. @Bris Vegas's posts on this thread offer substance to that argument too given the plaudits he's been receiving lately whilst being superficially less productive than he was here at Derby (based on stats alone).

One thing that surprises me is that Hendrick hasnt got injured yet at burnnley. He was often getting injured at Derby. It's one of the reasons I thought £10.5 million was a good deal... Roughly what we paid for Johnson and butterfield combined. If one of them is injured we can play the other. 

1 hour ago, StringerBell said:

So he'd have been a good player to have around if Pearson was still here then.

That's what I said at the time. With our current tactics Jeff was our fifth choice CM but with 4-4-2 he would've been starter. Or at least that's how I saw it.

7 hours ago, Burnley_fan said:

I wasn't trying to get a bite from anyone. Just saying he's done really well for us, especially in recent weeks. We seem to be far more savvy in comparison to two years ago and also bought Robbie Brady on deadline day.

You did well with Jeff and pleased he's doing well.

Was talking to a Norwich fan yesterday and they think they gave an equally good deal, they only wish Jeff's mate had come to you for more money in the summer(there was local talk of wanting £20m for Brady back then, delusional maybe). Think Jeff tempted him in, so something else he's bought to you; funny my Norwich mate reckons Brady needed selling and hasn't contributed much, isn't part of their best team etc - all the hallmarks of what a few Derby fans were saying about Hendrick back in the summer.

Hope Jeff keeps improving, he could probably end up with a team vying for honours eg cup or europa league in time.

Seems a few here are rewriting history - Hendrick was mostly poor for us for the last two or three years, no matter what anyone says. He needs to be next to someone powerful and defensively strong for him to have the freedom to blossom, something we never had. Everyone won from this transfer.

59 minutes ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Seems a few here are rewriting history - Hendrick was mostly poor for us for the last two or three years, no matter what anyone says. He needs to be next to someone powerful and defensively strong for him to have the freedom to blossom, something we never had. Everyone won from this transfer.

Seems someone is rewriting history with this very post.....

I always keep an eye out for him, both for Ireland and Burnley.

He's quite hard to spot mostly, the trick is to look for the midfielder furthest away from the ball, caught in no man's land contributing little to defense or attack.

1 hour ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Hmm, these were my thoughts at the time he left

On 31/08/2016 at 10:24, Zag zig said:

Why the need to play down the O.P's sentiment?

Here is a kid who has come through our Academy, played over 200 games, scored a few memorable goals and now we are going to cash in on his talent! Had he stayed he could have probably smashed the most capped international player stats whilst playing for the Rams by a distance; that's no mean feat. But he's going to a Prem team because we were not able to take him there ourselves.

Whether he goes on to better things, improves as a player or justifies his fee remains to be seen. The fact is loyalty or not, he HAS developed and served Derby well; he should leave with every fans best wishes. The memory of the winning goal against Forest with 10 men will live on a long, long time.

Good luck Jeff, will watch your career with interest.

Can't say I've changed my mind, yes it was a good deal all round but he was no failure for us in my eyes and had we have reached the Prem could have been doing well for us in my opinion. Don't think he's quite as influential as made out but he's no disaster in the Prem either.

While Will has always caught the eye with his twinkle toes, my hope was that when he went, at least we could keep Jeff who had all the attributes to become Derby's Steven Gerrard. It's not worked out that way and we have kept Hughes (hallelujah!) and Jeff went to the Prem with Burnley.

I feel with the players we've had and the structure behind the scenes we should be in the Prem, but we're not. But I'm pleased for Jeff that he is and cheer him on every week when he does well and, though some claimed it was nonsense, I said we shouldn't sell for less than 10 million.

We got 10 million, good for Derby, good for Burnley and good for Jeff. Everyone has won. Top 10 in the Prem!

14 hours ago, Burnley_fan said:

Just to say a very big thank you for allowing us to sign Jeff Hendrick. What a player!

He's been getting better each week and his last few performances indicate we have a fantastic player on our hands! :)

After seeing the Euros, I realised he would probably shine in a team who is made up of different characters and different types of players to the ones at Derby.

Also fair play on him wanting Prem football while Keogh and Bryson had a look around at Turf Moor but ultimately stayed at Derby.

4 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

After seeing the Euros, I realised he would probably shine in a team who is made up of different characters and different types of players to the ones at Derby.

Also fair play on him wanting Prem football while Keogh and Bryson had a look around at Turf Moor but ultimately stayed at Derby.

A town in Lancashire with 70,000 odd people... must be living the dream.

With regards to injuries we've got Barton, Defour and Westwood in midfield, so we are not short of players.

Hendrick, like most professional footballers, will always play well in the right system. Just look at how well it worked for Kante and the rest of their team when Leicester won the title. Luckily, we are currently playing to his strengths which is good for us, and him.

With regards to Shackell he was brilliant when we got promoted the first time under Dyche. Great at organising our defence. I think he'd still be a good player in our squad. 

Archived