Team Spirit?

Coneheadjohn

4 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Doesn't happen often but, on this occasion, Curtains does have a bit of a point. SM shouldn't be immune from criticism. The 2 key points for me though is 1) the subtle difference between constructive criticism and negative moaning, 2) avoiding knee jerk reactions. We've had a couple of set backs and a number of poor performances recently but, on the whole SM is doing a very good job. Under Pearson I don't remember any highs and little prospect of improvement. 

The Pearson experiment failed i am afraid for one reason or another but 8 matches was never enough but that's history now  .

People forget who appointed Pearson though in the first place. 

As for Super Mac I hope it works out because I am still a fanatical Derby fan and his intentions are good  .

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

First bloke on asked have we missed a trick not turning the Jake Livermore & Tom Carroll loan signings into permanent deals.

FFS we had Livermore EIGHT years ago and we had Carroll SIX years ago... and they were crap!!!!!!!!! :pinch:

Does this mean we shouldn't give up on vydra until about 2023?:lol:

46 minutes ago, curtains said:

As regards team spirit and players getting on. 

I do not think Andy Cole and Teddy Sheringham got on allegedly but boy were they a good striking partnership. 

Team spirit helps though. 

Not wanting to incur the wrath of Sir Alex prob helped lol 

Perhaps Steve needs to develop a ranting side like sir Alex. 

He's already developed the bright red complexion. :lol:

4 hours ago, curtains said:

The Pearson experiment failed i am afraid for one reason or another but 8 matches was never enough but that's history now  .

As for Super Mac I hope it works out because I am still a fanatical Derby fan and his intentions are good  .

The Pearson Experiment...like that as a film title.

The plot is to turn an underperforming sports team into a completely demotivated rabble.

6 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

My brother mentioned this to me after Leeds.I'm neutral on it.

Didn't look great at Leeds but that could have been genuine disappointment.

Are they all in this together?I wouldn't expect them all to get on but do they?

Why did you not tell your brother he was a moanin old git? Or are you just hiding behind him?

No one can really tell what team spirit is like without being in training and team talks, but I'd certainly say we didn't lose against Leeds due to a lack of trying or spirit, we failed because we didn't execute the plan mac had anywhere near well enough and didn't have enough leadership in the team to drag us out of the lull.

There were too many individual mistakes, players misplacing passes or giving the ball away cheaply down in the main to poor concentration, which I'm sure Mac will have moaned at the players afterwards about.

Overall we didn't execute the plan properly, so we failed because of a lack of team cohesion rather than spirit. Hopefully with a bit of a wake up call from the manager and some changes to the starting 11 we will perform better on Saturday, recent performances have been concerning but the windows still open , let's not panic yet

Here's a thought....if everyone hadn't slagged wassall off last season(after all he was doing a good job by the end,certainly better than piss poor Pearson) then he might have stayed on into this season until Mac was appointed...and we would still have Martin here and less of the other deadwood.

Just goes to show that fan power has its downsides...

7 hours ago, curtains said:

It amazes me how it was ok to moan about Pearson but never even question McClaren. 

Is it ok to question Super Mac about anything or has all the fun gone out of Football  .

I think if we just applaud when we lose that the life would go out of trying to win  games as who cares anyway  .

Derby have team spirit I hope as a given  .

This isn't a thread about McClaren. It's a thread about team spirit? 

I never mentioned McClaren or Pearson. 

6 hours ago, curtains said:

9 matches was enough. Lowest scorers in England and Scotland. 6 points. Didn't even perform well against Carlisle or Grimsby. He was playing Hughes and Bryson in defensive midfield and Jacob Butterfield on the left. He was horrific in every possible way. He loaned out our top scorer!! C'mon mate, maybe you don't expect results straight away but you don't expect entirely negatives. There were no positives. Not one single player played to their ability. Nothing good at all. 

Mel Morris appointed Pearson. I'm not sure your point. How has anyone forgot who appointed him? Why does it matter?

4 minutes ago, Alpha said:

9 matches was enough. Lowest scorers in England and Scotland. 6 points. Didn't even perform well against Carlisle or Grimsby. He was playing Hughes and Bryson in defensive midfield and Jacob Butterfield on the left. He was horrific in every possible way. He loaned out our top scorer!! C'mon mate, maybe you don't expect results straight away but you don't expect entirely negatives. There were no positives. Not one single player played to their ability. Nothing good at all. 

Mel Morris appointed Pearson. I'm not sure your point. How has anyone forgot who appointed him? Why does it matter?

It was the first time since Jewell was here that I thought there was a genuine chance of going down, and that's with a squad that finished 5th the year before.

11 minutes ago, Alpha said:

But most Derby fans though Nigel Pearson was an excellent appointment at the time. 

Lots of Derby fans were laughing at McClaren failing at Newcastle.

McClarens back so let's hope it works out  .

Just wish I had an input on who we appoint as manager and who we sign but I don't and neither does any Derby County fan we just have to put up with what we are given and hope for the best .

50 minutes ago, Alpha said:

This isn't a thread about McClaren. It's a thread about team spirit? 

I never mentioned McClaren or Pearson. 

The point I'm making you had a go at Pearson and the way the team played under him and you are still having a go  .

Nigel Clough, McClaren,Clement,Wassall ,Pearson ,McClaren again and we are still in the Championship so who's fault is that  

If the team fail under McClaren I hope you will say so. 

I hope they don't fail under McClaren . 

4 minutes ago, curtains said:

But most Derby fans though Nigel Pearson was an excellent appointment at the time. 

I didn't...

On the team spirit debate... We lost, we got outplayed, we got done... It was horrible and I imagine the players who ran hard all game were all dispirited, frustrated and upset...

I personally believe we are STILL in the transition period... The sudden flight up the league has been amazing but in truth we are still nowhere near playing the flowing, exciting football we were in 13/14... 

In 13/14 we were coming off the basis of a squad built by Nigel Clough... A man who drilled in possession, passing and football to all our players... It was a simple matter of better coaching and a little more bravery to turn that team into a good one under McClaren...

Now we are coming off the back of Clement and Pearson, both of whom made us play defensive, possession based, non-attacking football... We need a LOT longer to adapt back to the way McClaren naturally wants us to play (or seems to want us to)

Team spirit problems? Nah... They seem fine overall... We just need to be a bit more patient...

10 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I didn't...

On the team spirit debate... We lost, we got outplayed, we got done... It was horrible and I imagine the players who ran hard all game were all dispirited, frustrated and upset...

I personally believe we are STILL in the transition period... The sudden flight up the league has been amazing but in truth we are still nowhere near playing the flowing, exciting football we were in 13/14... 

In 13/14 we were coming off the basis of a squad built by Nigel Clough... A man who drilled in possession, passing and football to all our players... It was a simple matter of better coaching and a little more bravery to turn that team into a good one under McClaren...

Now we are coming off the back of Clement and Pearson, both of whom made us play defensive, possession based, non-attacking football... We need a LOT longer to adapt back to the way McClaren naturally wants us to play (or seems to want us to)

Team spirit problems? Nah... They seem fine overall... We just need to be a bit more patient...

I'll point out I wanted Gary Rowett as Derby Manager at the time and for a very long time before that  . But Nigel Pearson was appointed by DCFC  

I said it again and again in fact I lost count how many times I said it. 

54 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

It was the first time since Jewell was here that I thought there was a genuine chance of going down, and that's with a squad that finished 5th the year before.

Just wasn't a single positive was there. Not one player was playing anywhere near their capability. No goals. I think the most positive thing was our defensive record and yet with 10 men behind the ball at all times we were still conceding often enough to lose games. 

Some people have talked about how we've been lucky at times on this run we've had. You still have to give luck a chance. If you don't attack then luck won't help you score. If you defend for 90mins then luck can only keep the opposition out so much. 

He was terrible in every possible way. 

51 minutes ago, curtains said:

The point I'm making you had a go at Pearson and the way the team played under him and you are still having a go  .

Nigel Clough, McClaren,Clement,Wassall ,Pearson ,McClaren again and we are still in the Championship so who's fault is that  

If the team fail under McClaren I hope you will say so. 

I hope they don't fail under McClaren . 

What?

When have I ever been really critical of our managers apart from complete clowns like Jewell and Pearson who can't put their egos aside and come in like blameless tyrants.

Like Nigel Clough. The only time I criticise Nigel is if people come up with alternate futures where he lead us to the PL. The job he did here was the job that needed doing. I like Nigel Clough. 

Wassall, another one I defended a lot. He didn't make any transfers, didn't get a summer and he didn't get many games. But we battered Hull twice and scored like 10 goals in 3 games or something at one point. We were massively up and down with him. From QPR away to Hull at home to Bolton at home to MK Dons. The Play Offs typically showed what the Wassall reign was like. But I certainly didn't hammer him for it. I defended him a fair bit.

Who's fault is it we're still in the Championship? 

Who's fault is it Liverpool haven't won the Premier League? Who's fault is it George Thorne has had injuries? There's not one reason is there?

The reason we didn't get promoted in 2014 isn't the same as the reason we didn't get promoted in 2015, 1994, 2004 etc etc. 

You say you don't want McClaren to fail but you criticise him an awful lot. You have only started posting so much since we lost a couple of games!!

Archived