Not Reinstating Alex Pearce

Ninos

The transformation in Alex Pearce's Derby career this season goes to show that it is pointless writing any player off.

He came here with a respectable track record as a good defender, an honest pro and an excellent servant in his time at Reading.

But then we signed Shackell and with Keogh and Buxton already here, he couldn't get a look in.

He was farmed out on loan to Bristol City and must have thought it was never going to work out for him here.

He bided his time and waited patiently for his chance and took it. And this was close to a year in waiting. So I don't think he'll be concerned by missing a few games when he has been a revelation for us this season.

I am sure he would prefer to be playing but he must know his time will come again.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Silly to break up the Keogh/Pearce partnership, irrelevant of how well Shackell played at WBA.

Don't know why we've not tried Shackell at left back.

If we going to persist with Baird & Hanson short-term then we should switch young Hanson to RB and the experienced Baird to LB.

If you look at it from Pearces perspective you gotta wonder why you lost your place at Leeds. I imagine it's a little upsetting to the player. 

1 minute ago, Ninos said:

If you look at it from Pearces perspective you gotta wonder why you lost your place at Leeds. I imagine it's a little upsetting to the player. 

I'm sure Mac will have explained his reasons behind the decision not to select him. AP seems a level headed guy that will just get his head down and work his way back into the side. He shouldn't have too much trouble in that respect if the team continues to perform as it did on Friday. 

Not having Pearce in the team wasn't the reason we lost at Leeds, our midfield was simply put- no one could hold onto the ball for any period of time or create any sort of chance in the Leeds area. Swap Bryson for Hughes at the start and you'd have had a different game entirely, that's where the issue can be pinpointed imo, Shackell wasn't the best but he was hardly poor in comparison to others on the field

5 hours ago, Ninos said:

This.

All those who say don't change a winning side. We won how many with Pearce in? Won 1 with Shackell in. Lost at Leeds so bring Pearce in? What if we lost to Reading? Bring Shackell back in?

Play your best players that means Pearce and not Shackell. I like Shackell but Pearce has been amazing for much of his time in the side.

I cannot for the life of me understand why Mac dropped him in the first place and I cannot understand for the life of me why there is even a question mark about it.

Pearce plays until such a time where he has 5 or 6 howlers on the spin.

THEN Shackell gets his chance.

7 hours ago, David said:

Well I sat here after the game, closed my eyes and replayed the set piece in my head with Pearce playing, he cleared the ball away with a weak header which landed to the feet of Rob Green who flicked the ball up, turned and hit a Andy Carroll style bicycle kick into the top corner.

It was an unbelieveable goal, what Rob Green was doing I'll never know, I can only assume he forgot we haven't played the second half yet so went up for the last minute glory.

Sadly I kept by virtual virtual reality headset on and straight after kick off Pearce went in 2 footed against Wood, ref sent him off, several players had to drag him off the pitch where Shackell was waiting, Pearce took a running kick and smashed Shackell so hard in the balls he fell back and wiped out the subs bench.

I must have virtually visualised an issue between the pair where they don't get on, a similar relationship to Ince and Martin if you like.

Wasnt a happy ending, Pearce had an additional 5 match ban and £1.2m fine which saw him leave the club to pay off, went to Shanghai United as he was offered 800k per week.

I'm glad McClaren started Shackell.

Maybe a bit less cheese before bedtime?

17 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

This.

All those who say don't change a winning side. We won how many with Pearce in? Won 1 with Shackell in. Lost at Leeds so bring Pearce in? What if we lost to Reading? Bring Shackell back in?

Play your best players that means Pearce and not Shackell. I like Shackell but Pearce has been amazing for much of his time in the side.

I cannot for the life of me understand why Mac dropped him in the first place and I cannot understand for the life of me why there is even a question mark about it.

Pearce plays until such a time where he has 5 or 6 howlers on the spin.

THEN Shackell gets his chance.

Agree. I actually can't recall a situation where one of your best performing players has been performing at such a high level, then rested ? for a cup match, and then dropped because the replacement had a strong game. Yes, dropped. Just really weird to me that a player got dropped this way. Unsettling too I'd bet. 

Hope AP just shrugs it off and moves forward 

7 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Agree. I actually can't recall a situation where one of your best performing players has been performing at such a high level, then rested ? for a cup match, and then dropped because the replacement had a strong game. Yes, dropped. Just really weird to me that a player got dropped this way. Unsettling too I'd bet. 

Hope AP just shrugs it off and moves forward 

Agree Ninos.

Just for example Darren Bent scores in 9 consecutive games which we don't lose then we lose the tenth without scoring then do we drop Bent and bring in Vydra?

Then Vydra plays in a cup game in which he doesn't score. Do we play Vydra again in the following league game?

I mean you can't make this up. It's such a no brainer that I can't believe we're even discussing Pearce or Shackell at this point.

Common sense.

I'd have played Pearce without hesitation, for me he's been the player of the season so far. Shackell was decent at West Brom but his early performances didnt inspire alot of confidence in me, very uncertain with the ball at his feet whereas Pearce used it much quicker and actually in a forwards direction. Disappointed with the decision, would hope Pearce is back for the next match or else its pretty unfair.

Shackell didn't lose his man for the goal but did for every other set play. Bartley should have had at least 2 goals! 

That being said there's not much between Shackell and Pearce in terms of all round ability but I just think Pearce is much better with the ball and in the way we play we have to go with a ball playing centre half out of two of similar ability? 

8 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Watch the goal. 

Bradley Johnson loses his man. Shackell marks his.

I'm not Shackell's biggest fan, he can't pass further than Keogh, the left back, or the holding midfielder. Which, would be fine, but it happens so slowly that it gets us in trouble when we want to play out from the back.

But Shackell or Pearce, it wouldn't matter in terms of that goal, as its not his man.

Thats exactly the point

Why would our tallest CB and best header of a ball not be picking up their CF ?

Whenever we have Shack playing we look vulnerable from set pieces and corners. He often goes missing

When Pearce and Keogh play we look far less so 

3 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Bit of a coincidence that Derby have not been the same since the Chris Martin saga started? Not a coincidence in my opinion. Confidence is fragile and we have lost a lot of it.

Or you know it could be to do with the serious disruption at left back and midfield over the past few games and playing 3 good sides away from home in a row ......

Archived