Are we mentally tough enough

Thameram

When everyone is fit and we are able to put out our best eleven are we mentally strong enough to win the big games,i don't see any change over the last few years to say these players have what it takes,schteve has a free hit this season to make the play offs but come the summer we need to clear a few out and get some players with backbone we lack pace and power all over the park.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, the players as a group have not been mentally tough enough to get over the line. Play off final, need a point to get in the play offs and play off semi final in the last 3 seasons and lost them all. We need a Dave Mackay, Rob Hindmarch, Robin Van Der Laan or similar. The squad are too nice and too meek in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, The 1884 Group said:

No and we haven't been for 4 years. Most of the time we do enough but we very rarely manage important games anywhere nearly well enough.

In four years the squad has almost entirely changed. 

Eight of the fourteen players used yesterday have been promoted before. 

Mental toughness is just an excuse fans make. 

Which is what Pearson was trying to achieve but it backfired. 

It's an interesting one- when we try change the way we are we are dreadful and we we go back to our usual style we just are not tough enough to succeed.

I have reservations with macs plan B always have. Can never understand why he religiously sticks to the '4-3-3' regardless of scoreline.

I actually think the football ability of a lot of our players leaves a lot to be desired 

we have overpaid for transfers and probably overpaid in wages and given basically a year to long on most contracts

its desire we need to succeed on the pitch

57 minutes ago, cannable said:

In four years the squad has almost entirely changed. 

Eight of the fourteen players used yesterday have been promoted before. 

Mental toughness is just an excuse fans make. 

Was just about to post the exact same thing.

In four years we've had 4 managers and as you say the team has changed. Who played yesterday that played at Wembley?

Keogh and Bryson. Is that it?

Every year 21 teams aren't promoted

19 minutes ago, Dcfc10 said:

To many lightweights in that midfield and we go out and loan yes a  lightweight we will win games but to teams like Leeds  and in top six we will struggle. Get ready for another season in champioship.

Hughes most tackles in the division. Johnson lightweight?

We will find it harder against the teams at the top of the league? Hardly rocket science.

Long and short of it is we are not good enough for automatic promotion but probably just about good enough to challenge for a play off place.

Fans expecting us to go to Elland Road and turn over a team 4th in the league are living in dream land.

We are a nice footballing team but, it has to be said, very lightweight physically especially in midfield.

It's Steve's achilles heel, he doesn't seem to be able to see or address this 

You can never be successful with technically good small players but without any tough, battling winners. Its the balance that is the key.

Whenever we come up against teams who do have that balance ( Leeds last night, Middlesbro, Burnley and Hull in recent years) we always come up second best. 

The last time we had a successful promotion we had Powell, Carsley and Van deer Laan in midfield - they would absolutely pulverise our current lot .

Until that is rectified, we will not be going anywhere.

And it doesn't matter how strong mentally you are , you can't swim against the tide if you are not physically strong enough as well

7 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

We will find it harder against the teams at the top of the league? Hardly rocket science.

Long and short of it is we are not good enough for automatic promotion but probably just about good enough to challenge for a play off place.

Fans expecting us to go to Elland Road and turn over a team 4th in the league are living in dream land.

Did I say we should go and turn Leeds over I'm going on about the season we ain't dominating games in middle of park even when we went on that run we struggled. Ok u know better.

3 minutes ago, BobbyD said:

We are a nice footballing team but, it has to be said, very lightweight physically especially in midfield.

It's Steve's achilles heel, he doesn't seem to be able to see or address this 

You can never be successful with technically good small players but without any tough, battling winners. Its the balance that is the key.

Whenever we come up against teams who do have that balance ( Leeds last night, Middlesbro, Burnley and Hull in recent years) we always come up second best. 

The last time we had a successful promotion we had Powell, Carsley and Van deer Laan in midfield - they would absolutely pulverise our current lot .

Until that is rectified, we will not be going anywhere.

And it doesn't matter how strong mentally you are , you can't swim against the tide if you are not physically strong enough as well

Someone who makes sense :thumbsup:

I don't know the answer to that one but it is an interesting point. I don't think mental toughness is quite the right word but maybe it is, ifit means the ability to keep fighting for the whole game even though you are 2 goals down. The personal endeavour to chase the lost cause with 8 minutes to go. To stick your head into a dangerous place even though you are a goal to the good. The desire to make that gutsy tackle 2 mins from the end when you are on a yellow and thinking about next weeks big game ? Blood sweat and tears and not just the willingness to to expend them but to want to. When the bounce isn't favouring you, sticking your chin out and going again. In old fashioned language "bloody minded determination" ... It isn't kissing the badge on your shirt it's reaching in to the bucket of of **** and grabbing the bollo*c*s of a game and your self. perseverance, energy, courage and fight. 

no names, no pack drill but we have some players who do and some who don't. We need more of the former. 

11 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I think we could have won last night but too many had poor games. Don't like it but it happens! On the positive side we beat Leeds at home so we're 'even' for the season.

14 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Thing is G Star , 

Why do you think we are not not good enough ? What should we do about sorting that ? What would make us good enough ?

What do we need to do to be able to go to Elland road and win  ? After all , we have done it plenty of times in the recent past. 

I've said it many time before, we simple aren't mentally tough enough, the fact we haven't come back from a losing position to win a game in the league says that- everytime we have an important match we mess up totally, hull in the playoffs, Reading at home in 2015, the playoff final etc. Also when we do play badly, we seem to play really badly and cannot find a way out of it like yesterday, TBH it's been like this for as long as I can remember really. I don't know what the cause of it is, I mainly think it's the lack of a real captain to lead the team, or maybe it's something deeper down. We've become like Newcastle were and Sunderland are in the prem, something deep down is stopping us from having success, no matter who is in charge or who the playing staff are

Archived