Official: Tom Ince joins Huddersfield Town

Nuwtfly

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

The only problem is he shouldn't have to do it. People just keep making crap up and inventing conspiracy theories when we've been told from every source FFP isn't an issue.

fair play to you @ramblur if it was me I'd just say see previous/earlier post on the matter ??

It isn't an issue in currently as we are inside it. If we want to spend money then we are likely to be outside it, hence the sales 

57 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

I think a little perspective is needed now. Compare the prices of premier league players of late to this. 

Both Ince and Hughes have never shown any real talent above championship level. To want £20 million for Hughes is ridiculous, that's the going rate for a premier league player with experience. 

To get £11 million for Ince is definitely to Derby's advantage. This is a player who is not a youngster, his potential to improve is limited because of this and for a few million more you could probably buy a proven premier league winger. 

£19 million for two very good, but championship players based on a outlay of £5 million for both is a good deal in anyone's books. Football is a money game.

Arguably he is coming to his peak at 25 and his stats year on year would back this up. Also, name a proven premiership winger who you could get for the same price?

8 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Ramblur, thank you for this information. I'm just an ordinary fan trying to make sense of it all. I know nothing of the inner workings of the club and will gladly be corrected by those that do.

But if being under financial pressure to sell is the wrong conclusion to jump to, then why aren't the club taking a tougher stance and giving Rowett a stronger hand to play with? That's what a club in a fairly comfortable financial position would be doing.

Why the urgency? Why settle for such prices? If the plan is to sell and then reinvest, surely you'd be trying to extract as much value as you can out of each deal, especially given the inflated prices in the current market. I am sure every million counts to Rowett and we are at least £5-6 million short of what most people would expect from such sales.

It's only the beginning of July. Players may want to go but they are signed to contracts and so we don't owe the players anything but a willingness to consider offers if and when they come in. Player power is significant in modern football, but surely not to the extent that we hurriedly sign off on deals that appear not to be in the club's interests?

Under pressure or not, a combined £19 million for Ince and Hughes just seems alarmingly low at a time when Harry Maguire sets you back £17 million.

Maybe the prices we expect to get are unrealistic in comparison to the market,which is the true indicator of value? At the end of the day,the (perhaps) unpalatable truth is that 19 other Prem clubs either didn't want Will,or didn't want him at the price Watford paid.I don't buy into the suggestion that delaying might have brought others into the bidding. The media were all over the interest early doors,so every other club would have known the kind of price to outbid,yet it appears none came in.The same thing could be said about Tom,assuming no other interest materialises.

As to the perceived undue haste,then perhaps the negotiators thought Watford were unlikely to budge further,and we didn't want a player who might be unhappy around the group,when the manager will be trying to build up team spirit during pre season.Also it may allow us to move for other players,without risking losing out to others.

Whilst I was suggesting that we might not need sales to get the underlying expenditure (v income) in line before any incomings,I couldn't suggest with much conviction that we wouldn't need to sell before any more incomings. Early doors,Gary said that we'd have to work within FFP and would have to sell.However,I distinctly remember him saying that he might be able to bring a couple in irrespective,and so it turned out. Now if we were in financial trouble before any transactions,would Gary have been allowed to add to the 'mess' before any sales,which couldn't be guaranteed? 

5 minutes ago, RamBamFan said:

Yeah I got the Watkins' mixed up. Plus I don't know how you delete posts on here ?

You can't delete posts, only the boss can delete them, mods can only hide them from peasents posters view. :lol:

4 minutes ago, RamBamFan said:

Yeah I got the Watkins' mixed up. Plus I don't know how you delete posts on here ?

I don't think you can? You just get a few minutes to edit and then your wisdom, wit or waffle is preserved in posterity for everyone to have a pop at. 

It's a scary place and only the toughest survive!

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

I don't think you can? You just get a few minutes to edit and then your wisdom, wit or waffle is preserved in posterity for everyone to have a pop at. 

It's a scary place and only the toughest survive!

Today I have learnt a tough, but valuable lesson ?

Archived