George Thorne

DarkFruitsRam7

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, rcarso1 said:

I’ve watched Derby since 1964 and that applies to so many players who’ve played for us.You should have heard the fans when John McGovern and John O’Hare first arrived!! Wasn’t Vydra “a total waste of money!” last season for some?! As Jimmy Greaves once said,” it’s a funny old game!”⚽️?

My first season when they arrived.  Some never had the football knowledge to understand the importance of jmc.  Unless you could run about and tackle hard heh thee was no appreciation

I am genuinely worried about Thorne's contract situation at the minute - Would just be our luck to let him go on a free for him then to establish himself in a squad and become pivotal to a team again. Whilst leaving a gaping hole in our team. Give the man a new deal, even if only for a year or two just to get back on his feet and playing football. Surely it is a win win situation.

58 minutes ago, Mr Giggles said:

I am genuinely worried about Thorne's contract situation at the minute - Would just be our luck to let him go on a free for him then to establish himself in a squad and become pivotal to a team again. Whilst leaving a gaping hole in our team. Give the man a new deal, even if only for a year or two just to get back on his feet and playing football. Surely it is a win win situation.

Genuinely worried? Fantastic player but not something i would genuinely worry about. Only a game and all that.

38 minutes ago, Smyth_18 said:

Genuinely worried? Fantastic player but not something i would genuinely worry about. Only a game and all that.

When I woke up last Sunday morning I was unusually happy. Took me a while to work it out, but yep...it was the Villa game.

It's a game, but not ONLY a game, it's tribal and it's magnificent and it matters to people. Badminton is only a game.

George isn't ONLY a player, he's a top player at our level who can get bums off seats, he's an icon in a small way, he's our George. Similar to Will Hughes. I'd be choked if he goes.

2 hours ago, needles said:

When I woke up last Sunday morning I was unusually happy. Took me a while to work it out, but yep...it was the Villa game.

It's a game, but not ONLY a game, it's tribal and it's magnificent and it matters to people. Badminton is only a game.

George isn't ONLY a player, he's a top player at our level who can get bums off seats, he's an icon in a small way, he's our George. Similar to Will Hughes. I'd be choked if he goes.

My heart agrees with that 100% my head says commercially /injury wise  let him go .Glad I'm not GR/Mel.

We can’t help the contract situation, what will be will be - if he signs a new deal on reduced terms then great and if he doesn’t then we either weigh up offers for him in January or we use him until the end of the season then he either leaves on a free or stays if he is fully fit  and we can afford him as we may possibly be in the premiership and all the money that goes with that (I assume you can you have a contract that increases wages if promoted) 

3 hours ago, needles said:

Exactly. Hughes has gone and we're doing pretty well. Don't think we'd be any better if he stayed.

I love George and would love him to stay, but i'm sure we'd get on ok without him. Worrying about the possibility of him going is just crazy, as more than likely he won't.

57 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

Exact any contract to a player is gamble all footballers are only a tackle away from injury No such thing as injury prone 

No such thing as injury prone?

Yes there is lol!

Being injury prone has ruined lots of careers. Wilshere and Sturridge are two of the most recent injury prone players.

Ledley King only trained twice a week through his career due to him being prone to injuries!

1 minute ago, JoeDerby said:

Yes there is lol!

Being injury prone has ruined lots of careers. Wilshere and Sturridge are two of the most recent injury prone players.

Ledley King only trained twice a week through his career due to him being prone to injuries!

Dean Sturridge. Don't think he made more than 7 consecutive starts because of injuries. 

Maybe i made that up. @rynny will find out.

It doesn’t matter if he’s injury prone he’s George bloody Thorne and the bloke is a fantastic footballer and if his injuries are behind him which they hopefully are after being managed so well then he better be wearing the black and white of derby county 

47 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

Yes there is lol!

Paul McGrath was probably one of the most 'injury-prone' players of all time but his contribution to the clubs he played for was massive. Yes, had he been free of all serious injuries it could have been even greater but write off those players who sustain serious injury at your peril. Besides, treatment today is so much better than it was even 5 years ago.

1 hour ago, Norman said:

Dean Sturridge. Don't think he made more than 7 consecutive starts because of injuries. 

Maybe i made that up. @rynny will find out.

For us in the prem he managed it twice.

97-98 1st November 3-0 win against Arsenal (my favourite game at Pride Park) was the first of 8 consecutive games.

98-99 he played the first 9 games of the season

Couldn't tell you the promotion season and can't be arsed to check others :lol:

6 minutes ago, rynny said:

For us in the prem he managed it twice.

97-98 1st November 3-0 win against Arsenal (my favourite game at Pride Park) was the first of 8 consecutive games.

98-99 he played the first 9 games of the season

Couldn't tell you the promotion season and can't be arsed to check others :lol:

Didn't know where to start. Thank you :thumbsup:.

I often watch the Arsenal game on YouTube. Deano's finish, chipping it over Seaman is one of my favourite goals. Just because of the defence Arsenal had at the time and how we ripped through them.

3 hours ago, JoeDerby said:

Yes there is lol!

So Johnathon Douglas decides to take Thorne off at the knee does that make him injury prone Bent has Four months out injuring himself taking a penalty suppose that makes him injury prone If going to judge a player by how much playing time he misses then definitely makes Hughes injury prone You would have thought Watford would have picked that up or at least their insurer's 

Archived