The Resurgence

Day

The Resurgence  

189 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted Pearce, as he's been the real difference.

But I think the main point with all 4 of those players, is that anyone who's given a run of successive games (often in their preferred position) and confidence from their coach will deliver. 

Not always the case, but all the best teams, historically, have had a settled team, playing with an over all knowledge of who's around them and what their role is. You only have to see players like Russell and Bryson who can sometimes be maligned by us as fans for not being amazing instantly (because we've seen them score a worldly or Hat-trick against Forest a couple of years ago) 

But then after a run of 3-4 games can really start to hit form.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted Johnson as he has had to do a job that he had not done before and has done very well playing just in front of the opposition centre forwards scored twice as well!

bent -  just doing a forward role

Baird - doing what we brought him in to do

pearce - yes absolutely doing his job and what he can do, quite rightly didn't get a chance last season due to others good form. Two promotions under his belt whilst captain of Reading and he scores goals but it is what he has always done

johnson has re-invented himself so he deserves the credit 

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

Superb assessment Sir. 

Thanks! 

I dint want to appear negative about Johnson but it's hard to bite my tongue when I see people getting carried away. 

I'm certain that if we had Johnson as DM with a back four of Forsyth, Buxton, Keogh, Christie then we'd be seeing the end of season 2014/15 type performances.

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

At a home game {can't recall which one...but possibly under Clement} he got some stick from some fans in the East Stand following a mis-placed pass (think he was playing right midfield) and instead of trying to win the ball back he reacted by throwing his arms around and shouting back to the lower section of crowd...he didn't look good and I think, regardless of whether you think fans should or shouldn't single out players, it turned a lot of people off him. Players should let their football do the talking. I'm not sure if he has ever referred to it in an interview, but I think it's gone now and that pass V the Trees has probably re-opened everybody's eyes to the fact that he is actually a very good footballer when played in his propoer position (R-FB). He is a bit like John Eustace...no frills, but a very good brain and does the honest things with no fuss. So, he's forgiven. 

I don't recall it being a misplaced pass, I do recall him taking no notice of the idiotic cries from the East Stand iliterati to pump it forward. As I remember there was some sort of gesture with his arm, after which some of the ****** claimed that he swore at the crowd. Yeah, right!! as if they could hear what he said.

There was nothing to forgive him for, just the fools being foolish.

Had to plump for Pearce, the other options I knew were decent players.

The way Pearce didn't get a look in at all last season, I'd assumed he'd be on his way this summer. Instead he's become a vital part of the team, it's a fantastic turnaround in his fortunes and all due to him plugging away and seizing his chance when it came.

The fact he's keeping a decent player out, rather than being played through lack of options, shows how well he's done.

The fact he's seems a bloody good chap is a bonus too!

Just now, reveldevil said:

Had to plump for Pearce, the other options I knew were decent players.

The way Pearce didn't get a look in at all last season, I'd assumed he'd be on his way this summer. Instead he's become a vital part of the team, it's a fantastic turnaround in his fortunes and all due to him plugging away and seizing his chance when it came.

The fact he's keeping a decent player out, rather than being played through lack of options, shows how well he's done.

The fact he's seems a bloody good chap is a bonus too!

Seems to work very well with Keogh as a partnership to boot.

Like with Bucko, the partnership seems to be more than the sum of the parts at the moment where as with Shackell it was the sum of it's pretty decent parts.

2 minutes ago, bcnram said:

I don't recall it being a misplaced pass, I do recall him taking no notice of the idiotic cries from the East Stand iliterati to pump it forward. As I remember there was some sort of gesture with his arm, after which some of the ****** claimed that he swore at the crowd. Yeah, right!! as if they could hear what he said.

There was nothing to forgive him for, just the fools being foolish.

You are wrong, it happened directly in front of me. He made a rude gesture and told someone to F off. You are right he got abused but shouldn't have responded the way he did. It's not a hanging offence but was out of order. Nothing to forgive, I agree. But still shouldn't have happened 

I felt Baird got a rough deal at the start of last season under Clement. I seem to remember when he signed there was a notion he'd be a new John Eustace figure, then Clement made him captain and we were dull and not winning at the start of the season and got the treatment.

It's the one thing i hate about our fans - not the quietness at times, not the general boos, not the ridiculous expectations at times which are all maddening in their own right, it's when a player gets singled out and scapegoated as if they personally are doing it on purpose out of spite. 

I bet Gary Teale still has mental scars from his time at Derby....

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I felt Baird got a rough deal at the start of last season under Clement. I seem to remember when he signed there was a notion he'd be a new John Eustace figure, then Clement made him captain and we were dull and not winning at the start of the season and got the treatment.

It's the one thing i hate about our fans - not the quietness at times, not the general boos, not the ridiculous expectations at times which are all maddening in their own right, it's when a player gets singled out and scapegoated as if they personally are doing it on purpose out of spite. 

I bet Gary Teale still has mental scars from his time at Derby....

Agree, it does seem to be a thing that derby fans do, go after a scape goat.

Im never one for going after somone who is new at the club. Id much rather have a go at someone who can produce the odd goal but on the whole cant be arsed and has little end product. Give me a hard worker over a luxary player anyday.

Prior to the current run, I would have rathered 10 chris bairds and 0 Tom Inces.

Give me Darryl powells over no end product kinkladze anyday

I have gone for Bent because he is playing in a way he has never played in his life, and to change at his age is impressive and shows just how good a coach McClaren is.   

So my choice is out of respect of Bent for trying a new way of playing at his age and respect to McClaren in getting him to change his style. 

2 hours ago, Doodle said:

You are wrong, it happened directly in front of me. He made a rude gesture and told someone to F off. You are right he got abused but shouldn't have responded the way he did. It's not a hanging offence but was out of order. Nothing to forgive, I agree. But still shouldn't have happened 

He was well away from the touchline, I congratulate you on your hearing. If by chance he did happen to say F off, then so what? He is human, if people cannot take it and get offended, then they shouldn't give it. I bet not one of those who were abusing him would do it to his face.

Pearce for me but I'd buy them all a drink. Pearce has been a colossus in the heart of the defence, Brad has shown us the player we signed and what a player, Baird has shown that in his best position he can more than do a job and Darren has looked sharp and is amongst the goals again.

Quite simply, chuffed as **** with the lot of them.

2 hours ago, 86 points said:

Pearce for me but I'd buy them all a drink. Pearce has been a colossus in the heart of the defence, Brad has shown us the player we signed and what a player, Baird has shown that in his best position he can more than do a job and Darren has looked sharp and is amongst the goals again.

Quite simply, chuffed as **** with the lot of them.

Couldn't put it any better, voted for Pearce but again couldn't put it any better. 

On 18.12.2016 at 15:04, Sparkle said:

I voted Johnson as he has had to do a job that he had not done before and has done very well playing just in front of the opposition centre forwards scored twice as well!

bent -  just doing a forward role

Baird - doing what we brought him in to do

pearce - yes absolutely doing his job and what he can do, quite rightly didn't get a chance last season due to others good form. Two promotions under his belt whilst captain of Reading and he scores goals but it is what he has always done

johnson has re-invented himself so he deserves the credit 

I went for Johnson too. Change in his game has been so drastic, so it just has to be appreciated. But IMO same could be said about Bent, he is more complete forward than before and team is really reaping the rewards.

Pearce for me has been inspirational. He didn't really have a chance last year but once he got the chance this year he's grabbed it with a vengeance. 

Bent and baird have proved me wrong for writing them both off as past it. Johnson was always someone we knew could play , thank goodness he's got his mojo back. 

Archived