When Thorne comes back...

JarodyDCFC

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He'll have to play his way in now. Johnson has made that position his. He's not going to get dropped for an off day. Mac isn't like that. You're allowed to fook up. 

I think Weimann is playing himself into starting ahead of Russell but if Russell picks up then Mac will stick with him. 

The worst time we had under Mac was when he started punishing players quicker. He chopped and changed the back 4 so much they were all a nervous mess. 

Competition is good. Fear for your place can make players nervous though if you go with the "play well, keep the shirt" approach. 

You like to think you can earn a bit of credit and get chance to bury any bad form

I was going to start a thread but this one will do. Mac said in the post-match interview that "[Johnson] is becoming a focal part of our team". This suggests that there's no need to rush George back, and he's not going to walk straight back into the side either.

Isn't it brilliant that the GT discussion has been a second thought for a while due to BJ's performances. 

This place would have been in melt down if it hadn't gone well.

All props to Bradley for making the position his. He has done a brilliant job and the fans have rightly recognised this. Even with his first wayward pass the fans didn't get on his back and he went on to have a stormer. 

Great for us that George can take his time getting fit and potentially give us an even stronger bench later in the season. 

2 minutes ago, Bridgford Ram said:

Couldn't they both play giving Hughes more license to hurt the opposition?

I actually think they could. Its not like either BJ or GT is a CDM who cannot get forward and create themselves to support Hughes.

Will be interesting to see what happens. Cant see GT offeering any sort of competition for places until Feb at the earliest now though.

4 minutes ago, Bridgford Ram said:

Couldn't they both play giving Hughes more license to hurt the opposition?

In a 4-2-3-1 type of thing? That would be interesting to see with Johnson and Thorne in the 2. I guess though Mac will stick to what works for him...

3 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I actually think they could. Its not like either BJ or GT is a CDM who cannot get forward and create themselves to support Hughes.

Will be interesting to see what happens. Cant see GT offeering any sort of competition for places until Feb at the earliest now though.

We saw them playing together last season and it didn't work well, Thorne and Johnson often got in each others way.

I like the combination we have at the moment and the results/performances justify sticking with it.  

In my opinion GT is the best passer of the football we have. He also has a terrific shot.

If fit, he would be a must pick and the formation would be tailored around him.

Currently, we have three good players but they don't look like a unit. You rarely see them passing to and supporting each other. We don't have the slick style we've had in previous seasons. GT's zippy passing provides that momentum.

However, unless his medical team has done miracles I'm afraid I can't see him getting back to full fitness. I really hope I'm wrong because he is class.

5 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

In my opinion GT is the best passer of the football we have. He also has a terrific shot.

If fit, he would be a must pick and the formation would be tailored around him.

Currently, we have three good players but they don't look like a unit. You rarely see them passing to and supporting each other. We don't have the slick style we've had in previous seasons. GT's zippy passing provides that momentum.

However, unless his medical team has done miracles I'm afraid I can't see him getting back to full fitness. I really hope I'm wrong because he is class.

Agree, i am concerned this injury seems to be taking longer than thought. It was said about 12 weeks and now we are 6 months later.

Im hoping its just my impatience to see him and nothing more sinister. I'd rather him not play at all this season if it meant getting a full quality season out of him next year.

Hes a quality player, i really want to see more of him.

Archived