Will Hughes turns down contract offer?

Cam the Ram

4 minutes ago, SKRam said:

Surprised at the vitriol towards Daz. God help us if we'd have lost and not won how many on the bounce now?! I'm happy to lose count!!  I've liked some of his posts as I get what he's saying. I'm not hearing members of my family( Blue Mooners) or any Man City/ Utd fans at work  asking about Will Hughes and what he's worth. The only comment  I've had is from Jeff Hendricks uncle, a work colleague,who said he's getting a huge amount of praise and hype but is still to produce it week in week out.( Hughes not Hendrick!) He's had an awful injury and that takes some recovery. I'm a fan of Hughes too but think and hope there's a lot more to come.He can't understand the hype. I don't get to many games these days sadly but I think it's great there's the passion about individual players and we all want a successful team with quality players. Daz has said numerous times he rates Hughes but he's still very young so let's hope he continues to develop and does it with a Derby team with the likes of Sir Brad and Incey.

Mind you, you did ruin it all by having Keane as your favourite player Daz which tempts me to delete all my likes for you:D

Not sure how much hate mail I'll get for not suggesting Hughes is the best thing since etc etc but I can take it.... sometimes 

Did Hendrick's uncle really say that? Oh the irony. After playing a blinder at the weekend cue Jeffs 7 average games.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, angieram said:

I also thought Bradley Johnson and Tom Ince were immense yesterday but that doesn't take away from Hughes' performance. 

I hate it when they don't tweet properly.

Add 4 tackles there and it would look better. By the way, Johnson managed four tackles too, rest of all the players had 2 or less. (According to whoscored)

4 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Did Hendrick's uncle really say that? Oh the irony. After playing a blinder at the weekend cue Jeffs 7 average games.

Haha ,yeah one or two interesting stories too but I promised not to compromise our conversations!! 

16 minutes ago, cannable said:

Danny Butterfield, right back, played as an auxiliary striker once and bagged a hat-trick

You're right there, however, I just checked his Wiki page and Jacob was indeed, loaned out to the Palace a few years ago. So I actually wasn't tying myself up in knots! :-)

Well, he's certainly not letting any contract talks affect his commitment, good man.

Steve McClaren has revealed how Will Hughes, broken hand in a cast, knocked on the door of his office two hours before Derby County's clash with rivals Nottingham Forest and said 'I want to play'.

Hughes had broken a bone in his hand during training three days earlier and he was a serious doubt for the Championship fixture at Pride Park.

"It was very worrying on the Thursday when he went down," said McClaren.

"It was more worrying when the extent of the injury was known, and even more of a concern when we saw the cast he had to wear.

"He actually didn't train very well on Friday with it [the cast] and he was a big doubt.

"But I have to say that Will two hours before kick off on the Sunday came into my office and said 'I want to play, I want to start'."

Hughes started, played 76 minutes and scored the third goal in Derby's 3-0 victory over Forest.

McClaren is full of priase for the attitude of the midfielder and says the 21-year-old is maturing and becoming more robust as a player.

"In today's game we talk about being robust and it is something young players have to develop," said McClaren.

"Max Lowe is going through that at this present moment. Will is a bit older than Max and he has been through that, and he has demonstrated he is maturing. He is a lot more robust since I was last here."

Read more at http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/why-will-hughes-knocked-on-steve-mcclaren-s-door-two-hours-before-derby-county-faced-forest/story-29980470-detail/story.html#UwBOkf5AF6T9RUWD.99

Shameless clickbait front the DET there. 

I do wonder @Daz_The_Ram whether Hughes is just not the type of player you were and aspired to be. I'm not convinced he'll ever dominate games through physicality and force of nature week in week out. He has clearly worked very hard on being more combative though and can definitely mix it. I think you do him an injustice to suggest he's a passenger, I think he works incredibly hard.

He'll always be a slightly more continental type of midfielder, he knits stuff together, tends to play the 'right' pass and protects possession.  As such I don't think you notice his direct impact on the game. Not suggesting you don't know what you're looking at by any stretch but if you want Hughes to be the complete midfielder I think you'll always be disappointed. He's still got a way to go but for a 21 year old his reading of the game and pass appreciation is the best at the club. With experience that will be an ever more important thing and he'll dictate games more often but more in terms of tempo and bringing others onto the game. I used to play up front and I would have LOVED to play with Hughes. I doubt you'll find many of the current squad who wouldn't want him in the side. I think you'll see him go to many more levels over the rest of the season. 

10 hours ago, RodleyRam said:

Shameless clickbait front the DET there. 

I do wonder @Daz_The_Ram whether Hughes is just not the type of player you were and aspired to be. I'm not convinced he'll ever dominate games through physicality and force of nature week in week out. He has clearly worked very hard on being more combative though and can definitely mix it. I think you do him an injustice to suggest he's a passenger, I think he works incredibly hard.

He'll always be a slightly more continental type of midfielder, he knits stuff together, tends to play the 'right' pass and protects possession.  As such I don't think you notice his direct impact on the game. Not suggesting you don't know what you're looking at by any stretch but if you want Hughes to be the complete midfielder I think you'll always be disappointed. He's still got a way to go but for a 21 year old his reading of the game and pass appreciation is the best at the club. With experience that will be an ever more important thing and he'll dictate games more often but more in terms of tempo and bringing others onto the game. I used to play up front and I would have LOVED to play with Hughes. I doubt you'll find many of the current squad who wouldn't want him in the side. I think you'll see him go to many more levels over the rest of the season. 

Great post mate, and I take a lot of what you are saying on board. I must say, I am probably hyper critical of him because I do genuinely want him to fulfil it. 

Another thing to based on that, and in response to my own aspirations, I really wanted to be Roy Keane, or that type ... :-) which naturally of course, leads me to pour scorn when the vast majority get over excited. Fair enough? Hey, I can imagine he'd be a centre forwards dream. Don't get me wrong, I like the boy in the side, although it doesn't come across that way ... I am just I suppose, a bit like my old Dad was towards me ... always wanting more because i know it is there, or at least it can be with a bit more work. Call me a perfectionist.. ;-)

David Beckham is quoted by the way, as saying that his old man only ever gave him praise once he earned his 100th England cap! And you guys think I'm harsh?? :-)

47 minutes ago, Daz_The_Ram said:

Great post mate, and I take a lot of what you are saying on board. I must say, I am probably hyper critical of him because I do genuinely want him to fulfil it. 

Another thing to based on that, and in response to my own aspirations, I really wanted to be Roy Keane, or that type ... :-) which naturally of course, leads me to pour scorn when the vast majority get over excited. Fair enough? Hey, I can imagine he'd be a centre forwards dream. Don't get me wrong, I like the boy in the side, although it doesn't come across that way ... I am just I suppose, a bit like my old Dad was towards me ... always wanting more because i know it is there, or at least it can be with a bit more work. Call me a perfectionist.. ;-)

David Beckham is quoted by the way, as saying that his old man only ever gave him praise once he earned his 100th England cap! And you guys think I'm harsh?? :-)

Fair play mate. You're a mardy arse because you care!!!

I think Will is going to be integral to our season. Whether he becomes world class I am doubtful.  However, enjoy him while he's here because I think after this season he'll be at a higher level. Hopefully that will be with us but whatever happens I expect him to be playing prem next year.

My dad never pushed me at all and told me to go out and enjoy it. I really wish he'd given me a bit more drive, I'm sure I could have played at a higher level. No matter what they do your parents **** you up!!

48 minutes ago, Daz_The_Ram said:

The thing with Hughes is that right or wrong a lot of his work goes under the radar. If he scored 8-10 goals a season he probably wouldn't be here. Look at Hendrick, I really like him as a player but having watched them both since their breakthrough into the first team I can say without hesitation I would take Hughes over Hendrick every day of the week. As has been said it depends what stats you look at assist/goals aren't always a fair reflection. 

27 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

The thing with Hughes is that right or wrong a lot of his work goes under the radar. If he scored 8-10 goals a season he probably wouldn't be here. Look at Hendrick, I really like him as a player but having watched them both since their breakthrough into the first team I can say without hesitation I would take Hughes over Hendrick every day of the week. As has been said it depends what stats you look at assist/goals aren't always a fair reflection. 

I don't think you're far wrong. I'll back you up about Hendrick all day long by the way. I quite often thought that Hendrick's first touch was a tad on the poor side. One thing that could never be levelled at Hughes.

10 minutes ago, Daz_The_Ram said:

I don't think you're far wrong. I'll back you up about Hendrick all day long by the way. I quite often thought that Hendrick's first touch was a tad on the poor side. One thing that could never be levelled at Hughes.

I think at times Jeff lacked a footballing brain. Which is probably why they suited each other. Wills style is a lot more refined and subtle. Hughes weight of pass too is one of his best attributes as well as his touch and balance. 

On 14/12/2016 at 11:24, Tombo said:

Did you used to play mate? You never said...

Broke his leg in a cup final, you know.

Oh, wait. That was somebody else who never shuts up about it.

:p

Archived