Man prefix

PistoldPete2

I mean things like man-bag and man-flu. I hate them all. 

I dont know where or when they started, but it has to stop. Man bag is quite harmless but it's literally spread .. In fact they now use a word man-spreading. Which means men spread their legs because of the dangly bits they have between their legs, so what?

the sexes are different of course and some of these things may describe different phenomenon. Men and women have different immune systems so viruses will affect them differently , hence the man flu phenomenon.

but there is a fundamental sexist undertone to it which if it were used in a similar way Against women would cause an absolute outcry. 

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, PistoldPete2 said:

I dont know where or when they started, but it has to stop. Man bag is quite harmless but it's literally spread .. In fact they now use a word man-spreading. Which means men spread their legs because of the dangly bits they have between their legs, so what?

the sexes are different of course and some of these things may describe different phenomenon. Men and women have different immune systems so viruses will affect them differently , hence the man flu phenomenon.

but there is a fundamental sexist undertone to it which if it were used in a similar way Against women would cause an absolute outcry. 

These are the end times.

2 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Are you now mansplaining the prefix man to all our female members?

45 minutes ago, David said:

Man flu is actually quite a serious virus, I have been close to death many times, standard flu that women have is nothing 

The flu is the same virus, but what makes us feel ill is the immune system fighting the virus through the production of white blood cells. Men's immune systems fight more aggressively which is why they feel more ill than women. 

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

Are you now mansplaining the prefix man to all our female members?

Mansplaining is a " word" I have discovered today, and although I don't fully understand what it means it sounds the most offensive of all. 

There are are rude and arrogant people of both genders. It is not by any stretch of imagination a  uniquely male trait. 

39 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Mansplaining is a " word" I have discovered today, and although I don't fully understand what it means it sounds the most offensive of all. 

There are are rude and arrogant people of both genders. It is not by any stretch of imagination a  uniquely male trait. 

I agree - but men can sometimes be condescending towards women. Not all the times that I've seen the word used fall into that category though. 

2 hours ago, StringerBell said:

Women have a higher tolerance for pain don't they? So the idea that men might experience their symptoms to a more intense degree might actually have some scientific merit. That's what I say anyway.

Very grey area, scientific studies seem to suggest not, but those really depend on how the patient themselves is reporting the pain.  Also there is confusion between pain threshold (sensitivity to pain) and pain tolerance (ability to withstand pain), Also some people suggest, that when tests are carried out in the lab, men when asked, may feel the need to deny they feel pain more than women do. So good luck to anyone trying to get to the bottom of it.  

Terms like mansplaining and manspreading are feminists scraping the barrel because they've ran out of things to complain about.

This one made me laugh. No prefix, but similar to manspreading, this new way that men are misbehaving on the train was pushed by this person

http://metro.co.uk/2015/11/03/pole-hogging-is-the-new-manspreading-and-were-so-so-tired-of-it-5478249/

"the epidemic that just shows, yet again, that men think they have more of a right than women to public spaces." :mellow:

How does this get published? 

Publish this Metro, I dare you - "the epidemic that just shows, yet again, that Jews think they have more of a right than us to public spaces."

Embarassingly for her, somebody in the comments section pointed out that this was already a thing 

http://collegecandy.com/2014/04/24/12-people-holding-the-pole-with-their-butts-on-public-transportation/

and that the photos here appear to show women do it more often. Oops.

6 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Very grey area, scientific studies seem to suggest not, but those really depend on how the patient themselves is reporting the pain.  Also there is confusion between pain threshold (sensitivity to pain) and pain tolerance (ability to withstand pain), Also some people suggest, that when tests are carried out in the lab, men when asked, may feel the need to deny they feel pain more than women do. So good luck to anyone trying to get to the bottom of it.  

Damn. I always liked that convenient excuse I had for moaning.

On ‎19‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 13:38, GboroRam said:

I agree - but men can sometimes be condescending towards women. Not all the times that I've seen the word used fall into that category though. 

I didn't know what it was until I got accused of it online.

The irony was that the bloke who accused me of it was the girl's boyfriend :lol:

Needless to say I wasn't mansplaining anything, I was simply explaining my point to someone online who had happened to be a woman. In those cases it just becomes yet another way to shut down an argument :(

Until I hear a bloke say to a mate "'ere, I haven't had a good kick in the b0ll0cks for a couple of years, would you oblige"? I'd go with women having a higher pain threshold than men. If we had to give birth I think families would only consist of one child. 

There's nothing like watching your Mrs give birth to admit to yourself she's hard as. 

Archived