The Men who Made the Rams

Ellafella

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 17 November 2016 at 13:22, Ellafella said:

1385630346.jpg

http://www.derbyshirelife.co.uk/people/local-people/derby_county_fc_the_men_who_made_the_rams_1_3227057

I have to admit I am a sucker for this kind of historical stuff so humour me ladies and gentlemen...this is of course the Rams Team who played the first ever Derby County home game back in 1885...see the link for the story that appeared some time back in Peter Seddon's very excellent book. It's taken in front of the Derbyshire County Cricket Club old pavillion (ironic that Derby County was set up as a way of funding the building of a new cricket pavillion at the Racecourse Ground). I suspect they did not play a typical 4-3-3 that day, but more likely 6 up front (as was the fashion). Not sure either if they played a passing game (oe "in combination") as the Victorian gentlemen liked to refer to it as. I also love the story about  "...Old Etonian gloriously named John Barrington Trapnell Chevallier (1857-1940) – in Derby County’s first ever encounter with Nottingham Forest, on ‘Reds’ territory in January 1885, centre-forward ‘J.B.T.’ bagged a hat-trick in a 6-1 humiliation. A Forest spokesman afterwards lamely blamed the strong wind, an excuse the Derby Telegraph labelled a ‘ludicrous assertion’. Thus the famous rivalry was early-conceived."

It's not my favourite picture of Derby County...I love the one that hangs in the foyer of the iPro - the one that is believed to be the first ever Derby County team. Is it possible to embed a picture that isn't part of a URL?

Anyway, if you haven't read Peter Seddon's book I can heartily recommend it; you'll get to read about characters like goalkeeper Edward Farquharson who somewhat carelessly perished falling from a train in India. 

Yeah, and it would have been 6-0 against the scum if that Chevallier hadn't been running around like a headless chicken failing to stop the cross. He's useless. Don't know why he keeps on getting picked for match after match. Covered in sweat at the end of the match and could hardly speak properly. His hattrick was lucky. Two of the goals just blown in by the wind.

He knows what I think anyway. Booed him off at the end. That'll make him buck his ideas up a bit.

On 11/17/2016 at 18:20, eddie said:

You'd better ask the Memsahib.

Frank and Walter Raulstone were her great great uncles.

1385630346.jpg

Walter Roulstone is the chap standing on the extreme right. 

The first bowler-hatted chap is none other than William Morley, the Rams' founder who worked as a clerk at Derby Midland Railways and who hailed from Sneinton in Nottingham (so Ironic!!). 

3,000 fans saw the Rams (actually the "Chocolates" then) lose 2-1 to WBA. They also went on a run of no league wins in the next 9 games, losing 8 consecutively. 

47 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

1385630346.jpg

Walter Roulstone is the chap standing on the extreme right. 

The first bowler-hatted chap is none other than William Morley, the Rams' founder who worked as a clerk at Derby Midland Railways and who hailed from Sneinton in Nottingham (so Ironic!!). 

3,000 fans saw the Rams (actually the "Chocolates" then) lose 2-1 to WBA. They also went on a run of no league wins in the next 9 games, losing 8 consecutively. 

Hah! Must be  why booing is such an integral part of the rams genetic make up.

Is one of those gentlemen Paul jewells ancestor ? 

Archived