POLL: Christmas... Turkey? Is it vital?

Mostyn6

is Turkey the "must have" for your Christmas dinner?  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We used to alternate each year between Xmas at home (with Turkey) and going out for Xmas dinner. For a few years we used to go to the Mogul on Green Lane and have curry. A lovely quiet, yet surprisingly festive atmosphere, but the saddest thing of all was that the bloke who used to run Alf James joke shop was always in there. Eating Xmas curry on his own :(

Then we fancied a change (and a pun) and went to the Turkish restaurant above the Fish Market for a couple of times. That was always packed out and a brilliant afternoon

Then that place closed down and we stopped doing it as it got hard to find somewhere open.

2 years ago we saw that the big Curry place next to Rollerwold was open for Xmas dinner, so we booked in there and it was an utter nightmare. The place was rammed full of Chad's most obese chavvy people, literally stuffing their pikey faces full of everything and anything while their kids ran riot around the whole gaff. Needless to say we won't be doing that again

Turkey at home this year again

6 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

I mean we didn't know if we did or if we didn't ....:(

If you don't eat meat like some of us don't, then I can guarantee you didn't eat horse, donkey - anyway you can see the ones that have they are the people working around with hay in their pockets and sound like this....

3 hours ago, jono said:

Yup Turkey here. I love the dark meat from round the legs .. We cook a ham too and then "afters" meat sarnies, pickled onions cheese and a Christmas movie.  

I can't eat the dark meat, it's just too strong fer me, I'll take the ham though, I love to try different glazes, seen one done with marmalade and ginger which I'm debating whether or not to do.

Just now, ladyram said:

I can't eat the dark meat, it's just too strong fer me, I'll take the ham though, I love to try different glazes, seen one done with marmalade and ginger which I'm debating whether or not to do.

<patiently awaits invite> :ph34r:

6 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

<patiently awaits invite> :ph34r:

Actually, I'm not cooking Christmas dinner again this year, I think I'm going to miss doing it. Strange that eh, cos every time I do it I get frazzled :lol:

8 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Great and easy glaze for a ham/gammon.

4  tbsp spoons of honey, 1 tbsp spoon dark soy sauce and 1/2 teaspoon of dried chilli flakes.

Delicious.

Just found this, its nigellas of course ;) 

350g chunky ginger preserve (or orange marmalade) 

2 tbsp hot English mustard 

100g soft dark brown sugar 

1/2 tsp dried cloves. 

mix all the ingredients together.

After your ham is cooked, trim off the skin, leaving a thin layer of fat, chuck on the glaze (don't fanny about scoring it) and put it in the hot oven for 20 mins. 

Bung it on a carving board... et voila. 

And you could alus serve it cold with yer turkey cuts.

6 minutes ago, Boycie said:

That's why you been stood down Canny Fraddock.

It wasn't my fault the parsnips refused to give up their raw state! 

:lol:

On 13/11/2016 at 18:05, Mostyn6 said:

I find Turkey too dry. I like enough meat to make my heart stop (oo-er), so prefer something a bit more succulent and tender.

Arguably its more to do with Charles Dickens having Scrooge send the Cratchits a massive Turkey in A Christmas Carol. They eat Goose elsewhere in the book but Scrooge decides to send them a nice foreign bird with his newfound generosity. 

Since then, we've traditionalised it. 

On 13/11/2016 at 21:27, reveldevil said:

Twelve non - meat courses,

including raw fish in onions, fish in tomato, battered fish, breaded fish, fish with peppers, smoked fish, beetroot soup and stuffed pasta with mushrooms!

Lucky we don't have too many veggies on this forum or they'd have certainly called you out on this :lol:

10 hours ago, ladyram said:

Once you know the formula it's quite easy to concoct your own glaze:

Something sweet - honey/ brown sugar/ jam/ golden syrup/ treacle;

Something sharp - fruit juice/ vinegar;

Something spicy - ginger/ cinnamon/ pepper/ chilli/ mustard/ wasabi/ horseradish;

Something umami (not strictly necessary, but can add a nice depth of flavour if not overdone) - soy sauce/ marmite/ tomato puree.

Use your imagination. melt together, taste, adjust to your taste. Never failed me yet!

Archived