Will Hughes - Where will the future take him?

RamsPolls

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, europia said:

Over rated player, in my opinion. Which I am entitled to, but thanks anyway...

depends who's opinion you're listening to. I personally think he's quite steady, very energetic, committed, has enough quality and variety in passing (albeit nowhere near Will's vision), and can score a winner every now and then.

Is he my favourite player? No.

Has he still got a lot to learn? Yes.

But he's way ahead of Will Hughes in every sense of the midfield world.

12 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

depends who's opinion you're listening to. I personally think he's quite steady, very energetic, committed, has enough quality and variety in passing (albeit nowhere near Will's vision), and can score a winner every now and then.

Comparing Will to most of those English players is like comparing a beautiful ballerina performing majestically to Swan Lake with dad-dancing at a wedding after 12 pints of Bass.

imo.

3 hours ago, SkeggyRam said:

how many of them could play cdm cm and cam at 21?

Can Will? 

CDM and CM (pairing) are two positions that Will isn't good at playing IMO. With this squad anyway. 

Arguably he doesn't score/assist enough for a CAM either, yet he's so much better in an advanced role. 

I don't think it's as simple as "Can he play X position". He fits well here, especially in the 433 and the role we ask of him. He's a very good fit for Derby County and currently I think we're a good fit for him. I think he'll sign a new contract. 

It's silly to compare Will Hughes with a bunch of established internationals in established Premier League teams.

You will never see the best of Will Hughes until he has good players around him.

At Derby, he sometimes looks to be a pearl amongst swine. In a really good side, I think he will be a diamond. He's the most naturally gifted player I have seen in a Derby shirt in a long time.

8 minutes ago, eddie said:

It's silly to compare Will Hughes with a bunch of established internationals in established Premier League teams.

You will never see the best of Will Hughes until he has good players around him.

At Derby, he sometimes looks to be a pearl amongst swine. In a really good side, I think he will be a diamond. He's the most naturally gifted player I have seen in a Derby shirt for a long time.

I think u've hit the nail on the head there. His footballing brain is far more advanced than the players currently around him. Hopefully we can get him to the Prem and surround him with players on his wavelength. This should theoretically improve his consistency. 

I really like Hughesy. He's our most talented player and only 21 and just missed a year out. He's a joy to watch when he's on his game. Handled correctly and with the right attitude he ought to end up at the very top. However, I think people over egg things a bit. 

He was excellent for 60 of 90 minutes on Saturday but I've seen little else to be enthralled by otherwise this season. I see people excusing him based on the manager etc but not giving other players that same credit. Because opinions are often agenda led. 

I disagree that Butterfield is Hughes-lite too. They aren't the same sort of player. One likes to control things and play with calmness, then explodes from nowhere, very much an impact player, a match winner. The other wants to run the game, plays much quicker in feet and mind and is more of a playmaker. 

Together they and a holding midfielder should be the cream of the crop at this level. Saturday showed us a glimpse of that.

We are lucky to be blessed with such talent. I hope Will stays forever. No interest in putting figures on him. I just hope Saturday ends up being more than a glimpse, more like a pre cursor for the season ahead.

1 hour ago, eddie said:

At Derby, he sometimes looks to be a pearl amongst swine. In a really good side, I think he will be a diamond. He's the most naturally gifted player I have seen in a Derby shirt in a long time.

100% agree. Best post on this thread. 

24 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

I really like Hughesy. He's our most talented player and only 21 and just missed a year out. He's a joy to watch when he's on his game. Handled correctly and with the right attitude he ought to end up at the very top. However, I think people over egg things a bit. 

He was excellent for 60 of 90 minutes on Saturday but I've seen little else to be enthralled by otherwise this season. I see people excusing him based on the manager etc but not giving other players that same credit. Because opinions are often agenda led. 

I disagree that Butterfield is Hughes-lite too. They aren't the same sort of player. One likes to control things and play with calmness, then explodes from nowhere, very much an impact player, a match winner. The other wants to run the game, plays much quicker in feet and mind and is more of a playmaker. 

Together they and a holding midfielder should be the cream of the crop at this level. Saturday showed us a glimpse of that.

We are lucky to be blessed with such talent. I hope Will stays forever. No interest in putting figures on him. I just hope Saturday ends up being more than a glimpse, more like a pre cursor for the season ahead.

Which one of these descriptions is Butterfield? I dont mind Butterfield and think he is a decent player at this level, but we arent going up with him and Hughes as the advanced 2 in midfield. Hughes is top draw and the best around for me. We would be much better off with a box to box player in the Hendrick mould alongside Hughes. I dont think Bryson is the answer anymore. Butterfield off the bench as an option is fine, but he isnt top class. Really poor defensively late in games recently too. Lazy against Wolves and Leeds resulting in us getting over ran in midfield late on.

One of the best players to ever play for Derby.

He's probably the most technically gifted player we've ever had.

He models himself on Iniesta and its a huge compliment to the kid that you can tell.

I agree that injuries have probably kept him at the club. If he were to leave, in todays market and at his age he's got to be worth 20mill. Only thing he needs to do more is shoot, but his game management, vision and touch are genuine class and definitely too good for the Championship. It's inevitable he'll leave one day and I hope he goes on to become world class player.

12 minutes ago, Ramdale said:

Which one of these descriptions is Butterfield? I dont mind Butterfield and think he is a decent player at this level, but we arent going up with him and Hughes as the advanced 2 in midfield. Hughes is top draw and the best around for me. We would be much better off with a box to box player in the Hendrick mould alongside Hughes. I dont think Bryson is the answer anymore. Butterfield off the bench as an option is fine, but he isnt top class. Really poor defensively late in games recently too. Lazy against Wolves and Leeds resulting in us getting over ran in midfield late on.

He was infuriating late in the Wolves game as you say. Kept losing the ball avoiding tackles etc. I'm not a fan I'd takeElsnik over him every day. Bryso for sure. His biggest asset was his goal scoring from the midfield but he can't hit the target this season.

21 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

As I said, it's purely my opinion from my own personal observations of Henderson. I don't think I said that I had formed a view based on someone else's opinion. I accept that some may rate him, that's fair enough.

22 hours ago, Ramdale said:

He gave the ball up a couple of times, he has a tendency to dwell which bugs me. But lazy? No, not having that. For what it's worth, he gave the ball away no more often than Hughes on Saturday. He also had more touches and made more passes than anyone else on the field and nearly scored. I like him. He has his weaknesses, they all do. I'd love him to play more on instinct and get back to scoring special goals. But I won't castigate him for occasionally losing the ball. 

On 11/7/2016 at 17:05, Waffle said:

I wish we'd have sold Bennett and Hughes when they were first touted. Hughes would make it internationally for the likes of Wales/ROI but he'd need to endure the bench at a top 6 and wait for his chance. A move to a Burnley or West Brom will do no favours for his career.

Waffle by name.....

Archived