Will Hughes - Where will the future take him?

RamsPolls

I've seen him close up many times when he's been on song. He's a different class.

£15 million would be stupid. Mel's not stupid.

Mostyn thinks he'd only get in the bottom 6 EPL clubs? I think he'd develop and thrive in any of the top 10 EPL clubs.

Someone said he'll be gone if we don't progress in 2/3 years??? Sadly he'll be gone if we don't go up this season.

I hate to read Derby fans underrating, almost dismissing our only top class player. We'll all miss him when he's gone no matter how much cash we get.

I for one am looking forward to watching Will Hughes play for Derby this season, especially now the management has changed. Who knows when we'll have a player like him at Derby again.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back on topic though... I wouldn't be massively surprised if Will didn't get presented with a massive opportunity - I mean like a Barcelona sized opportunity... and we're all like... crikey... 

I like Will by the way. He's my favourite player. Which I think I've made clear. ?

If Pirlo had made that pass then everyone would be creaming over it.

i'm struggling to think of any other midfielder we've had who has made a pass like that.

anyone?

2 minutes ago, RamNut said:

If Pirlo had made that pass then everyone would be creaming over it.

i'm struggling to think of any other midfielder we've had who has made a pass like that.

anyone?

idiakiz, kinkladzi, biano, eranio, huddelstone and Barnes. Yes, all ancient history 

4 minutes ago, Gypsy Ram said:

idiakiz, kinkladzi, biano, eranio, huddelstone and Barnes. Yes, all ancient history 

Very good except i can't remember any of them ever doing it.

2 minutes ago, Gypsy Ram said:

Del, I'm sick of ppl pointing fun at our dexlecia... It's not funny or smart. 

I know pal ignore then, I was winding you up re farrage bit. Be happy and drink more beers. ???

8 hours ago, RamsPolls said:

There has been a lot of talk about Hughes in the paper and in the pundits worlds these past few days. Even Don Goodman commentating over the game on Saturday said that we were lucky to have kept hold of Hughes for so long. That pass to assist Bent's goal on Saturday was simply world class and is rarely seen in this league.

I think if he hadn't of got injured in the first game at Bolton last season, he could have been playing in the premier league this season, Whether it was with us or not.

The most recent question of his future is because he has been called the "Mesut Ozil" of the championship. In my eyes this is the biggest compliment you could possibly get as an attacking midfielder. 

Link - http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/see-which-derby-county-player-has-been-compared-with-arsenal-star-mesut-ozil/story-29874203-detail/story.html?

We all know that Hughes has great talent, but if we are honest, has he shown a consistent level of his "Magic" over a whole season? I don't think he has. If he does manage to shine through a whole season, We could struggle to keep him on our books if we don't get promoted. 

While I am confident he isn't going anywhere as of yet, I do think that he could be seen as a huge talent to a club like Everton & Southampton who love to bring young players through their academies and introduce them to the premier league. 

I am unsure of to how much a club would realistically have to pay to acquire the services of Hughes. I wouldn't be happy with any figure shy of £15m. I'm not sure if this is me been bias to a Derby player but I wouldn't think the club would accept anything under that for such a huge potential player.

If Hughes were to leave... What club do you think could come in for him? and what sort of fee would you want to be involved? 

You need to get out more.

Too many threads!

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

I see your point.

I'd say that if you look at top midfielders in the Champ then Hughes is right up there with the best of them. For us he's the guy you can pass to when you're Cornered and he'll take it and deal with it. He's the guy that gives you the best ball possible at the best time so you have an easy game. 

To a team that tries to play from the back and a team that essentially looks to create quality chances over snatching half chances that is vital. I think for us to get someone like that again would be very difficult. 

One of the top Championship midfield players was Butterfield. Now we've seen him next to Hughes he appears to be a Hughes Lite. Will Hughes just seems to have a lot of everything. 

What draws attention tends to be a player who can pull out a goal from nowhere several times per season to win points. Hughes here is just focused on finding the best man in the best position. He rarely considers that he might be the best man to finish the move. That's probably why we've managed to hold onto him. 

I do see your point. I just think for what we'd lose that it'd be so hard to play the way we want to play because any replacement would just not quite have that intelligence and instinct. 

If however we were to continue down the Pearson route then Hughes wouldn't be so vital. Pearson doesn't build through the pitch. He's much more focused on testing the opponents backline and organisation as quick as possible. Which sounds great but as we saw it does require different skills from what our lads have. Our best players like to be a bit more in control. 

(with the way we've recruited you wouldn't trust them with £20 would you?)

To be honest, I completely agree with you. I think if he hadn't had his injuries he'd also have departed a while ago. I don't doubt that he's our best talent. However, I do wish we'd cashed in on the 15 year old Bennett when City wanted him.

4 minutes ago, Highgate said:

A winning goal for Derby in the play-off final in May?  Followed by a breakout season in the Premiership, helping Derby sneak into the top half and earning himself a senior England call up alongside a fully fit George Thorne.  Too optimistic?

Ask the question the other way round....which current England players would you swap for a fully fit Will Hughes and George Thorne?

2 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Ask the question the other way round....which current England players would you swap for a fully fit Will Hughes and George Thorne?

That's difficult, I've yet to see them compete at the highest level, maybe they would look less composed and creative against better teams, but it's hard to think of any as comfortable on the ball.  Wilshere would be one, when he can stay out of the treatment room. Alli a little further forward maybe..... hmmmmm...good question actually. 

3 minutes ago, Highgate said:

That's difficult, I've yet to see them compete at the highest level, maybe they would look less composed and creative against better teams, but it's hard to think of any as comfortable on the ball.  Wilshere would be one, when he can stay out of the treatment room. Alli a little further forward maybe..... hmmmmm...good question actually. 

Given Will and George's age and ability i'd struggle to swap them for any current England players.

And @Mostyn6 can stick his rose glasses where the sun don't shine. Sideways.:D

Archived