Wolves vs Derby County - matchday thread.

Rev

They're a beautiful breed of people in Wolverhampton and they deserve better than Nigel Pearson.

I always feel confident when we're on t'telly. 

As long as that Darren Bent doesn't start again. Or that Johnny Russell. Pair o' buggers ruining my matchdays.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Hughes in for Hanson, Johnson goes back to holding. You just have to manage Hanson, tell him he's done well, and earned the trust when he's needed and he'll be getting opportunities if he keeps it up. He'll understand Will coming back in. 

Wide forwards are all a bit much of a muchness, so any 2 of the usual. Back 5 pick emselves.

The only question in my mind is do we start Dazza Bent again? he's got a week for his poor old legs to stop aching, so I think so.

Also, I think we'll lose.....lunchtime, away at wolves.....

I agree with you here @RadioactiveWaste. I'd stick with Bent, played well on saturday and deserves another start.

11 hours ago, brady1993 said:

The problem is Hanson was pretty bad on saturday and made quite a few bad mistakes. A number of times he had the ball stolen from him in dangerous areas leading to some of Wednesday's best attacks, his ball retention wasn't good enough and put us under pressure also he wasn't showing for the ball enough (particularly when the centre backs had it) with the play often bypassing him completing. 

Hughes in for Hanson on saturday we will be a better team for it.

I disagree. He had a very very difficult job considering Bannan had the freedom of the field to dictate play. 

10 hours ago, Dimmu said:

Yes.

What if there would've been Baird playing as CB instead of Pearce... Would you still stick with the same team? Or if old players are included, would you sit Martin on the bench if Sammon played while we won? It would be madness!

If it ain't broke, don't fix it is old wisdom in modern management. Fix it, before it becomes a problem is way better approach.

Baird playing centre back is an awful example as he isn't a centre back... If you'd said Rawson playing centre back then yes stick with a winning team.

you now want to put one of 3 midfielders who are better further forward in defensive midfield in place of a defensive midfielder and pair two very similar midfielders together further upfield as oppose to the contrasting styles of butte field and Johnson. 

We're a better team with Hughes in the side and Hanson didn't play that well. His passing was pretty poor I don't remember a tackle and his marking was dodgy. He left Keogh and Cyrus with an extra runner a few times.

If he'd played really well then fair enough

But I think Johnson has been playing DM better than Hanson did on Saturday and Hughes plays midfield better than anyone. 

Hughes has been playing better than Hanson did. Hanson just hasn't earned his place yet imo. Plenty of time for him. 

Never change a winning team? There's so much more to it. What if a player is under performing and another keeps coming off the bench and impressing? What if a player was playing great and then got suspended? Does he have to wait for valuable points to be lost before coming back? 

You have to play the best team you can. You can't be fair to every player. That would mean the minute you hit bad form then you're gone and that's not always a good thing. 

Some players need to go that extra mile to earn their place. Others are already proven to perform more often than not. Just being part of a winning team doesn't mean you played well

5 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

I disagree. He had a very very difficult job considering Bannan had the freedom of the field to dictate play. 

I agree with what @Alex W mentioned on the podcast that the likely reason Bannan was left alone was so that Johnson and Butterfield could carry Hanson who was looking a liability. On 4 separate occasions he got dispossessed in dangerous positions that directly lead to chances for Wednesday. I like the lad but he was a real hinderance on saturday and it would be correct to drop him.

5 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

you now want to put one of 3 midfielders who are better further forward in defensive midfield in place of a defensive midfielder and pair two very similar midfielders together further upfield as oppose to the contrasting styles of butte field and Johnson. 

Disagree with this. Johnson isn't suited to play in one of the more advanced positions, he just doesn't have enough ability on the ball or enough mobility to buzz around the park. His attributes are far more suited to playing as the CDM for us and he has been performing well there.

I think Hanson must be replaced or we threaten allowing Wolves to play through us, his mistakes lead to 4 major chances for Wednesday. I don't see that happening with Johnson. The old theory of 'never change a winning team' doesn't work if one player in that system was naff. Leicester won the league with a manager nicknamed the 'tinkerman', Benitez too is famous for this and Newcastle seem quite alright with it. It's absolutely fine to change a winning team. 

I'd be tempted to try Darren Bent again despite being away from home, he put in a good performance for us, the only issue is if he will be up to the closing down and harrying that you require when on the road. Having said that, our tactics don't seem to be those of a high pressing team, more so a structured one that mostly holds back and chases when it looks promising (at least on Saturday's evidence), which would be fine for him.

He can certainly play away from home but any poacher is bound to become far less useful if you're not able to at least match an opponent's play, especially when they don't have the pace they once had. The only way to know for sure is to play him, though it'd be no shock nor real issue if Vydra was favored for his pressing. I'd rather be a threat going forward however and in that aspect, with a fit Hughes, I'd prefer to start Bent. Particularly when we should expect to be able to take the game to a Wolves side in rotten form, there'll be no better time this season to go there.

I can't see anything else changing, barring Lowe possibly replacing Ollsson which I'd be happy with. Hanson must be dropped and Bent could go either way. Any decent manager should be able to get much more out of that Wolves team, if not for our frail defense I could see us coming into this one as favorites.

I think he will stay with the winning team, maybe bring Hughes back in.

But this is the team i want to see. Two up front so not isolated.

Carson

Keough           Pearce

Anya                    Hanson                Lowe

Bryson       Hughes      Johnson

Wiemann      Vydra

On 30/10/2016 at 23:35, B4ev6is said:

I tell you why bittness towards nigel pearson he beaten out attacking style of play out of our players he got rid of chris martin were many derby fans want him back.

He got rid of the best goal keeper in the champership in lee grant and did damn best to get rid of our remaing best players.

Bit silly to hold a grudge , he was brought in to do a job ,he was doing it the way he thought best for the long term ,, rightly or wrongly he was dismissed so truth is we none of us can say with any certainty how he would have faired long term ,, Martin did not fit with how he wanted Derby to play in the future so he let him go and bought vydra ,, now here's my thought going forward ,,, having seen vydra I believe he has the technique and vision to be able to be coached into doing what Martin could plus retaining his pace and being able to play on the shoulder and get in behind as well ,, you can't coach pace into Martin so I believe vydra will go on to be a very good player for us ,, that's no slur on Martin ,he was fantastic for us at his best but with the right coaching I think vydra has more potential to play at a higher level if we get there too

13 minutes ago, archied said:

Bit silly to hold a grudge , he was brought in to do a job ,he was doing it the way he thought best for the long term ,, rightly or wrongly he was dismissed so truth is we none of us can say with any certainty how he would have faired long term ,, Martin did not fit with how he wanted Derby to play in the future so he let him go and bought vydra ,, now here's my thought going forward ,,, having seen vydra I believe he has the technique and vision to be able to be coached into doing what Martin could plus retaining his pace and being able to play on the shoulder and get in behind as well ,, you can't coach pace into Martin so I believe vydra will go on to be a very good player for us ,, that's no slur on Martin ,he was fantastic for us at his best but with the right coaching I think vydra has more potential to play at a higher level if we get there too

Paul Lambert favourite now....how underwhelming....

I think Nigel Pearson at Derby was hopeless, I will take the p1$$ out of that. I also think the "Leicester glow" that blinded his advocates to and extent was a bit off putting.

But, I think he did try his best, and although "combustible", I believe he's basically as decent and honourable as you'd expect in any manager.

I don't have any bitterness towards him, and unless his side are against us, wish him well. I do retain a bit towards Davies and Jewell, but that's my personal prejudiced.

Back to Wolves, I though the noise was not likely to be confirmed who is managing them before the weekend. Think Lambert will get it, although Parson is still in it I thought?

A theoretically rudderless struggling Wolves side? I'm still not confident.....

6 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Being silly i am well how many strikers can score 63 goals in three season not many and spcail in the champership.

True, but he did give Baird his chance at left back.

2 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

He got rid of jake buxton who loves derby and it showed he gives blood sweat and tears and never scared putting his body on the line.

What actually is "putting body on the line"??? You mean actually doing his job..... I suppose I do my job to the best of my ability.... I must be putting my body on the line.... or my brain.... yes that's it... I put my brain on the line because I get paid for it.... wake up... these players are not messiahs... jake Buxton was not a legend.... yes he gave his all but does that make him a legend? On this logic most on here would say "tito Villa" was a legend... I say a waste of money and a headless chicken but no accounting for intelligence I guess

2 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Being silly i am well how many strikers can score 63 goals in three season not many and spcail in the champership.

I meant silly to hold a grudge against Pearson given that rightly or wrongly he was outed about nine games into a three year contract with a group of players assembled before he arrived who had already proved that they could be fantastic or utter rubbish in equal measure with no ryme or reason to the massive swing in performance ,, forming an opinion whether he would have done a good job or not given proper time is one thing but holding a grudge against him ?? Really?

Just don't like the bloke. Never have. Don't really want to hear from anyone how 'ard they are. He seems a smug, arrogant bell end. 

Can't like everyone in the world.

And then he ruined a decent team and sold players i like. 

Don't wish death on the bloke. But I'd rather pooh on his doorstep than bake him a cake. 

Archived